1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Press] Houston's 10 Best Sports Moments*

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Kam, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

*and the five most disappointing.

http://www.houstonpress.com/2010-07-29/news/houston-10-best-sports-moments/

10. The Dynamo Win Back-to-Back Championships
    9. The Astrodome Opens
    8. Billie Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs
    7. UH-UCLA: The First Seeds of March Madness
    6. The 2004 Astros and the A-Hole's Home Run
    5. Astros 2005: The 18-Inning Thriller*
    4. UH-Louisville: Phi Slama Jama in All Its Glory
    3. Luv Ya Blue and Earl Campbell's Iconic Run
    2. Mike Scott's Pennant-Clinching No-Hitter
    1. Clutch City

*They made in error in the story, go beat up the editors.

and of course, this is Houston, Texas, so how about the lowlights.

5. The Buzzkill of Albert Pujols and the World Series
    4. Mike Renfro Was in, Dammit
    3. UH-NC State: Worst Denouement Ever
    2. The 16-Inning Gutpunch
    1. The Terrible, Terrible Comeback

I saw it today in the Houston Press.

Sounds about right?

number 1 sounds right. It's our only pro championship. I know, I know Dynamo fan. (which i am one)

I think Kent's home run should be on there. Brandon Backe was dealing. Shut out going both ways. Beltran was money. Kent felt disrespected because they walked Berkman intentionally. Too bad we lost that series.

oh and if this was posted, my bad, i searched. ok, i didn't but still, ya know?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Comets 4- peat should be number one.

3. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Psst Kam, check out number 6.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Still learning how to read.

5. Steve_Francis_rules

If no one cares, is it really the city's best sports moment?

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Biggio's 3,000 hit should be on there IMO.

The Rockets title runs could make up this list by itself.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I would go with Bagwell's 94 season over that

8. Southern Select

I have to disagree with #2 on the most disappointing list.

Of course losing sucked but that was a great game. It wasn't a tragedy like UH-NC State game or the Oilers game. It was a fight with fantastic plays. You could still hold your head high.

http://www.astrosdaily.com/history/1986NLCS/

The Houston Astros weren't expected to make much noise in 1986. Coming off of an 83-win season in 1985 and dealing with the off-season loss of veteran knuckleballer Joe Niekro, some pundits predicted the Astros would lose 100 games. If the fans in Houston could not look forward to a competitive season, they would at least get to watch the Astrodome host the All-Star Game for the first time since 1968. When the Mid-Summer Classic arrived, the team was barely over .500 despite an incredible start by ace pitcher Mike Scott. But soon afterwards, the team caught fire and barreled into the playoffs with a club-record 96 wins. Driving the offense was slugging first baseman Glenn Davis with 31 homers and 101 RBI. Davis had become only the second Astro in history to hit 30 homers in a season. Right fielder Kevin Bass enjoyed a career year, batting .311 with 20 homers and 22 steals. Bill Doran and Billy Hatcher ran wild on the bases, with 42 and 38 steals, respectively.

But the real story of the 1986 Astros was their pitching. Led by eventual Cy Young winner Mike Scott, the rotation was deep from top to bottom. Scott piled up 18 wins, but led the league with a 2.22 ERA and 306 strikeouts. Lefty Bob Knepper had 17 wins to go with his nice 3.14 ERA, and veteran fireballer Nolan Ryan rounded out the playoff rotation with 12 wins and 194 strikeouts in 178 innings. Pitching would be the dominating force of the 1986 playoffs, and the Houston staff would meet the challenge.

The New York Mets were a juggernaut in the NL East all season, winning 108 games and looking like clear favorites to return to the World Series for the first time since 1973. Catcher Gary Carter (24 homers, 105 RBI) and outfielder Darryl Strawberry (27 homers, 93 RBI) spearheaded the Mets' offensive attack, while centerfielder Lenny Dykstra (.295 avg) and second baseman Wally Backman (.320 avg) made sure they had runners to drive home. But, like the Astros, the Mets' strength was in their pitching. Dwight Gooden followed up his 1985 Cy Young season with 17 wins and a 2.84 ERA. But Bob Ojeda (18 wins, 2.57 ERA) had a better year, while Sid Fernandez (16 wins, 3.52 ERA) and Ron Darling (15 wins, 2.81 ERA) were not far behind. It didn't take a rocket scientist to guess that the playoff series between these two teams would be a low-scoring affair.

The seven-game series opened in Houston with Game 1 going Houston's way. Mike Scott outdueled Dwight Gooden and prevailed 1-0 on a solo homer by Glenn Davis. The Mets evened the series in Game 2 when they touched up Nolan Ryan for five runs while the Astros were held by Ron Darling to a single run, losing 5-1.

Despite a venue change to New York, the Astros looked as if they would take Game 3, but Lenny Dykstra shocked Houston with a game-winning two-run homer in the bottom of the ninth against closer Dave Smith for a dramatic 6-5 New York victory. Game 4 started out as a matchup between Sid Fernandez and rookie Jim Deshaies, but was instead postponed due to rain. Taking advantage of the extra day, the Astros switched gears and sent Mike Scott to the mound instead. Scott was brilliant again, beating Fernandez and dominating the Mets with a three-hitter in a 3-1 victory. The baffled New York hitters collected a bag of balls allegedly "scuffed" by Scott, but their claims were rebuffed by league officials.

The series was now even at two games apiece and the stage was set for a real controversy. Nolan Ryan faced off against Dwight Gooden in an incredible pitching duel, but the Mets prevailed, 2-1, in 12 innings. The most controversial play came in the 2nd inning when shortstop Craig Reynolds was called out at first base by umpire Fred Brocklander on an inning-ending double play. The 'out' call prevented a runner from scoring from third base, and was heatedly contested by the Astros. Instant replays clearly showed that Reynolds was indeed safe, and the Astros would go on to lose the game in extra innings.

With their backs to the wall, the Astros returned to Houston needing to win the final two games to avoid elimination. The Mets, however, were desperate to win Game 6 in order to avoid facing Mike Scott again in Game 7. Unfortunately for them, Bob Knepper was brilliant, taking a two-hitter and a 3-0 lead to the ninth inning. Amazingly, the Mets rallied for three runs to force extra innings. And, once again, they were given additional life by umpire Fred Brocklander, now stationed by home plate. With one out and the tying run on third, Ray Knight looked at a third strike thrown by Dave Smith right down the heart of the plate. Brocklander called it a ball. Knight then sent the next pitch to the outfield for a game-tying sacrifice fly. Neither team then scored until the 14th, when the Mets took a one-run lead. With two outs and their backs against the wall, Billy Hatcher hit perhaps the most memorable home run in franchise history, a shot high and deep off the left-field foul pole. The game was tied again as both teams simply refused to die. The game was broken open in the 16th when the Mets scored three runs to take a 7-4 lead. Given the low scoring of the series, the lead seemed insurmountable. While despondent fans were pouring out of the Astrodome, the Astros nevertheless rallied for two runs and finally went down with the tying run on second base, losing by a final score of 7-6.

Game Six was an amazing and exhausting game, and some have called it "The Greatest Game Ever Played". In fact, the game is the subject of a book with that very title, written by Jerry Izenberg. It is unfortunate that the greatest game in history came at the expense of the Astros. Many fans still look back at the 1986 team as the best in franchise history.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ugh...i agree with you that you could hold your head high. that they played an amazing game.

but watching my boyhood hero, Bill Doran, crying in the dugout after the game was just too much for me as an 11 year old kid. that was my first memory of real pain as a sports fan. and it was awful.

10. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

WORST list:
    1. NCState
    2. Renfro "catch"

Not sure how/why anyone could argue against them if they were around during these tragic events.

11. Southern Select

At 16, I already had the '80, '81 Stros and Luv Ya Blue days to toughen me up. I just don't there is any way it beats the UH and Luv Ya Blue losses. As much I loved the Astros (I was at the Scott no-hitter) the Luv You Blue / Bum era is legend.

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Ralph Sampson's miracle shot to beat the Lakers has got to be better than the Billie Jean King match.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

With the exception of the Rockets 1st title, this is my strongest memory and one of my top 3 favs. Nice to see it recognized.

14. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

For me, the Jeff Kent Home Run in 2004 and the 2005 run would be #3 and #2 ...the memory of Kent tossing his helmet and jumping onto home plate will forever be burned in my memory...it was like the first time I could actually start believing that they were capable of something more...and then in 2005 they proved that by reaching the series.

15. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Love Scotty but clinching the NL Pennant should be #2, DAMMIT I CRIED!!! :eek:

17. University Blue

ditto

That was an amazing run and team: Cooper, Tammy Jackson, Perrot, Swoopes, the Coach; and they won when the league was trying to promote LA and NY. Suck it, Stern and Ackerman.

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Surprised the Oilers moving is not in the low lights.

19. University Blue

Forgot Thompson, Arcain, and Wanda Guyton (?). Of course, the name was Van Chancellor.