1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Houston Mayor seeks property tax hike for Harvey recovery

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Sep 11, 2017.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Never let a crisis go to waste....

The City of Houston's property tax rates have been limited in recent years by a state law capping them - except in case of an emergency. Now Mayor Sylvester Turner want to increase them, to the levels they would be at now without the caps.

Lots of home and business owners have been devastated by these floods and are not going to be very excited about the prospect of a property tax increase.

In any case, the debate is on and Democrat Mayor Sylvester Turner is proposing a tax hike.

What say you, especially those of you hailing from Houston?

RocketsLegend likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

After one year, the emergency period would end and the city's tax rate again would be dictated by the voter-imposed revenue cap, which limits the annual growth of Houston's property tax revenue to the combined rates of inflation and population growth, or 4.5 percent, whichever is lower.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

So the tab is estimated in the article in the OP at $20 million (10% of $200 million) extra for debris removal plus whatever it costs to replace ruined city vehicles (however many of those there are - I bet not very many) and the costs related to "the municipal courts building, City Hall and its adjacent annex, and two sewage treatment plants knocked offline by flooding," much of which will be covered by insurance. Let's just say another $20 million, just to be generous.

So that is an estimated $40 million in costs to the "City of Houston".

The estimated increase in taxes proposed by Democrat Mayor Sylvester Turner - $113 million for one year, or about 300% of the estimated costs.

This smacks of political expediency by people who are notorious for loving to raise taxes.

RocketsLegend likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Well... if Houston wants to not just slowly deflate, the METRO, will need to come up with a lot of money to not only repair the damages down from Harvey but a lot of money to mitigate future floods. Houston may not ever recover without significant investment in repairs and flood mitigation. What major businesses will want to relocate here if we go cheap? Will we continue to be the Energy Capital or will that slowly go away?

This is more a result of underinvestment in infrastructure and poor land use policies from conservatives and libertarians. I really don't see property owners not having to pay up after decades of "let the free market" decide how we develop.

No Worries likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh man, I wanted to be mad and scream and yell about this!

mtbrays and KingCheetah like this.
  6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Guaranteed spending for extreme widening of existing waterways and watersheds, create strategic area catch basins, more green space in form of water soaking parks, etc... give those spending guarantees and we'll talk.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with it at all. Do people really think that a disaster of this magnitude can be dealt with by wishful thinking? Abbott doesn't want to dip into the state's multi-billion dollar rainy day fund. The Feds have come up with about $15 billion, a drop in the bucket, with some of that no doubt going to Florida. How else is the horrific damage going to be repaired? Wishful thinking? What happened to paying for what you spend? Sure, I live in Austin, but I'm a Houston native with a load of relatives and friends in and around the city. I want Houston to recover and become better than it was before Harvey.

zksb09 and SWTsig like this.
  8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

We need a more exact accounting of these costs.

Of course this isn't just about the storm. It is also about a leftist mayor who sees the opportunity to raise taxes, which is a nearly irresistible temptation to a Democrat politician.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Did you have to type this with only one hand?

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Don't worry homie. It will turn into tax cuts for businesses and more strip malls. I promise no mass transit will be considered.

Need more traffic and oil consumption. Because obviously it's impossible for a hurricane to hit Houston again. Perhaps a MAGA wall will even make it turn around and hit the brown folks in Mexico.

Republicans are right and scientists are all wrong. The billions of humans have no effect on this world.

Keep doin you.

Invisible Fan and KingCheetah like this.
  11. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

My problem is that the hurricane affected everyone - not just property owners. I, as a home owner, have paid in various forms to protect and rebuild my home at my own expense. I don't mind assisting the city, but everyone who benefits from the cleanup efforts (ie everyone) should help.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

All flood insurance is underwritten by the federal government, so the federal government role in this will be the substantial majority. It should be noted that the city of Houston has insurance for all of this, so those amounts covered by insurance will not need to be paid by the city. Home and business owners are on their own, with insurance covering some of the losses and the city of Houston covering none.

The amount of this tax hike appears to be excessive.

We need a more exact accounting of the actual expected costs to the city of Houston related to this storm and those numbers need to be checked and checked again. Sylvester Turner and the City of Houston should not just be blindly trusted about all of this.

ipaman likes this.
  13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

No need for improvements on dams and holding ponds funded by the theft of taxes.
    The free market will take care of it. People can just sue in courts that are run by folks whose campaigns are funded by the developers

zksb09, Deckard and dmoneybangbang like this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Isn't property tax capped at 1mil? How about a lift there? They can certainly afford it more than other folks.

Or maybe a one-time temp income tax?

Not so fond of the idea of raising tax on those that can't afford it and on many of those that just got flooded.

And yes, need to be clear on what the additional tax are for.

zksb09, Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

16. dmoneybangbang

This...

Have folks already forgotten about the massive flooding during the spring of 2017? The Houston metro needs significant flood mitigation investment.

ipaman likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm for it. I don't really like that property taxes are the primary way we fund things in Texas, but I think the tax burden is too low and state spending is too low. I think our underinvestment in infrastructure, education, and services are a threat to the ongoing success of Houston and of Texas. I am not at all concerned about spending a few extra bucks on the assessments on my properties. I am very concerned about the distress costs that result from government underfunding.

zksb09, Deckard, SWTsig and 1 other person like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

I though it was a generally accepted fact that people who rent pay property taxes and insurance, as they are factored into the rent.

pgabriel likes this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is not just a City of Houston problem or a Harris County problem, but a multi-county problem.

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Very little of the problem is a "City of Houston" problem.