1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston's new theme park: Earth Quest Adventures

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheGM, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

i work at the fire station across the street from where this place is supposed to be built. apparently my department has started to pass bonds so the fire department can be prepared for the special needs of this place . so i guess you could say its a pretty sure thing.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I can't wait to go on an Earth Quest in Houston about mid-August.

3. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Coincidentally I just read that the Mission:Space ride at Epcot (might go there next weekend) cost $100 million. I agree about the $600 million price tag.

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

just the new place to have gangs and sell crack if you ask me.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Astroworld was closed? Why? When?

Nevermind, I just read the wikipedia entry.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

It would be great for the Houston area if it is indeed profitable, but that's the key. I'm wondering how viable it could be, in a state that already has two major theme parks. And if I'm not mistaken hasn't the whole amusement park industry been in trouble for awhile now. I just read not too long ago that Six Flags would start serving alcohol, I guess in an effort to generate more revenue.

But then I guess if they create in the vain of the Disney Parks, that could be something unique to Texas and this region, so it very well could be profitable.

7. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

Probably because it is right next to the airport. The people planning this probably expect it to become a national attraction with people flying in from all over to visit.

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You mean the company that is near bankruptcy? Who knows. :confused:

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Are dinosaurs still cool?

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I know right? Hot as hades...how is anyone going to go there during the summer?

DD

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Earthquest sounds like a recipe for mosquitos and humidity with all those trees and all that water.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I remember reading about this place a year or so ago.

I was wondering to myself the other day if they would actually follow through and build it with our economy so bad right now.

I was at Universal studios / disney world a couple of weeks ago for spring break. Place was pretty dead, although it got really full for the mardi gra parades.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

interesting that theme parks would be built right now. there are several here in so cal and i think all of them with the exception of disneyland are all not doing so hot. I remember the six flags out here which has some of the best roller coasters in the country was going to be shut down because they wanted to use the land to build new houses and condos. i dont think that went through but i still think it is operating at a loss or a super slim margin.

i havent been there in ages myself or any of the other theme parks i went to universal studios hollywood about 2 years back but that place never was a huge draw it had a decent amount of people there but it on average drew the smallest crowds out of the 4 major parks here.

14. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

Are you talkin about Magic Mountain?? I had heard that also, about it closing to build homes. I went this past summer, had a blast. :cool:

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

yeah magic mountain the place is awesome it has one of the craziest roller coasters i have ever seen in X2

i heard the investors who were looking into buying the land pulled out since there was enough public uproar and the housing market fell and people couldnt buy homes so it wasnt a good investment anymore.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I freaking loved Magic Mountain
    (Tatsu !!). And why? Because it reminded me of Astroworld.

I guess what I'm saying is that there is a big difference rivaling a theme park to Six Flags vs. rivaling a theme park to Disney.

As someone said before, if you don't attach a cartoon mascot/sponsor a la Knottsberry (Snoopy), Six Flags (WB/Looney Tunes) or Disney(Mickey, Donald and Friends); there is not going to be droves of tourists coming out to see a pseudo Jurassic Park. Not in New Caney.

I mean, why not just CALL IT JURASSIC PARK? That would be a pretty cool idea, then at least it would be rivaling Animal Kingdom in Orlando.

This looks like paradise on paper but I don't see it working in the long run...

17. kikimama

kikimama Member

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&amp;msid=105101649120237764632.000459b043449e7bc209c&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=30.166798,-95.202928&amp;spn=0.013505,0.059653&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&amp;msid=105101649120237764632.000459b043449e7bc209c&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=30.166798,-95.202928&amp;spn=0.013505,0.059653&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

18. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I'm going to go with the land is cheaper.

19. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Seriously. If they called it Jurassic Park, they would make so much money.

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

doe anyone remember when Splashtown operated as Hanna Barbara Land?