1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Press] 93-94 Rockets vs. 11-12 Rockets, a Player Comparison (by Jeff Balke)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. ThaShark316_28

Someone was bored. Seriously.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

At the time ONLY. If the board had existed in 1993, I'm pretty sure everyone would have been calling for Horry to be traded and he almost was the next year if not for Sean Elliot's bad kidney.

At that point in time versus at this moment in time for Budinger, it's not a reach. Now, fast forward one year and it's not really even close any more.

Thanks for the pimpage. :)

4. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Interesting read. Obviously the Rockets this season do not compare to our championship caliber team. Bud vs Horry though? Horry everytime, twice on Sundays

1 person likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Jeff underestimates just how great Olajuwon was. I'd take Horry over Budinger...easily, but I'd give Lowry, Hill, Parsons the edge.

6. Know Your Role

Put the 08-09 Rockets (not counting injuries) vs the 93 team and that would be a matchup. Brooks, Tmac, Artest, Scola, Yao vs smith, maxwell, horry, thorpe, dream. I'm a strong believer that the 09 team was equal to or stronger than the 93-94 championship team. Rockets had talent and depth at every position until we lost tmac, yao, and mutumbo.

Current squad would get dispatched by CLUTCH CITY

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why is he comparing Scott Brooks to Jordan Hill?

I'd redo it like this:

Starters:

Lowry > Smith (come on, that's an easy call)
    Martin = Maxwell (totally different players, but I think it evens out to a push)
    Parsons < Horry (maybe too early to judge this one, though)
    Scola < Thorpe (Scola has better post moves and a better mid-range J, but can be a liability on defense. Thorpe wins because he's a 2-way player, though this close)
    Dalembert <<< Hakeem

Bench:

Lee < Elie
    Dragic < Cassell
    Patterson > Herrera
    Budinger > Bullard
    Hill > Petruska
    Flynn < Brooks
    Thabeet < Cureton
    Williams > Jent/Robinson

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Is this the one with NBA Purgurtory cover?

Was gonna pick it up, but now I won't have to if it is.

9. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Jeff, your selection of Kenny (the "Jet" :rolleyes: ) over Kyle is a head scratcher. Kenny averaged 11.6 points and 4.2 assists for the year and was not known for his defense or toughness. I remember Derek Harper stealing his lunch money so often it was embarrassing. 3 point shooting is the only area in which Kenny can even compare with Kyle. Other than that, good job. :cool:

10. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Stopped reading after they said our lineup rotation could go to as many as 16 and then put Scotty Brooks and Jordan Hill next to each other in the comparison. WTF?

Who wrote this garbage? The music editor or the food truck blogger?

11. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Swap 93-94 Dream for Dalembert and the 11-12 version would be among the favorites to win a championship this year.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff is a super hero of Clutch fans.
    like robocop in Detroit

13. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Man if that 08-09 Rockets team could have stayed healthy... They would have won most of these match-ups, and deservedly so.

:( Coulda, shoulda, woulda...

14. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Actually on second thought, maybe it would have been close... Either way, it certainly would have been much more interesting. That team was stacked.

15. alethios

alethios Member

I liked Jeff's comparison of Olajuwan to Dalembert:
    lol

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Vernon Maxwell vs. Kevin Martin

It's easy to romanticize Mad Max if you watched him prior to the game in Portland when he ran into the stands to punch a fan. The guy was a defensive beast and a clutch shooter. Michael Jordan has told people that no defender gave him more grief than Maxwell. Martin is a scoring machine and one of the most efficient scorers in the league.

Advantage: Maxwell

Nice! That gave me a warm glow inside, Jeff. I really enjoyed the read, and while I don't agree with parts of it, I certainly agree with this. :)-

17. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

i dont know, im thinking lowry over smith, i agree with the rest..cept bud and horry a push? come on son.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Well, that was depressing; reminded me of the cult movie, "Bambi vs. Godzilla." The reality is that the Leslie Alexander Rockets are on the outside looking in, not even close to being invited to the NBA party. We have to wait for another outsider to come along to have anything to cheer about. A high draft pick is looking better by the day, at least that's something. But it will probably be an undersized forward.

19. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Lowry would own Smith. Own.

And not saying Horry is better than Budinger is a f'ing joke.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff's excerpt was Pulitzer prize worthy!