1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How 'Bout a Little Praise for the Pig

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3, Jan 14, 2000.

1. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Yeah, Im going to admit at first i really made fun of him. I thought he was the same thing as last year, but now i see he has changed. This guy hustles alot, plus he has lost alot of weight. He is a very nice player to have.

One thing I think he needs to work on is, try not to make silly fouls.

2. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Alot of people claim not to look at someones stats when they are playing for a poor team. Should this apply to Pig, and the Rox?

Not that Im bagging on Pig. He's proven to deserve at least a second look once his contract is up.

3. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I thought he hustled last year and that we would have kept him over someone like T-Ham. I was kind of excited to be getting him back. Now, I don't mean to tout him as the second coming or something, but I don't think the bashing he got was warranted (when it was mentioned that he would be coming back). He looks better physically, like he has made a commitment to his career. With T-Mass on the IR and Hamilton being waived, The Pig will probably finish the year here. Who is for trying to get this guy a new nickname?

4. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Pig is listed at 6' 11". Is that right or is this like Barkley's height listing? Anyway he is playing with intensity and fire. You gotta love that even if you are hoping for a high draft pick.

------------------
    There can be only one...

5. popeye

popeye Member

B-ball Freak

I agree with your assessment, especially about his hustle last year.He's in so uch better shape, that he looks like a whizz out there sometimes. Course just standing beside Hamilton tends to make a someone look like they are racing.

Ya know, when we picked up TMass and a couple others that we "had" to take to balance the cap with our Francis trade and subsequently ended up with even more "dead weight flotsum" with the Pippen thing, I kept thinking to myself, we could be using Pig Miller and Sam Mack from last year, and still be ahead talent-wise.

Mack eventually became a more convoluted issue than was necesaary, but Pig was out there, picking up a couple contracts and being released, biding his time waiting for the call. He stayed in shape and looks really, and I mean really, easy in his role. I mean, he is getting it done with economy of effort and steady consistency on almost every possesion.

If I was T. Hamilton's or T. Massenburg's agent I would have been looking for a quiet place to hide my client until this guy cools off. Hamilton is now "quietly" waiting to be picked up. Let's hope TMass finds another team to play for, because I have been getting old while hoping he will ever return after each of his many injuries and "recoveries" from injuries.

BTW: I remember Pig telling Murph the story of how he came by the name "Pig". I can't remember it exactly, but I remember laughing my butt off at it. He's had for a very long time. It may be impossible to unseat him from that monicker.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Popeye, question for you. By using "quotes" when you mention TMass' "injuries" and "recoveries", do you have reason to believe that he may not be as injured as people think?

Just wondering because I found that interesting.

[​IMG]

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think Pig is a perfectly fine nickname for him. Perhaps it isn't the most flattering name in the world, but it's offbeat and unusual, unlike, say, the 4 or 5 Big Dogs we have in the league. He's earned the name, which I think makes it doubly valuable.

8. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I remember bashing Pig at the beginning of last season. I think it was more of a dislike for the type of players the organization was picking up, and I lumped him in with the rest. But, I quickly grew to like him. I couldn't figure out why we got rid of him.

I watched the game last night versus the Warriors and I didn't notice him being any more 'in shape' than last year, but I saw the same hustle that he brought to the floor.

He's definitely not great and he's not even young, but he's just what this team needs: A role player that hustles his ass off.

KEEP THE PIG

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

9. Isabel

Isabel Member

I think Pig likes his nickname. He has "OINK!" tattooed on his arm, right? Something like that.

Didn't he get the nickname from the way he ate his food when he was little? Or was that someone else? Though when I saw his face I could see where the nickname might come from... no offense Pig we're glad to have you back... [​IMG]

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Pig Miller is almost averaging double figures in rebounds for us while playing only 24 minutes. Last night he collected 13 boards in a mere 27 minutes. This guy could be perfect for our team -- a big body who gets out of the way on offense and hustles and crashes the boards on defense. He can also put the ball in the hole from in close, and according to Rudy, 'knows how to cut to the basket'. I rate him ahead of Massenburg at this point. While Tony's probably a better overall player, I think Pig will be able to give us more per minute, a necessity for a bench player. If he doesn't stick after his 10 days are up, I'm not sure what else a guy has to do.

11. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Yes, he is hungry.
    It seems that his hustle is a positive influence on KT.
    They talked about the conditioning that
    he did while out of the league.

TMass? Out of sight and not expected to do much. IF he would ever come back this season, bound to be in poor condition.

Mango

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Pig has managed to silence the critics. I recall plenty of Pig bashing in here when he was signed, but they haven't said much since his first game. Good job Pig.

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Sorry, I can't help it.

I told ya'll so!

------------------
    Tanking is not acceptable. End of story.

14. alaskansnowman

If Pig continues to hustle and go crazy, then we should keep him. I don't want him to suddenly start complaining about minutes and crap like that(i.e. thomas hamilton).

But I know Piggy wont do that. He is tite and I think he will always continue to hustle and not complain about playing time. He should be happy with whatever mintues he gets, and by God I think he will.

A big body that hustles, rebounds, and is in good shape(supposedly)... I think we should keep him.

15. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Anyone who plays with a Darn Toothpick in his mouth MUST be tough!! Keep the Pig!!

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I must admit it's good to see Pig get his
    minutes and his praise.

He reminds me of Mr.Mean Larry Smith
    but not as mean.
    He is the Ruff Ragged and Raw PF
    we need [coming off the bench]
    If only we can get someone with a lil more
    Talent to go with that hustle
    [not saying he is not talented]

I'm ready for the Upgrade