1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houstonia] If You Think the Move to the AL West Sucks...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeff, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

...wait until you see their stadiums.

Story online. First issue of Houstonia Magazine hits stands on Thursday.

http://www.houstoniamag.com/arts-and-entertainment/sports/articles/bowl-movements-march-2013

WE KNOW YOU’RE GRUMPY about the Astros moving to the American League. You hate the designated hitter. There is no way you’re going to stay up late for road games on the West Coast. Who are these teams, anyway? All you know about them is what you’ve gleaned from punch lines in Jay Leno monologues.

That’s it, you say. I’m done. But then you see this article and think, there must be a bright side to all this league-leaving stuff, because when it comes to those rah-rah city mags, the glass is always half full, right? Not this time, fella.

Have you seen the ballparks in the ’Stros’ new division? Thinking about taking a road trip this summer to cheer them on? Get ready for the saddest stadium tour of your life, baseball fan.

When it comes to diamond domiciles, Minute Maid Park is something to be proud of — and the Astros’ home was just one of the National League’s standouts. Busch Stadium in St. Louis might be the coolest in all of baseball, what with those panoramic views of the Gateway Arch. Wrigley Field and its ivy-covered outfield walls? Also cool. And PNC Park (Pittsburgh), Miller Park (Milwaukee), and Great American Ball Park (Cincinnati) are no slouches either.

But the AL West? That’s where ballparks go to die.

Rangers Ballpark, Arlington, TX. Sure, it’s fairly nice on the inside, but the only lovely view from the grandstands you’d have, if you weren’t deep inside the caldera of its crater-like interior, is of Six Flags next door. And what is that but a nagging reminder of the heartless thugs who tore down our beloved AstroWorld? Plus, you know, Dallas. Blech.

Safeco Field, Seattle, WA. Okay, this stadium isn’t so bad, until you consider the fact that they’re still grumbling about cost overruns incurred during its construction more than 15 years ago. Oh, and those cost overruns? $100 million. For that price, the restrooms ought to have heated, fur-covered toilet seats next to solid gold bidets.

Angel Stadium, Anaheim, CA. But the biggest disasters are in—where else?—California. This ballpark dates back to 1966, although it’s been renovated more times than the back lot of a movie set, which is fitting considering it’s been used in some truly awful movies, including Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch. That’s a real movie. Look it up.

O.co Coliseum, Oakland, CA. But the Angels’ garbage heap looks like the Taj Mahal compared to this crappy, dual-purpose stadium (the last one in the country to host both baseball and football). It sits astride a suburban freeway and positively reeks of urine and shame, thanks mostly to Raider Nation. If Moneyball left you with any doubt about the A’s ability to do more with less, you have only to visit this place. And if you’ve any doubt about their ability to do less with more, two words: Jose Canseco.

Bottom line: There’s both good news and bad here for ’Stros fans. The good: at last, you’ll appreciate Minute Maid Park, suddenly the undisputed El Dorado of the AL West (if only by default), a stadium so great you’ve no reason to leave home. The bad: if you change your mind, you’ll need a tetanus shot before getting on the road.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The Ballpark at Arlington is nice, been there several times and have always enjoyed it

Could care less about the rest of the ballparks in our new division, I won't be going to them anyway

I just want the Astros to be good again

3. msn

msn Member

The Ballpark is nice. Just hot as hell. (really? open air in Dallas? bahahahahahaaaa...)

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

spring and fall games are super nice...summer, its a fn sauna and don't get tickets in left field, the sun will fry you...

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Disagree about Angels Stadium. While the view outside the stadium isn't much (pretty much just looking at the 57 Freeway), the stadium itself is nice. When you figure in the weather, it's even better as it's outdoors. My biggest client is in Anaheim and I plan to add a couple extra meetings there this year when the Astros are in town.

6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

So, basically, he admits that the Rangers and Mariners have nice ballparks and that the Angels is old, but still not bad.

Congrats on spending 500 words to break the news that the A's ballpark sucks.

1 person likes this.
  7. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Didn't realize you wrote it, Jeff.

Normally I like your stuff, but I disagree with you here.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Honestly, this is just someone looking for something negative to write about the Astros, plain and simple. I mean i'm sure a few Astros fans will do some road trips this year, maybe even all the way out West. But the masses could really care less about how nice of a stadium Oakland, Anaheim, Seattle and even Texas has.

9. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Having been to Angel Stadium, SafeCo and the Ballpark in Arlington, I can say that they are two of the nicer parks I have seen.

Angel Stadium is dated, I will agree with that, but it is still a refreshing stadium. I recall right field being an open type breeze way beyond the fountain, and it had a nice feel to it. Let's be honest though: if anyone is complaining about a ballpark where they get to see Pujols and Trout play, then they don't understand the game of baseball. Worry about the stadium in a decade when you need a new stadium to carry the interest of fans.

SafeCo is unique in its food and open air atmosphere. If you can catch a summer game there, it will remind Texans why the game should only be played outdoors (if it is under 90). The food was amazing, and I am pretty sure its the only time I am going to eat decent scallops at a ballgame.

Arlington, though next to Six Flags which isn't a big deal, is nestled in a grove of sorts that's sole purpose is to appease Ranger fans. Perfect for tailgating. I will say, it being 92 degrees in the 8th inning a of a summer game... at night... is miserable of sorts, but that is the only fatal flaw of the park. Due to the Rangers recent success, it is very lively and a reminder that baseball is a beloved sport.

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I like the Ballpark in Arlington..but it really is miserable on those Sunday 2pm games in the late summer. As far being forced to visit Dallas while attending a game here..Fort Worth is actually closer to the Ballpark, and its a much much cooler city to visit.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Sorry, but that's a bad article.

Safeco is bad because it cost more than it was supposed to.

Angel Stadium is bad because it is old and renovated. (in an article that said good things about Wrigley?)

The Ballpark at Arlington is bad because you can see Six Flags. (I guess?)

1 person likes this.
  12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

In fairness, Wrigley is historic, and the NL Central stadiums > AL West stadiums.

I may be going to Busch stadium for the first time to catch an Astros game this year. May even go to Wrigley. Something ironic about that.

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Dude, Safeco is awesome.

I've never heard anything bad about Angel Stadium either.

14. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking when reading this..

15. juicystream

PNC Park - Opened 2001
    MMP - Opened 2000
    Busch Stadium - Opened 2006
    Great American Ballpark - Opened 2003
    Miller Park - Opened 2001
    Wrigley Field - Opened 1914

Amazingly, we were the oldest park in the NL Central with the exception of Wrigley. We are the newest in the AL West. Oakland will hopefully be moving to a new park in San Jose in a few years.

16. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

The only problem with Arlington is the sun. It gets ridiculously hot if you're in the sun during the game (day games or early night games). Think the Orange Oven of the Dynamo kind of hot.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

What a bizarre angle for an article. The move to the AL sucks because the stadiums aren't awesome (on TV nonetheless??) . umm, ok.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's not really the only problem with that ballpark...but it is the biggest.

The fact that it's in the middle of nowhere and yet built like an urban ballpark is just goofy. The fact that they had to build the grandstands so high because there's literally nothing to see but parking lot detracts from it, I think.

19. juicystream

The 3 serious falls that occurred in that stadium's history resulting in 1 death stands out to me as the biggest.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah...I totally forgot about that. Those are problematic, to say the least.