1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston, we have a coach.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Apr 24, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I like him and McHale. McHale was here more for molding Harden's foundation as a franchise player

D'Antoni is here for strategy and top down from Les to ball boy everyone is on the same page

#41 pgabriel, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    hakeem94 likes this.
  2. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Never liked McHale. Hated the signing since the beginning. Hated even more when Morey extended his contract.

FLASH21, FTW Rockets FTW and mario_v like this.
  3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Someone bring up the hire thread with the poll going 9-1 against MDA.

I was one of them, just scared he would run the team with no real agenda. I was wrong, MDA is underrated.

Sets Harden as PG
    Calls most time outs right
    Calls obvious plays, like Hack a Roberson, this would have missed by Milkhair
    Has a pretty good rotation calendar keeping players fresh
    Lets players play, doesnt ask them to do something out of their comfort zone (obviously Harden is a another story)
    Surrounded himself with good assistants

We def got more than we hoped.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You must admit though that MDA is FAAAAAAAR more than just better than bottom tier. He is clearly an elite offensive coach the way JVG was an elite defensive coach. And our defensive problems are more personnel related than coaching related. I doubt there are more than 2 active coaches who would achieve better than 3rd highest net rating in the NBA with this roster.

Vivi likes this.
  5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Mike AntoniO is a current top 5 NBA coach

Kevin McFail was a bottom 5 NBA coach of all time if not worse. That's how much Milk Hair sucked.

Vivi likes this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Kevin McHale and the Rockets maximized the roster in 2015

That team went as far as it could

That being said the 2014 team could have competed for a championship

Their failure was team wide

7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I'm not buying into the "Houston, we have a coach" until Mike D'Antoni has the balls to bench Ryan Anderson, and send him a message that he's playing like trash, and needs to get his act together. Good coaches do that.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Agreed. We didn't need a rah,rah guy. We needed someone head strong that knew how to coach men.

9. BackdoorHarden

MikeD destroyed College Coach BillyD.

I can't believe he didn't take out Roberson. MIkeD was smart and listened to Harden and never played Clint after sucking so badly in the 3rd quarter

10. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Paging Jeff Bzdelik ... When the Thunder have 0.8 seconds to shoot, and there's a jump ball at the free-throw circle, and Westbrook is standing alone outside the 3-point line waiting for the ball to be tipped to him, you might want to put a defender between him and the ball.

Hakeemtheking and Deuce like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would consider 3 defenders.

12. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Coach made an interesting comment a few days ago where he said COTYs usually get fired the next season, since they don't match the previous season's success ... I wonder how common that's actually been in the past.

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Bev was the nearest to Westbrook. Considering that he likely heard what Adams told Westbrook (that he was going to miss the 2nd ft on purpose), I am surprised Bev was not there to defend that play.