1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Press] Royce White Battles Anxiety in the Brutal Spotlight of Pro Sports

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Had to suffer through this myself. I feel for the kid.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2012/10/rockets_rookie_white_battles_a.php

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night unable to breathe, feeling like you are suffering a heart attack. Your first instinct is to dial 911, but your hand is paralyzed, unable to move out of fear. You lay there, completely still, struggling with every breath without the power to speak. It's dark. You're alone. You think you are going to die.
    That's what a panic attack feels like. I know. I used to suffer from them on a regular basis, which is why when I read the reports about Rockets rookie Royce White and his battles with generalized anxiety disorder, I could relate and I felt for him.

Yesterday, multiple reports and tweets from those attending training camp in McAllen described a frustrated Rockets staff, which included coach Kevin McHale and general manager Daryl Morey. When pressed for answers on why White didn't attend media day or the first day of camp, the Rockets cited "personal matters." McHale seemed visibly frustrated simply saying, "He needs to be here."

Morey later released a statement, "We are committed to Royce's long term success and we will continue to support him now and going forward."

Fans on message boards and Twitter responded as fans do, with frustration and disappointment. His teammates seemed unaffected for the moment. Starting forward Chandler Parsons even said he texted and called him to offer his support. No one, including the Rockets, would say what these "personal matters" were, but White's very public battle with anxiety and the whispers of support from players would seem to indicate that battle is ongoing.

At Iowa State, White found a way to manage the debilitating fear that, at one point, even kept him from flying with the team. He played all of his last season there without incident and even joked about it with reporters after summer league games in Las Vegas earlier this year.

If White is indeed dealing with anxiety attacks at the moment, it is not only understandable he might be absent, but should be expected. White, who is long on talent but fell to the middle of the first round due to his "issues," has an illness. When Hakeem Olajuwon missed games due to an irregular heartbeat, a condition he had to manage throughout his playing career, no one blamed him. But generalized anxiety is much tougher for the average person to accept because most people can just get over it when they feel nervous.

This is especially true among professional athletes. Huge salaries, a massive spotlight and the belief that these men and women who train their bodies to perfection are nearly infallible makes the idea that something as innocuous-sounding as anxiety could keep them from performing seem ridiculous. It is embarrassing enough for the average person dealing with this illness, but it must be pure torture for a professional athlete.

For now, the Rockets say they will stand by White and offer support. They should. If another player had an illness that required managed treatment and occasionally flared up, they would understand. This is no different.

In my case, I was able to get treatment and overcome my anxiety, but not everyone is so fortunate. Some diseases are more virulent in certain people and the spotlight of professional athletics adds the crushing weight of expectation from more than just your friends and coworkers. Fortunately, White has access to the best medical care in the world. Let's hope the Rockets help him get it and he's able to get on with his life, on the court and off.

5 people like this.
  2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Was going to make another thread but will post here instead...

http://blog.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2012/10/royce-white-needs-and-has-the-rockets-support/

One way for Royce to beat fear of flying...

[​IMG]

Good luck Royce, your fans are rooting for ya!

1 person likes this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Great article, Jeff.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Props Jeff

5. trowa

trowa Member

i hope he overcome it, somehow. guy has so much potential to be a star

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Sorry, clipped the title. Should end with "Pro Sports."

7. IzakDavid13

About 10 years ago I also had to deal with anxiety issues and panic attacks. It lasted for about 5-6 years. The mental torment can be hellish. It was hard to breath, sleep or function. I also became paranoid, lost my trust in people and became very moody.

I thank God that I was able to overcome that dreadful condition.

I wasn't going to say anything, because it can be a little embarrassing as a man to go through these things, but I was able to beat it and overcome, and I hope and pray that Royce to can beat it.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It started for me when I was a kid. I didn't even know what it was. I thought it was normal until I was in my early 30s and I mentioned feeling like that the night before and they said, "Sounds like you had a panic attack."

God some medication and a little therapy. It gradually faded and I have only had one in probably 10 years and that was brought on by a nightmare. As I mentioned in the article, it is a lot worse for some. White clearly falls into that category.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thanks for sharing. I made a similar post in the other Royce thread.

May I ask what helped you return to "normal"?

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think if White were suffering from post traumatic stress instead, more fans would be more sympathetic and less concerned about the basketball aspect. No one would be calling him a "head case" or expecting him to just get over it. White's created a lot of awareness about his anxiety, but some cannot grasp the idea of having a disorder without an external cause like war or childhood trauma. They expect his anxiety to never affect his day to day life.

11. IzakDavid13

I used to get them sporadically as a kid too, then I had a relationship breakdown at 28, lost my house that I owned, cars, business and everything that I had worked for...that's when they came back full force.

There were many times that I couldn't get to sleep because I felt I couldn't breath, and my heart was beating so fast that I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

The medications helped me sleep, but did nothing for the anxiety. I met my wife we had children and they came back again, I couldn't sleep...I had to watch my children while they were asleep, because of the mind games that this condition can play on you. Always thinking the worst, and overplaying every situation in your mind until it was hard to breath and the panic would set in.

It wasn't until I re-dedicated myself to my Christian faith and started going to church that the anxiety started to dissipate.

Now if I feel the onset of the attack, or feel overcome with worry I'm able to deal with it, especially when I see how my little daughter is dealing with her medical issues like a trooper, that has helped me to 'man up'.

That was pretty hard to put out there on this forum for all to see, but if it helps those who are out there that are struggling with this condition to know that it can be beat, then good.

1 person likes this.
  12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That's an interesting perspective. I tend to think people want medical reasons. People like to see that a doctor says it's legit and there are prescribed treatments for it. I think people tend to be dismissive of ailments that don't correlate directly to an inborn medical condition like a deformity, malady or chemical imbalance. But I could be wrong.

I wonder if he were diagnosed with a clinically specific form of the illness -- his brain is just wired differently or he has an acute chemical imbalance -- and the team were open about it if people wouldn't be more supportive. But it's such a private and emotionally complicated issue, that might be a bad idea.

13. IzakDavid13

Learning to trust people again,
    Training my mind not to over think things and worry (especially just before bed),
    The companionship of my wife,
    Quitting drugs and drink,
    Going to church and
    My faith in God.

That is what I believe helped me beat it.

I also learnt to enjoy my own company, and to also take control of my thoughts.

#13 IzakDavid13, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great article Jeff.

Saving our Rockets once again.

15. alethios

alethios Member

I'm married to a wonderful woman, who through no fault of her own, suffers from a severe anxiety disorder, and who is prone to debilitating panic attacks. It makes no sense to those of us who don't experience them, and we try to in vain to talk the person out of it, but in the end, treatment and medication are sometimes the only hope a person with this disorder has.

It's taken a significantly long time, and many times I've had to explain why I'm the only one showing up to our son's school function or to a parent-teacher meeting or even a social gathering, but she's been able to finally make enough progress to where she can go out in public and do the things she used to love doing. But it wasn't easy and I've had to be so patient when so many times I wanted to yell at her for doing this to me, but then I remind myself that she's not and this is not about me.

So, I try very hard to explain to anyone who doesn't understand what this person is going through, because in their eyes, this seems like a controllable or even avoidable situation. Only through patience, learning and love can we hope to provide enough balance and support to help the ones unfortunate enough to be disabled by this disease. Without proper support, people stricken by anxiety and panic disorders would know only despair and isolation, and would live unfulfilled lives.

2 people like this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I gotta spread some rep around. But thanks for your response.

Thanks a lot for your writeup and perspective too, Jeff. Fans need that.

17. IzakDavid13

I just read your post in the other thread, you basically hit the nail on the head mate.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have experienced panic attacks, especially at night. Felt like I couldn't breathe. My daughter also struggles with anxiety. Paxil is like a wonder drug but it does have some irritating side effects. We have both experienced a good deal of progress. My heart goes out to Royce. This is a manageable problem, improvement is common.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope Royce overcomes or controls his anxiety problems.
    He's just a rookie and that's probably enough anxiety that he has to go through.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

My dad used to have them bad, but they faded away in his late 30's and he probably hasn't had one in the past 20 years. My only residual inheritance was getting night terrors until I was 8-10. The good thing about those is that you don't remember them for the most part.

I feel for Royce, but he's gonna deal with this his whole playing career without a doubt. To good fans like us, we treat his psychiatric illness like any other medical illness, which we should. But that also has some strings attached. It would be the same thing as saying Dejuan Blair's draft stock fell because of the fact that he has no ACL's. Teams consider all medical illnesses because they impact the way that particular player will be able to perform for the team. Thus, White's stock fell because of these issues, and his value to the Rockets will also be in flux because of them too. We're all rooting for him though, hopefully he realizes that.