1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

the pettiness has begun :)

2. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Put it off no longer. You don't have to take your wife to every game. Go to a couple of easy (convenient time, temperature, opponent) games with her and take a bud to the other games. I don't know you well enough to say this, but my guess is your wife will enjoy a couple of Saturdays to herself!

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

Oklahoma is giving us ammunition for the game by not releasing a depth chart. Big mistake for a big favorite. They are also walking into the unknown by doing it. That makes it ripe for an upset. Great way to start the season.

tinman and Jake Tower like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'd be ecstatic if this season's team went back to herman's peach bowl season where the team played with that huge chip all year long. playing two top 25 teams in the first 3 weeks and one of them being a national title contender

Jake Tower likes this.
  6. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Coogs are a complete unknown. The team has been virtually rebuilt. Don't know what to expect. What we do know is that OU is usually really good and will bring it. Would love an upset, but would be really disappointed if UH gets blown out.

7. Poloshirtbandit

Oh I'll still go, I just buy game tickets individually. I've got a friend in a similar position so we try to go to a couple games together. Any games in October or November my wife usually goes with me.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This Longhorn will be rooting for you this weekend.

tinman and Madmanmetz like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

During an interview on 92.9FM Memphis, American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco said that the conference plans to get rid of its two-division format beginning with the 2020 season.
    The American will have just 11 football-playing members next season, as UConn will be going the Independent route with its other sports "returning" to the Big East. With no plans to add a 12th football-playing member to even out the numbers, the conference will instead petition the NCAA for the right to hold a conference title game with the top two teams facing off. With the Big 12 having received such a waiver, the expectation is that the American's request will be approved.

Jake Tower likes this.
  10. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I am worried these Coogs are real short on depth on the defensive side. I think the offense is going to let it rip. If and this is a big if, Dana can get the run game clicking like he said he was planning, then maybe he can save the thin defense from getting gassed in Norman and keep the score close. Coogs just need a few timely takeaways and they could squeak out the W.

Last season Dana had 49-45 lead heading into the 4th vs the Sooners. You know he'd love to beat OU for once.

Jake Tower likes this.
  11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

And we will be not caring at all

12. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I expect another loss Friday the offense looks really out of wack especially in the passing game and I still don't really trust this secondary against teams that can throw the ball.

14. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agree fully. Couple of plays where PV got behind the defense and then they did not make the pass.

On the good news side, I did see downfield blocking. I have missed that so much over the last few years.
    My other positive take away was the tackling looked much better. Missed a lot of tackles, but when we did tackle we dropped them right there. Last year it seemed like we gave up two yards on the tackle itself.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

love the opening line for UH friday. upset alert!

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I don't feel good about our chances to keep up with Wazzou. Our offense needs to take a significant step forward in this game and our defense will have to create some turnovers. I think 10 point dogs is about right.

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

In my dreams I keep telling myself DH was sandbagging the pirate with how he called the game last week and was holding back for Friday. He better had because we are going to need to score some points to have a prayer of winning this game.

I like what the DC said that we need to keep them out of the end zone and if they get in the red area hold them to 3. I don't see us stopping a Mike Leach offense completely even if we had the 2015 defense out there, but we need to win the turnover battle to have a shot at this one.

18. Buck Turgidson

Hell yeah, Dana would be happy to keep your wife and of-age daughter company!

You pay for the minibar. And the refill.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Cougars will win this game, I guarantee it

solid likes this.