1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets 2012 Salary Outlook: Key word is "Flexibility"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Mar 1, 2011.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

At the end of 2012 season, the Rockets salary situation would look like the following.

Guaranteed Salaries

Kevin Martin: 1 year - $13 mil
    Luis Scola: 2 years - starting at $9.5 mil(2nd year can be bought out)
    Kyle Lowry: 2 years - starting at $5.75 mil(2nd year can be bought out)
    Brad Miller - Can and will be bought out for $1 mil(assuming he's not traded before then)
    2 1st round picks(Our own and Phoenix/Orlando pick): ~$3-4 mil

Thoughts: ~$33 mil if no one was traded. But notice that all contracts are effectively one year only, which means that they can be easily shipped out for nothing if needed to create capspace.

Team Options

Thabeet $6.4 mil
    Hill $3.6 mil
    TWill $3.1 mil
    PP $2 mil
    CBud $1 mil

Thoughts: IMO, $3-7 mil. Basically next year's the tryout for our role players. I think PP and CBud are guaranteed to stay. One of TWill or Hill may stay, and Thabeet has no chance to get his option picked up short of a miracle

Qualifying offer

Courtney Lee $3.2 mil

Thoughts: I may be wrong here, but I believe Lee will count 150% of salary, or ~$5 mil, until he's resigned or signs elsewhere. I think this may be too high a salary, so he may be traded next year if Morey decides his salary is not worth the trouble

Other potential salaries

Hayes and Dragic are potentially on the books. Dragic is likely gone after next year, unless he actually turns into Steve Nash, in which case we don't really need another superstar. But Hayes is a question mark here. Since we don't know what kind of deal he'll get this offseason. Yao IMO is a non-factor. I'm sure Morey has done some sort of deal with him where even if he resigns, it'll be for the minimum for 2012 anyway.

Of course, if we add major salary next year, it will likely be a star player, which would render this exercise pointless in the first place. So this is done at the assumption that the Rockets try for the 2012 FA market.

What the team can potentially look like

As it currently stands, the Rockets if they retain all their useful players, would be looking at a cap number of around $40+ mil, or giving them $15+ mil to work with under the cap by current standard. I am assuming that as far as the cap is concerned, the new CBA doesn't make much of a difference.

The key of course is that a lot of the salary can be jettisoned fairly easily. So I see no problem signing a player to the max salary. But is there enough to compete once that player signs?

What the Rockets are left with if just signing Dwight Howard at $19 mil starting salary, where I get rid of Scola to make salaries work

Dwight Howard($19mil)
    Patterson($2mil)
    Budinger($1mil)
    Martin($13mil)
    Lowry($7mil includes Miller buyout)
    ---
    Hill($3.4mil)
    Lee($5mil)
    2011 1st rounder($1-2mil)
    2011 1st rounder($1-2mil)

IMO, basically an upgraded version of current Orlando teams. The key is more upside, with younger players at small salaries. Definitely worth DH skipping Orlando for. But may have competition in terms of other teams beating us in terms of talent.

What the Rockets are left with if just signing Dwight Howard at $19 mil starting salary, and CP3/DWill at $17 mil salary. Get rid of just about everyone but Martin for a 2-superstar + 1 star system. Scola can be traded for nothing. Lowry may also be traded for nothing, or give away a 1st in the process(like Memphis pick from Thabeet trade). Reject all options on young guys but PP and CBud. And perhaps even trade Miller mid-season to save $1mil on his buyout.

Dwight Howard($19mil)
    Patterson($2mil)
    Budinger($1mil)
    Martin($13mil)
    CP3/DWill($17mil)
    ---
    2011 1st rounders, 2012 2nd rounders, and minimum guys rounding out the roster

IMO, the above roster would be better than Miami's. Because we have defense, and we have a pure point. And Morey's brilliant at finding role players on the cheap

Conclusion?

Granted, this isn't exactly a Bimathug-type analysis, but the quick and dirty work seems to be that the Rockets CAN make a run at the 2012 FA, the new CBA permitting. The biggest obstacle is luring the players here. And how these players feel about Houston. But you know what? Dwight Howard is buddies with Courtney Lee. He shares the same agent as Kevin Martin and Courtney Lee. If he has even the slightest, SLIGHTEST inclination to come to Houston, Morey needs to blow some stuff up next year. And guess what? HE CAN BLOW IT ALL UP!

I know it's still a long shot. But what else can we be rooting for these days? :)

1 person likes this.
  2. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

With Morey at the helm, not many think that the Rockets cannot get it done--it's just a matter of if the players want to come here.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Well thought out. But, I don't want to see us put all of our eggs in the "chase after free agent pipe-dreams" basket. We've had our fill of that with Bosh and Melo. We've been very fortunate in the past to land guys like Mcgrady and Drexler, but we need to look at the draft to find a star. I've said it many times, but nobody seems to talk about it.

I think this may be what Morey is leaning toward, too. Loading up on draft picks and liquid assets is a good way to move up in the draft, by packaging them with our own lottery picks. It takes some luck, but I think it's much more likely that we trade up into the top 6 or 7 in the draft and find a franchise guy than finding one via trade or FA.

It doesn't hurt to go after the Melo's, Howard's, and Chris Paul's of the league when they are available, but I think forming your roster around the hopes of getting them is futile.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Im guessing nearly everyone will disagree with me here, but it wouldnt surprise me if we used our option on Thabeet next year.

Reasoning?

So basically we got rid of Battier & Ish for a protected 1st we cant use till 2013?

Ive heard it said again and again that you shouldnt evaluate a big man too quickly. Everyone knows what Thabeets record is to this point. Did Morey really think 2 more months was going to tell us much more about the guy? Doesnt it seem more likely he would give him another full year to learn and grow?

If we are really shooting for a coup in 2012, doesnt it matter too much what our cap situation is in 2011?

5. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

What about next year?

I was looking over Free agent targets...i guess it is possible we can get a decent player.

Centers

Nene (as of now)
    Oden
    Marc Gasol
    Deadre Jordan

I am not sure how those teams pay roll flexibility is but I do know that grizzlies cant afford to over pay another player.

I am not sure how clippers salary cap looks but id imagine theyd match anything we offered

Then there are two restricted wing free agents
    Wilson Chandler
    Jeff Green

They would be back up plus to the centers above...

Dalembert is there as a last option and also fesenko...

anyone know how high those teams can afford to go and if we can get under the cap enough to make a run at any of them? (sucks perkins is off the market)

6. DieHard Rocket

I think they won't exercise it and will re-sign him on a much cheaper, short-term deal.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Point taken, but just because we decide not to extend him at $6 mil doesn't mean we couldn't sign him as a free agent if he showed promise. At least we'd get a look at him next year without being committed to him. Seems to me that's the best way to go given the uncertainty around his NBA viability. Nothing is preventing us from signing him in 2012 if he proves worth having on the roster.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I suppose that could work. Even at 2m for 1 year, who else would take a chance on him?

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think Morey is looking to draft the guy in the draft also...but I'll say this.

If you can get CP3 or Dwight...the other one will follow. If Morey can convince one of these guys to come it's going to be easier to get the other.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good Thread and well thought out points.

-If Morey learned one thing from this trading deadline its that Teams will not deal their star players to other teams in their conference if they can help it. That is reason #1 why Houston was never seriously discussed in the Melo/DWilliams trade discussions.

-Out of the 2012 free agent class, The main target here has to be Dwight Howard although most indications say he will look at the Lakers as the #1 option. Not sure what the Lakers outlook looks like for 2012 but I know that if their trade package is centered around Bynum alone then Houston has the edge in early dealings with Orlando.

I wouldn't even be surprised (if Orlando has a dissapointing postseason this year) for Orlando to learn from what the Jazz did last month and take the upperhand and trade Howard this summer if they are confident he will not sign an extension so they can take advantage of the best deal and not be put in a corner to sign with one team and one team only like Melo did to the Nuggets.

If the Magic go deep in the playoffs then Im almost positive that they ride Howard to the end and try and to get another productive championship run out of him.

-CP3 will most likely be go East because AGAIN, New Orleans will not want to deal him to a conference rival. Dont be surprised if Orlando pops up as a potential suitor for CP3 as early as this summer to team up with Howard. Orlando knows this might be the only way to get Howard to stay.

-Deron Williams is in a wierd situation in New Jersey but I have a hard time believing the Nets wont put talent around Williams this summer and convince him to stay. Seeing as the Nets just traded the farm for him, I sincerely doubt they will trade him next season unless its a sign and trade. Really difficult to see that happening.

-As far as the Rockets are concerned they need do everything they can to stay as flexible as possible and develop guys like Budinger, Williams, Hill, and Thabeet as hope that 2 or more of the young guys can develop into All-Star caliber players. Doing that while drafting smart with some players with major upside.

*The important thing to remember is that the more superstars their are in the East, the better chance the Rockets have at aquiring them in a deal. Alot of the superstars are already in the East now, but aren't getting any younger. Those players like Wade, Bosh, Amare wont be targets for the Rockets in the future most likely. Howard might be the only All-Star in the East with longevity for the future. Even Lebron might decline severly in 3 seasons.

Most of the future All-Stars (Durant, Griffin, Love) are in the West, which is scary for the Rockets if they want to aquire one in a trade. Their most likely option for the Rockets would be to start developing your own and being optomistic about Howard in 2012. I just wouldnt put all their eggs in one basket.

11. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Bima did it better and quicker. Too many assumptions here and many seem more unrealistic than normal projections.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^How about you take a crack at contributing in your own thread, buddy?

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

There are a lot of assumptions here.

And i still think there's no way DH comes to Houston. He's staying in Orlando or going to LA. Id even say he'd go to the clips for Jordan + others before he comes here.

14. Sanity2disChaos

:p:p
    I agree.........nothing more to say!

:p

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think to assume that there are no significant trades between now and then requires some suspension of disbelief.

When was the last time DM went six months without shaking things up? Even if it is just minor deals they can have a major effect on cap position. Prognosticating that far down the road is probably a mistake.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think there's a very high likelihood that Scola is moved, either this offseason, next season, or in the 2012 offseason. He's 31 years old right now, and while his offensive game is very well rounded, his overall game is not; specifically he's a liability on defense. Given his reasonable contract and value to other teams, and given our new direction as a team and strong need for a defensive presense in the paint, I don't see Scola staying a Rocket. Likewise, the emergence of Patterson makes committing to Scola less appropriate, and if we lock Chuck up for another 4 years (which i sincerely hope we do), we have to assume that it will be with the intent that he'd get some minutes at his natural position (as opposed to the desperation play he's been used to at center).

I also do not think there's any way Hill is on this team by the time the 2012 offseason rolls around. Having doubled down on Thabeet, i do not see how we can continue to commit $3.5 mil to this guy; who might i add, has been nothing but disappointing.

Hill and scola must be moved as part of our new recipe for future success.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Can't help but think Morey will offer Scola and Whomever + picks for Bosh and Whatever. I know the Super Friends - Miami looks good on paper, but keeping those contracts together under the new CBA is probably gonna be difficult, and Miami has no depth to speak of.

I mean, let's face it, Morey is reeeeeeeeeaally ****-up for an All Star. Certainly we have learned that one All Star will lure others.

And Scola wouldn't have too much trouble with such a trade, having a chance for a ring, easier flights home, and, well, Miami itself.

18. DieHard Rocket

Are you some sort of degenerate offspring of Swoly?

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

You do realize that if we're not getting anyone, we can simply pick up everyone's option and go from there, right? Obviously the key is to have enough underground communication with Dwight Howard to make sure this is a legit possibility. Otherwise, nothing changes.

We're capable of signing 1 or 2 max free agents. But we don't have to mortage anything to sign them. THAT'S THE KEY.

IMO, no one this year worth looking at. No one will put us over the top. I'd rather go full fledged rebuilding than giving someone this offseason $10+mil a year.

Did Bima do a 2012 projection? If so, I just wasted like 15 minutes of my life. Where is it? He has a better knowledge of the cap situation than I do. So I'd like to read it.

There's no reason NOT to make a trade. For example, notice that both Dragic and Thabeet "conveniently" expire next year. I don't think that's a coincidence. You make moves and still have flexibility.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

I agree that trades are by far the better choice, given the certainty of it. I'm just saying that the Rockets have the "threat" of signing players outright otherwise. Similar to how Miami/NY were able to acquire their star players. Overall, I do agree that with the whole in-conference stuff, Dwight Howard the EC player looks most likely.

I do believe Kobe 2 years from now will be done. And Gasol will be fairly old, although he will probably age well. So for the long term, I'm not sure that's the best place for Dwight. We'll see.

And again, this is not a put-everything-in-one-basket thread. We can always keep our players and go forward if nothing happens. We just really have to know beforehand, so we know who to keep among the "player options" people.