1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Bryson Smith highlights are insane. Excited to see how he developes in this system.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

3. MystikArkitect

Lulz. I'll be honest, I've seen lying coaches before but Herman is just on another level right now. Would make Petrino blush.

J.R. likes this.
  4. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Go Coogs! Crossing my fingers (paws up) for Applewhite to succeed...

5. the shark

the shark Member

Donny, Herman must be taking George Costanza's advice to Jerry that, "it's not a lie if you believe it".

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Looks like a typical UH 3 star class. Ranked in the 60's and 70's. So I reckon we better be athletic like we've been in the past. Herman appears to have missed out on several premium targets so they didn't move their needle much. Applewhite seemed knowledgeable on the podium, but seeing as that was his job last year, I'm not putting much into it.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Most the players that Herman relied on the last two years were 2 and 3 star talents. Also, there was a coaching change and the hope of joining the Big XII was dashed. Honestly, the class was better than I expected. The class Herman had at UT was the worst in decades on paper.

Let's see what happens, but more and more talent in Texas is being sucked out of the state, with the incompetence of the Big XII, the continued dominance of the SEC at recruiting and the relative irrelevance of UH. LSU is even making inroads in Texas.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Apple will be on Rhome in about 10 minutes.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

From yesterday (via JD):
    -Major: WR Rashaad Samples (concussion) will complete education & has option to stay w/ team in student coach role but career over at Houston
    -Major: ‘In order to protect ourselves…' moving forward if recruit is committed to Houston “you're not visiting somewhere else last weekend.’
    -Spring workouts begin March 6. Spring game will be held April 15.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Emperor Fertitta is strong with the force.

11. Nook

Nook Member

This **** isn't going to work...

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  12. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Why? Beca
    Why? Because all of UH's ** and *** are going be called upon by Alabama, UT, and USC in the final weekend and it will become a public/media spectable/debacle?

Why? Because all of the **** and ***** that UH is in the running for will pick THIS one thing to not pick UH? Nevermind 99% of them haven't picked UH for the last 20 years before anything like THIS existed. THIS will suddenly be the negative game-changer? SMH.

My problem is that UH guys on this board were deeper in Herman's testicular man-liquid than was ever justified. He said the same things every other coach says everywhere else and you guys couldn't stop raising his pedestal even after it became obvious mid season that he put himself before the school, the team, and results. And then he kept upping the ante and you kept bowing lower and lower. And then when he did what every other coach does you let him off the hook b/c "everyone does it." Yeah, ok. How'd that work out?

I raised the issue repeatedly at the time. I said UH needs to treat Herm-Clown like the punk that he is. Thankfully Mr. Fertitta, like my friend 'Homey', don't play that. As an also-ran when it comes to recruiting, you won't get ahead of the game unless you are willing to change the landscape. Before criticizing whatever is implemented, why not weigh the downside? Like there aren't 200 ** and *** in Texas to recruit?

Ya'll keep on keepin on. Treating 15 mth tenured coaches like they are 1995 Tom freaking Osborne and you're Nebraska. Unreal. I'm still rooting for you. This city needs you to get and stay big time - rising tide(s) and whatnot. I sincerely hope Mr. Fertitta is allowed to drive the bus for awhile. Most Fortune 500 Companies would pay hand over fist to have someone like him in charge. He's paying YOU lol! For goodness sake, get the F out of the man's way (indifferent to whether this is his call, I just mean in general let him be UH Football's CEO).

Madmanmetz and Sooty like this.
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Maybe, maybe not. But I'm OK with them trying it.

UH isn't the turd sandwich it used to be.

There's enough kids knocking on our door for us to backfill if someone strays.

14. Buck Turgidson

LSU has been a recruiting power in East Texas for decades. Them and the ATM.

15. Buck Turgidson

It's only the first year for a new first-time head coach, dealing with a short recruiting timeframe, don't let them freak out just yet. I'm saying the same to my UT buddies.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Something "dirty" about coaches being fired/leaving the day after signing day.

17. ShutURBiG!

...what? Didn't he just leave USF and join UH early January? What's the explanation behind this?

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. I looked it up and, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is technically his 4th team in a year.

He was named Arkansas St. OL coach in January 2016, but 4 days later changed his mind and went elsewhere : http://www.kait8.com/story/30992093/offensive-line-coach-darren-hiller-no-longer-coming-to-a-state

"Elsewhere" was USF where he stayed for the 2016 season.
    He signed with UH on January 6, 2017 and is now apparently leaving less than a month later for Indiana.
    College coaching is kind of like IT hiring. :D

ShutURBiG! likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. ShutURBiG!

JD says it was a financial move, but we got NFL experience out of it? Strange, but I'll take it.