1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Police Chief Lights Into Cornyn Over Gun Laws

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Dec 9, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

FranchiseBlade and Pistol Pete like this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Props to Acevedo.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If nothing else you can feel how he cares about his officers. When Sandeep Dhaliwal, not an HPD officer was killed i remember Acevedo out in public the most talking about Dhaliwal's respect from the community and his legacy

FranchiseBlade, quikkag and pirc1 like this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Some folx's Support is always just lip service
    Better to say you support and be seen in support events than actually supporting

Rocket River

body slam and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

In response, the Congressman naturally blamed the Democrats for killing any legislation.

We saw local FOX news last night at 9:00. You can see the influence of the national mothership though. They showed Acevedo's impassioned speech---his rant, they called it. Then the Congressman's response. A Ted Cruz remark, too. And some organization blaming Acevedo for politicizing the officer's death blah blah.

Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I lost a lot of respect for him after that botched raid in January.

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i dont always agree with acevedo, but i respect him. he basically got run out of austin for not kowtowing to the police union and city hall.

he demanded accountability of austin PD and it pissed off a lot of people. austin PD sucks btw. houston cops can be tough, but austin cops are totally unprofessional. he tried to clean that up.

it will be interesting to see if he ever runs for public office like mayor or governor.

8. JuanValdez

Not with a mouth like he's got.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I thought he was pretty reasonable in supporting the investigation

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Even banning all guys named soliz from having guns wouldnt have stopped this soliz from possessing this gun. He shouldve already been in prison in my humble opinion.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Eh, a lot of people in Austin weren't happy with Acevedo. He was mostly a politician. He loved being in front of cameras.

body slam likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

HPOU:

Members,

By now you have heard Chief Art Acevedo engage in a 5-minute rant on gun control outside the funeral home where fallen Sgt Chris Brewster was taken. The fact that Chief Acevedo chose that moment to make a political statement on guns, is nothing short of offensive and inappropriate. There is a time and place for every discussion and this was neither the time nor the place.

We are all grieving for Chris and the focus should be on him and his family and not on the Chief's agenda. If the Chief would like to make political statements there are plenty of opportunities to run for office, but in running the 5th largest department in the country, instead of his misplaced activism.

By the way, if the Chief wants to have a discussion on guns and crime, maybe he should share the facts that we have provided him that over 1600 people are on deferred for Agg Assault, 1100 people on deferred for Robbery/Agg Robbery and over 300 people on deferred for Felon in Possession of a Firearm.

It is very clear to anyone watching, the Chief owes the entire Houston Police Department an apology for hijacking this somber moment. Chief Acevedo needs to understand, this is about Sgt Chris Brewster and his family...not him! This letter is only going out to the membership of the HPOU, we are not interested in taking anymore attention away from Sgt Brewster and his family, as the Chief already has. — HPOU Executive Board

Astrodome and Andre0087 like this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

T&Ps

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I expected something like this. Im sure most HPD officers as well as most law enforcement everywhere else are pro gun rights people

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder what he knew and when did he know it?
    Honestly . . .after the GoForth thing . .. . I lost alot of respect for alot of LEOs

Rocket River

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is almost a boiler plate sentence: The fact that Chief Acevedo chose that moment to make a political statement on guns, is nothing short of offensive and inappropriate. There is a time and place for every discussion and this was neither the time nor the place.

Almost like it was pre-written and inserted in to anything the NRA would oppose.

Rocket River

quikkag, joshuaao and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. JuanValdez

Isn't this just another political statement?

What I see from Acevedo is that he's frustrated that the lack of regulation of guns contributes to the murders of his fellow police officers. It isn't "merely political" for him, it's a personal and a professional interest for him and always relevant. Likewise for the police officers' union, our policies on guns is intimately relevant to them because our choices might have life and death consequences for them. No shade on HPOU if they have a perspective from their members that they want to express, but likewise for Acevedo and police chiefs generally. Nobody should be suppressing or minimizing the expression of a police officer's speech on this very important topic because of timing. It is always relevant for them, and most salient when one of their colleagues is murdered.

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

Good a place as any to drop this pos’s instagram after killing a female officer, wife and mother.

#18 mick fry, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Republicans support police not for the police (a relatively tiny portion of society) but because the issue plays well with the people who vote for them. Those same people also want to protect themselves with guns.

Very similar to Trump pardoning war criminals against the express wishes of the military. He doesn't give a **** about the military as anything more than an abstract tool of personal power. I dont think this will have any effect on Cornyn voters, any more than high ranking military upset about Gallagher had an effect on Trump support. The people voting for Cornyn will just think that there is something wrong with Acevedo.

Also, I'm sure HPOU would love to be rid of that pesky 4th amendment, as Acevedo would love to be rid of the 2nd. I understand both views, which is not to say I really care what they have to think on either subject. HPOU still has that offensive as hell "Support the HPD 5" sign up by way of their shell org, which should be embarrassing as hell for them but clearly isn't.

#19 Ottomaton, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't think of a more appropro response