1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about Lee Benson at #15?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, May 24, 2002.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I know I have been jocking Benson for a little while now but he could be just as worthy of a selection even though he is 29

Draft rumors: Is Lee Benson a first-rounder?

Lee Benson has overcome a lot in his life. Try eight years and eight months at the Warren Correctional Institute in Lebanon, Ohio for starters.

But after one year dominating junior college play (35.6 points and 13.6 rebounds per game), the 29-year-old Benson is trying to overcome his biggest obstacle of all -- not his criminal record -- but father time.

Benson has the size (6-foot-11, 232 pounds), toughness and basketball skills to be a lottery pick. Insider talked to several teams that have worked him out. All gave him very high reviews.

"First of all, he's a great kid," one league executive told Insider. "His game is still a bit raw, but he's a great ballhandler and shooter for someone his size. He runs the floor great, is a solid rebounder and can even block shots. On talent, he's a top pick. But 29 year olds just aren't lottery picks."

Instead, league sources say Benson is likely to fall into the second round, where there's much less risk. Even if he goes undrafted, several teams told Insider they'd give him a shot as a free agent.

Benson had his highest-profile workout to date Wednesday for the Suns, playing with high school stud Amare Stoudemire.

"We always like to talk about upside," coach Frank Johnson told the Arizona Republic. "And I don't know where he can go from here. But there are some things I do like about him. He works very hard. He's a very polite young man. He handles the ball well. He shoots it from the outside. He's certainly more mature than most guys coming out of college."

Benson just wants a chance to prove himself. "I think my chances are just as good as anybody else in the draft because I work just as hard as everyone else, maybe harder," he said. "The only thing is, will they take a chance on my age? I feel like I'm still 19. I'm learning the game still, but I think I can play another 10 or 15 years. It depends on if I get a shot."

2. NJRocket

IMO, if the Rox (or any team for that matter) are willing to spend a MCE on a veteran player who is 29 or 30 anyway, then whats the difference if you draft a 29 yr old and pay him the rookie wage? Granted, with a true rookie you have the opportunity to lock a 20 yr old guy up for 4 yrs and then possibly a max contract for another 6 or 7 but if we could get 4-6 good years out of a guy the way players move around these days, then whats the harm? Is Borchardt or Ely going to really make that big of a splash in the NBA? Amare would be tought to pass up but as for the other big men?

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The difference is that when you sign a free agent, you aren't giving up anything. At #15, there will be some attractive, young players available. If you use that pick on Benson, then you're givining up the chance to take one of those guys.

4. NJRocket

Not necesarily true AE...by signing one FA, you are passing on another...there is always the risk of not signing the right guy...just like in the draft.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he is deffinitly worth our second round pick. im not sure im willing to give up #15 however.

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

NJ,

Yeah, you can sign another FA, but most times the guy you're passing on isn't a younger player with equal or more talent.

Of course a Ming/Benson first round would be the ultimate question mark draft.

The other reason not to draft Benson is that he's a PF and we've got a slew of them. If they go Ming at #1 and hang on to #15, then they have to take a SF.

7. NJRocket

True...if we take Ming, we will almost certainly take a 3 with the #15. But if we happen to trade down, draft Butler or Dunleavy, then is Benson an option?

FWIW...funny story...my buddy works for a bank where Glen Rice has an account so he called his house to give a "coutesy call".. Knowing I am a Rocket fan, he let me listen in on conference. Rice's wife answered and he eventually asked her who Glen thinks the Rox are taking. She said "Glen said they are probably taking the big chinese guy"