1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston We Have A Power Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 3, 2013.

1. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

We better have a PF. Morey got like a hundred of them...

2. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

I remember everyone here hyped up on D-Mo and Royce White during summer league while T-Jones quietly did his thing.

Morey and the front office seem to have been infatuated with Thomas Robinson.

T-Jones doesn't have Robinson's overall athleticism. He doesn't have D-Mo's 7'0 length and post skills. He doesn't have Royce White's play-making abilities.

What he is though, is a much more complete PF and player than all our other prospects. He's got better length than Robinson and he actually knows how to play. He's got a better motor, better base strength and better defensive awareness than D-Mo. He's got a better head and work ethic than White.

Greg Smith and Jones should be our rotational PFs. Jones has better upside than Greg Smith who is almost a tweener PF/C but is still a very good rotational big.

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Hell, Bynum probably has a better work ethic than White.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Anyone who showed up for training camp does.

5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

What bothers me about this is that SO MANY posters here and Rockets fans in general felt that Jones was out best power forward following Summer League and expected him to take the starting spot soon.

And if you watched his DLeague games, it was just obvious he had the be combination of skills, potential and athleticism out of our fours even after the Robinson trade.

So why is he just now getting significant PT? either our coaching staff really dropped that ball here, or the kid has a serious drawback that we don't know about. Either way, it just bothers me that one of those is true.

6. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I agree. Until Dmo can bulk up and man up, you gotta give minutes to TJ. I would try to trade Trob for a high draft pick. We could use some youth and talent at SG.

7. Little General

Yes he can. TJones can shoot 3's. He has done it multiple times in the DLeague. Btw he was dominating there.

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

The new reserved DD isn't as fun as he was...

But yeah 1 good game doesn't credit him being the future... He has been on the d league and bench all year for a reason...

9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Or future pf had arrived...

...Now introducing Chandler Parsons...

10. dayanm

dayanm Member

We had MM and PP, whom we were showcasing for trades. Then we got TRob and TJ got injured. But there were stretches of times where everybody was wondering why his not on the floor. we had 4pages dedicated to him stepping on the court in the game thread. Go figure

11. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Donte Greene had a superb summer league. Terrence Williams averaged a triple double in the D-league. Just because you did well in those lower leagues doesn't mean you are going to contribute towards winning plays at the professional level.

12. dayanm

dayanm Member

We all knew TJ can score, his 12rebs tonight was particularly impressive.. now he needs NBA level training for D.

13. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

I followed Jones while he was in D-League. He suffered a foot injury and a thumb injury which would have been setbacks. Based on his play and interactions with the media, he didn't seem to indicate any problems with the organisation, D-Mo on the other hand did comment about lack of NBA playing time.

It just seems that Jones was always last on the pecking order, and Robinson immediately jumped him. I don't think management or coaching staff saw much in Jones. Maybe his play in practice wasn't particularly outstanding either. When you look at D-Mo in a vacuum, I could see him impressing in practice and standing out cf. another 6'8-6'10 PF. Hell when I reviewed preseason practice footage the only players that impressed me were Kevin Martin, Parsons and Asik. I thought Lin might have been a bust, so practice isn't always reflective of NBA play, but coaching staff when they drew up their depth boards would only be able to assess Jones et. al on the premise of their practice sessions.

14. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

This is only one game but I really like Tjones, been following his play in D-League too and I just like how he plays. Athletic, has size, tenacious rebounder, capable shooter but inconsistent, and overall just skilled. If it all clicks with him he can be a force to be reckon with on the Rockets.

15. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I tend to believe the coaching staff dropped the ball. No real excuse for Jones just now getting a chance. Better late than never though.

16. basketballholic

I'd like to know what our Reb%, overall, and offense/defense were when Asik and TJones were playing in tandem.

17. Mariachi ROCKET

Hes way better than T-Rob for dayuuum sure! And can make free throws!!! No Effin brainer Coach!

18. dayanm

dayanm Member

Tjones is a winner, he forfeited his first opportunity for draft to get a NCAA title, and he got it. Off the NBA court, I know nothing about him, whether he farted in McHale's face or not, I can only guess.

19. instar

instar Member

He looked great. Scored, Rebounded, and moved the ball. Absolutely did everything You'd ask from the PF position.

20. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Low Motor, like 8 offensive rebounds.