1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans Training Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by david_rocket, Jul 3, 2012.

1. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

So the dates for the 2012 Training camp are:

Rookies: July 22

Veterans: July 27

Only two more months for the regular season!!! :cool:

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !

3. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Thank God. While the Astros' future seems bright and there may be better days ahead for the Rockets...the Texans have arrived, to say the least. Here's to a productive, drama-free training camp!

4. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

I plan on attending one of their open to the public practice sessions. Can't wait for some football!

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

WTF, you couldn't wait. This thread is too premature, but I like it!

6. nef2005

nef2005 Member

Early, yes. However it does provide a bit of a reprieve from all this Dwight nonsense, as well as help us forget the Astros. As such, I'm all for it!

7. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Are the Texans still gonna practice with the Saints? I know they canceled that last year, but not sure if it was a one time thing.

8. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

No joint practices with the Saints this year. The reason is because that game is the 3rd preseason game instead of the 2nd game. Kubiak switches into regular season mode for the 3rd preseason game, and the schedule follows what a normal regular season week is like.

It's unlikely the Texans will scrimmage with the 49ers before the second preseason game. I think we would have heard something by now if they were planning any joint practices.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That seriously had me laughing. :grin:

"Have to spread rep..."

Can't wait till next season. Will be driving down to Houston for a open practice.

12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

So it seems Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson are going to be 100% or near that when training camp starts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...schaub-leads-houston-texans-throwing-sessions

Matt Schaub leads Houston Texans' throwing sessions

By Marc Sessler

The Houston Texans found a way to win without Matt Schaub down the stretch last season. It was a nice story, but we're left wondering what could have been with the veteran quarterback under center.

Schaub, on the road back from a season-ending Lisfranc injury, told the team's official website he's 100 percent and plans to be ready for camp. The quarterback put his repaired foot -- and his arm -- to work Thursday during a throwing session with a cast of Texans skill players. They've been at it all week with anywhere from six to a dozen players, including Andre Johnson, returning from arthroscopic knee surgery.

Schaub and friends have labeled the soiree "Texans East" (Translation: a University of Houston field roughly six miles east of Reliant Stadium), a playful jab as Mark Sanchez's ponderously over-publicized "Jets West" gatherings.

"Right now, the rookies are at the symposium -- the drafted guys. Come next week," Schaub said, "I expect all them to be out there. Andre's been out there and a few other veterans. Right now, some of them have taken a little break, but we'll come back here next week or just after the Fourth so we'll have three good weeks after that to really get after it."

Schaub isn't mentioned among the game's top passers, but he deserves more notice. He's mastered coach Gary Kubiak's West Coast system and he's one of the conference's more accurate passers. Durability has been an issue for Schaub, and it contributed to the Texans' demise last season. It would have been a treat to see what he could have done against that Ravens defense in the playoffs.

No more broken bones down in Texas, and we might find out in 2012.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

My God the Texans cannot take the field soon enough. I think the month of July needs to fly by ASAP simply for the collective mental health of Houston sports fans everywhere. The Rockets and the Astros are trying to make sure we all go into a horrific spiral of depression before the Texans season begins. However, for once, it doesn't feel like the light at the end of the tunnel is a train....and that's because of the Texans. I never thought I'd say those words......

14. TejasTom

TejasTom Member

That's what she said;)

15. Raven

Raven Member

Less than two months until game one.

:grin:

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That article says we run a West Coast offense? I thought West Coast offenses were known for short, intermediate routes that move down the field slowly. Our seems to be more of a vertical passing game, especially when Andre is healthy. Or am I wrong?

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

When I think vertical passing attack I'm thinking Mike Martz and the greatest show on Turf. We haven't been that vertical since losing K.Shanahan. But this is definitely west coast offense, timing routes and spreading the field out horizontally. The coaching tree is Gary>Shanahan>Seifert>Walsh

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Kubiak's system isn't pure West Coast,* though it has some similarities. He runs a bootleg offense, which is highly dependent on the run game setting up the pass.

On passing downs, I would not call it a vertical scheme - that's where you have a pocket passer sending 3 deep, like the Giants or Saints. In Kubiak's boot, they're more concerned with creating holes in zone coverage:
    The boot itself ideally pulls one or two defenders out of coverage (SS, LB)
    Andre usually runs a deep/skinny post opposite the boot, taking a second DB with him (FS)
    Walter runs a ~15 yard crossing route, ideally placing himself behind the LBs playing forward on the boot but well forward of the safeties (assuming SS on boot, FS on Andre)
    OD runs an out, slant, curl, etc in the flats or just behind the LBs
    (*Walter and OD may switch)
    Foster/Tate act as safety valve after the boot

As made clear in each of the last two years, this scheme goes completely to pot when Andre is not able to stretch the defense and create the massive holes for Walter/OD to slip into. None of the other corps members are able to consistently get open without him pulling away two DBs deep.

We'll find out if one of our rookies is able to bring more playmaking into the fold.

*West Coast is a scheme where you nickel and dime defenses with short throws in place of a typical run game. The Patriots are the current poster boys for that today. You try and suck in the DBs with the dink-dink-dink to set up the dunk (sending the guys deep on fly routes with the safeties to close in to get back).

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...out-2012/9945c3a9-b05f-4c1d-856e-d4ca8b196072

Daniels working with Schaub, "fired up" about 2012
    Posted Jul 10, 2012
    By Nick Scurfield

Texans tight end Owen Daniels is enjoying his offseason on the heels of his first fully healthy season since 2008.

A 2008 Pro Bowler, Daniels tore his ACL midway through the 2009 season and missed five games in 2010 with a hamstring injury. He started 15 regular-season games in 2011 and led the Texans with 54 catches and 677 receiving yards. He could be primed for an even bigger 2012 with the departure of No. 2 tight end Joel Dreessen in free agency.

“It’s been great, man,” Daniels said of his offseason on Monday at Reliant Stadium. “It’s been a little different. These last three offseasons have been different. We had the one before the CBA, then we had the lockout offseason, now we’ve got this offseason, so it’s just kind of been nice to have a little bit more freedom in terms of once we’ve had our OTAs and mini-camps and all those workouts and stuff. That was good for all of us to get together. Now, it’s kind of staying in shape and having that type of freedom to do some different stuff from what we were doing here working out, kind of supplement what we were doing here.”

Daniels has been participating in the players-only throwing sessions led by quarterback Matt Schaub, who missed OTAs because of a foot injury, at the University of Houston.

“That’s been going well,” he said. “Catching a pass or two just playing catch is one thing when he was rehabbing, but he feels great. I know he’s heading out (to Charlotte, N.C.) to get checked out (Tuesday) and released for good. I know he’s been waiting on that for a while. He’s been feeling good for a while. It’s good to get that type of work in, get a little bit of knocking the rust off, so to speak, in terms of our relationship throwing and catching the ball, just a little ramping up toward camp. It’s good that we get a chance to do that.”

Coming off a 10-6 season and the Texans’ first-ever trip to the playoffs, Daniels and his teammates are understandably excited about the upcoming season.

“I think we’re pretty fired up,” he said. “I think our expectations are super high. I know outside of the building, the expectations are high, but none higher than they are in here. So we’ve got a lot of good work in. I think we’re way ahead of where we were last offseason going into this season, going into camp. Everyone’s fired up. We expect a lot out of each other and can’t wait to get started, that’s for sure.”

Daniels is also competing with three local celebrities in the “4G for Charity” contest sponsored by Verizon Wireless. Learn more here and vote to help him win $4,000 for his Owen Daniels Catch a Dream Foundation, which supports children’s hospitals in the Greater Houston area.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Ravens, Texans, Chargers and Eagles rookies all report today to training camp. Welcome.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/227067373444820993" data-datetime="2012-07-22T15:47:35+00:00">July 22, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.