1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Houston police chief Art Acevedo responds to President Trump telling governors to "dominate" protest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah that is true, but usually I hear liberals point to places like Alabama etc.

I have lived and spent a lot of time in many areas of the country.

Texas is one of the best (if not the best) overall places to live because it is possibly the easiest state to "make it".

IMO Parts of California are the best overall, but it is a lot harder to make it. It is also a place to move to when you are either very young and can get into home ownership or when you have a whole lot of money.

I like the Boston area if you have money as well, same for NYC.

Two Sandwiches and RayRay10 like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

RayRay10 and Astrodome like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When I meant people in the Northeast I meant conservative leaning libertarian types in New Hampshire and Maine. Probably should have clarified that.

Nook likes this.
  4. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Dude, I’ve met him in person. He’s no Republican, and it’s not like I’m holding the Republicans in some higher esteem or something. He’s just a slime ball worm capable of pandering to the highest degree. My wife has a lot of Asian friends and Vietnamese in particular. She and I were invited to this dinner when we we’re still living in HTown, the dinner was hosted by some HTown Asian organization to welcome Houston new Chief of Police. I heard him speak that night, nothing but pandering and later on had a brief one on one convo with him, I went away thinking this is the best HTown could do? I did not think much of him after that encounter, but then just like the other posters pointed out, there were lots of controversial shootings under his watch and lots of cases where the police violated the citizens’ constitutional rights. If it makes you guys feel any better about Trump being called out by this hack then go ahead and enjoy it, but consider the source my friends.

Astrodome and Nook like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I don't have an opinion of Acevedo.

You called him a partisan hack.

I pointed out that he is a life long Republican.

Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  6. generalthade_03

From the conversation that I had with him he’s a Dem through and through. He’s just a RINO. A lot of these Cubans are turning left now, it was not always the case, I know because I grew up with them in Miami.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is indeed encouraging that younger Cubans are not identifying with the GOP and the upper 1% because of what many of their well off grandparents went throughin Cuba.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’ve never felt it was appropriate to dig into someone’s politics at a dinner party. Unless it was a political fundraiser.

9. generalthade_03

Yeah that’s right, make that left turn young Cubans and head towards Venezuela.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Having not lived in Houston recently I'm also in the camp of I have no real opinion of him. What's interesting was when I was talking to my Mom who is in Singapore and hasn't lived in Houston in 25 years she brought said that the Houston Police Chief was doing a good job.. I presume she must've seen coverage of him on CNN international or Singapore news picked up a broadcast.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He wasn't "throwing insults." Chief Acevedo was saying what needed to be said, and I applaud him for it. Being the police chief of one of the most important cities in the country gave the message more weight. It was noticed around the country, and outside of this country, where millions are wondering what the hell has happened to our United States. trump happened. He's fueling violence. He's encouraging violent protests. Instead of giving the country the leadership it needs now, he is crawling into his Alt-Right hole and feeding his "base" the red meat they love.

To his supporters, I suggest that you look into yourselves and explore just why you support trump. If you look with honest eyes, in my opinion, what you see won't be a pretty picture. What you see should make you flinch at what you have become. I know several Republicans, and most say that they don't recognize their own party. Some are coming out and saying what prominent Republicans are beginning to say nationally. They hope trump loses.

#31 Deckard, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    joshuaao, RayRay10 and DVauthrin like this.
  12. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Does it look good on the national scale that Houston has a diverse cultural leadership that says the right things for the news cameras? Yeah. Does that change his own departments structure to help service everyone in the community? No. I go back to the Tuttles. I go back to the most egregious dereliction of duty when even after both officers that had two innocent people killed and multiple police officers injured were arrested, he triple down and stated they had probable cause to be there. It's at the 1:00. I do have a correction that I early made which was that I had never heard him publicly apologize. I guess apologizing even after saying that they had probable cause to be there is not really an apology but he did apologize so I stand corrected.

I honestly don't care what he says on CNN. I want to know what he is actually doing in the streets for keeping his officers safe and more importantly community safe. Lip service does nothing without action.

With Trump, he is a non starter. He should not be in office. I think his whole presidency is going out in flames and hopefully we don't jump cut into next week with him using military firing on it's own civilians.

Deckard likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. body slam

body slam Member

Its a good message but I think it might have been for a different reason.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Not sure what you sure it's easier to make it in Houston. A entry level engineer in sf makes close to 200k. Even with it's higher expenses if you are half what decent at budgeting you are better off living there at least financially.

16. generalthade_03

He was the one who was pandering to me and that’s why it’s kind of hilarious looking back. I don’t have a habit of talking politics at parties, dinners or get together, there are so many things to talk about if you are a well read person. I was just talking to him about HTown, a little bragging about the Rockets winning 2 chips, a little ribbing that Austin has nothing over HTown except maybe for some barbecues. He kept telling me his politics and acted like a politician trolling for votes.

17. generalthade_03

If this is an apology then the families can tell Arturo to go and lick a doorknob. Listening to this guy again reminds me how wormy he was.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think this argument of whether Acevedo is good or bad is a bit simplistic. He is a person, so he has virtues and faults. I agree with what he had to say in the interview in the OP. He also has had some issues in his own police department. I don't see any contradiction in saying that what he had to say in the interview was right and at the same time we need transparency and accountability for what is going on in HPD.

19. generalthade_03

More pandering from Houston finest Arturo the cop clown. I hate to be arrested by this guy. Aren’t criminals supposedly bad guys and not just because they are white, black, brown, negroloid, mongoloid or caucasoid? HTown, we deserve better than this clown if you want real police reform. On one hand he’s pandering to the minority crowd, on the other hand, he’s continued violating civil rights, constitutional rights of suspects. Watch this video and tell me if you’re not disgusted about this cop clown?
    The only way for some real change is for the PD across our nation to get rid of clowns like these political hacks.

#39 generalthade_03, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

4 Houston police officers fired in connection with fatal shooting of Nicolas Chavez

Four Houston police officers have been fired in connection with the fatal officer-involved shooting of Nicolas Chavez nearly four months ago.

Chavez was shot and killed April 21. Police said they believed the 27-year-old had a “pointed object” and charged at officers. A cellphone video recorded by a witness appeared to show Chavez on his knees when he was shot by officers.

The Houston Police Officer’s Union held a news conference to discuss the firing, calling the decision made by Houston Police Cheif Art Acevedo “unjust and deplorable."

According to HPOU president Joe Grimaldi, Chavez’s death was tragic but the shooting was justified.

“What happened to Nicolas Chavez was a tragedy,” Grimaldi said. “(He was) a man who was clearly struggling from mental illness or a possible overdose and as a result forced our officers into a suicide-by-cop scenario.”

Grimaldi said the officers who responded to the scene did everything people across the country have been asking police to do, including doing everything they could to deescalate and retreat for 15 minutes before the shooting.

HPOU vice president, Doug Griffith — who was called to the scene following the shooting — echoed this sentiment.

According to Griffith, the officers involved were young officers and had not been on the force long. They were distraught at having to shoot a civilian, and even Acevedo agree they followed protocol and it was “obviously suicide by cop,” Griffith said.

Griffith believed Acevedo’s tune changed due to political presser that “obviously he can’t handle.”

Several committees and civilians on those committees agreed that the officers acted under the law and did not require disciplinary action, but the chief still decided to fire the officers involved, Griffith said.

“We’ve got hard-working officers out there doing their job and this just breaks the morale of this department,” Griffith said.

RayRay10 likes this.