1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans avoiding free agents who protested during national anthem: report

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I wonder if this means they won’t resign any players that kneeled either?

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Are there reports out about other teams doing the same? I really hope it's not just Houston. That would be terrible.

3. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Me?

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Astros fans gave Yuli a standing ovation after what he did. Houston has it's share of undesirables.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Yeah i never believed this narrative, i do however think that mcnairs comments might affect who is interested in us.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

8. ballgame

ballgame Member

Is it better to sign a lesser known player in Bademosi, who no one knows, than a well known player in Kapernick who's voice can be heard louder? Either way, I'm glad the Texans are willing to sign players on either side of the isle.

red5rocket likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

(David Canter is an agent)

#69 J.R., Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We have 2 of the best organizations in sports in this town, I guess having this guy in charge of the other one is the price we pay.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I get why an agent would say that, but it's not really true. The stated purpose of the protest was specifically to not show pride in the flag or the country because the protester blamed the country for what he considered oppression of black people. It's not a stretch to say that drawing attention to your lack of pride in something is the same as expressing disrespect for that same thing.

Personally I believe it's good to have owners step up and let them know it's unacceptable to do so during games. It's not the time or the place for that sort of thing and honestly it hurts the brand.....which is part of the reason for their ratings plummeting.

csj and raining threes like this.
  12. raining threes

This is sig worthy.

red5rocket likes this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Nah. All this means is winning cures everything. No one was looked at the Astros as a model franchise 3 years ago. The same Les that brought us Chris Paul, James Harden, D'antoni, and Daryl Morey was often criticized as a horrible owner on this board.

14. raining threes

I said for a long time the Stros would win a championship long before the Texans.

The Rockets have been a pleasant surprise.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Only people that didn't know what they were talking about said that.

The groundwork for the Astros championship has been clearly being laid by a top shelf organization. The NBA requires a lot more luck given the star system, but Morey has navigated it brilliantly.

Rule number one, hire a good GM and let them do their job. Not a guy you like.

Nook likes this.
  16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Good thing they did. They lost a lot of fans (and money) through the ugly years. They were losing and they weren't spending money on players. No one was showing up to the games.

17. showa13

showa13 Member

The issue that keeps getting harped on is a perceived disrespect of the military, which it's been stated over and over that there was no disrespect to the military, and a good majority of military vets felt no disrespect(that is unless you watch the ****show that is Fox News). And honestly the entire issue was waining and dying off before Donny boy went on a tangent to appease the crowd he was in front of and reignited it.

Honestly I see two ways to fix this; 1. Stop playing the national anthem before games 2. Have players stay in locker room during anthem if anthem must be played. Either solution fixes issue.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

And dedicate weeks to dedicate to social justice like they do breast cancer. Taking away the avenue of protest is not a solution.

macho GRANDE and red5rocket like this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He hasn't learned to just STFU already.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it was intended as a public show of a lack of pride for the flag and the country it represents, it's not a stretch to point to how public displays of a lack of pride is the same as disrespecting something. When people disrespect the flag and the country it represents, it's ALWAYS going to piss off vets.

The easy way to fix the problem is to ban players from acting out before or during games and suspend them if they can't handle themselves like professionals. Their behavior is bad for the brand. If you do so, there's instantly no problem. Players that truly feel strongly about SJW nonsense have an entire off-season for them to do whatever they feel like doing when it comes to those issues.

raining threes likes this.