1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about John Lackey

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketMania1991, Nov 9, 2009.

1. RocketMania1991

Lackey has proven he can be a great #2 or even ace, and would be a nice pickup for an Astros team looking to find rotation depth behind Roy Oswalt.

The Astros appear to be headed back to the old ways of pitching and defense (which is good).
    Signing Lackey with a healthy Oswalt, and Rodriguez would show the fans that the team is doing its best to improve and create a fairly dominate front 3 in the rotation.

A rotation of
    Oswalt
    Lackey
    Rodriguez
    Norris
    Moehler

Would be a huge upgrade over what we had last year, and with our mediocre offense, allow us to even contend in the central.

Lackey will probably be pursued by a multitude of teams, but Lackey is a Texas grown boy, who would surely love to come back for the right price.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I think it has zero chance of happening. He will cost way too much. Astros will lower payroll this coming season. Would be a great signing but I think he will get somewhere close to $82.5M, five-year deal AJ Burnett got last year.

3. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Why would he come here? We will suck next year.

He is from Texas but not from Houston so I think he is more likely to go to Texas Rangers.

I just don't think we can spend the money needed. Don't get me wrong I would love to have Lackey but I just don't see us spending the money required.

He will require 4yr/60mil

4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

5. RocketMania1991

If we don't sign Lackey this year, Drayton has to go after one of the big name pitchers next year.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Pitching wins so I am down if were not rebuilding...Always said Uncle D isn't cheap just hasn't allocated his money in the right spots since 2005, this would be the right spot.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Biggest problem for the Rangers is in the ownership. I'm sure ole' Nolan would love to have Lackey. Problem is, I believe MLB has given ownership a mandate to sell by a certain point not in the distant future. Hicks is probably going to be hesitant to take on any salary until a sale is complete.

It would certainly be worth the Astros time to at least inquire as to what Lackey's demands are. I doubt they'll be involved at the end, but it would be worth it to try. He'd certainly make the rotation better.

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rangers are not going to spend any money until they find a new owner. I think MLB is running this team for all intents and purposes.

10. Major

Major Member

What have you seen/heard that indicates this?

11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Uncle D said they are cutting payroll this year.

Are you ready for some mediocrity?

13. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I know!

You guys really think Drayton is going to get one of the top pitchers on the FA market? Maybe if we were close, and the only hole was pitching but this team is in the gutter for a couple years :(