1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

D'Onfrio is very disliked amongst Miami fans.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Pretty much the exact opposite feeling I had about Orlando.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Sorry I threw up in my mouth.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We'll see of course, but this feels like the Tony Levine situation to me.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not impressed? ;)

D'Onofrio's wiki:
    After Golden was fired in the wake of a 58-0 loss to Clemson, D'Nofrio (or Coach "No D" as he was known to his critics) finished out 2015 season and was then terminated following yet another Bowl game loss. During his tenure UM defenses were ranked near the bottom of the ACC but he and Golden claimed that they were very proficient in hand violence and were better than all statistics indicated. Golden and he spent much time avoiding "The Noise" in a place called "The Bunker."
    Kenith Pope(RBs) & Darrell Wyatt(WRs) are still listed on the site so I guess they're staying?

OC/QB - Brian Johnson
    TE - James Casey
    OL/Run Game Coord. - Darren Hiller
    DL - AJ Blum
    ILB/Co-DC - Mark D'Onfrio
    OLB - Dan Carrel
    DB/Co-DC - Clay Jennings

We'll see!

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Well, the one thing Levine did right was hire a good DC (who had an honestly unimpressive college resume prior to his hiring).

At best we will have a great offense and a mediocre defense.

That won't win you NY6 games or put you in the CFBP, but it might grab a conference or division title a few times.

6. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Below is the UH press release on D'Onofrio, and here is the link to the entire article.
    http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010617aaa.html

Other than recent articles and commentary I don't know anything about Applewhite's, hires but I don't see much wow factor or 'splash' on any of them.

I'm really concerned about our recruiting class. Seven players (out of a group of 20) have de-committed!
    Most of them off the top half of the ranking list. Saw a headline this morning about Baylor approaching one of the remainders - sorry, lost the link. Our best DB is declaring for the NFL draft. I wish him luck, but that's more holes to fill. Hope this staff can replace them with quality guys. It does sound like D'Onofrio can recruit.

Scary time for the Coogs. A lot of momentum was built up about mid year. Everything since then has been weak.

Mark D'Onofrio
    | Defensive Coordinator & Inside Linebackers

• Comes to Houston after five seasons as defensive coordinator at Miami.
    • Has 14 defensive players from his tenure with Miami currently in the NFL, seven of which were drafted under his watch.
    • His 2015 defense ranked third in the ACC with 25 turnovers gained.
    • Linebacker Denzel Perryman was a Dick Butkus Award semifinalist in 2013 and 2014.
    • Perryman was the first Hurricane player since 2007 to earn AP All-America honors.
    • Miami's 2014 defense was fourth in the ACC in total defense, holding nine opponents below 250 yards passing and five teams to less than 100 yards rushing.
    • His 2013 defense was among the nation's best in takeaways, finishing the year with 27.
    • Miami's 2011 defense finished the season ninth in the nation in red zone defense and 21st in scoring defense.
    • Prior to Miami, spent five years at Temple as assistant head coach and defensive coordinator.
    • Transformed a Temple defense ranked last in the NCAA upon his arrival to 17th in 2010.
    • Helped Temple become bowl eligible in back-to-back seasons for the first time in program history.
    • Developed 2011 NFL Draft first round pick and 2015 Pro Bowler Muhammad Wilkerson.
    • Spent two seasons at Virginia (2004-05). Tight ends/special teams coach in 2004 and inside linebackers/special teams coach in 2005.
    • Helped develop NFL first round draft pick and two-time Pro Bowl tight end Heath Miller in 2004.
    • Helped develop NFL Pro Bowl linebacker Ahmad Brooks in 2005.
    • Played linebacker at Penn State and was an NFL Draft second-round pick by the Green Bay Packers in 1992.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

What's the word on Jeramiah Dickey? UH deputy AD joins Baylor for the same title. Hoping that it's a good hire

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

He's a Rhoades era guy, so it's not a surprise. I've got nothing but good things to say about him.

sammy likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

He is well thought of at UH. I believe he had limited input in decision making but he helped keep the program clean, which is impressive consIdering there was little control over the athletes at UH 15 years ago.

sammy likes this.
  10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Thanks! Didn't realize he was a Rhoades guy so it makes sense.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

For those who didn't know, looks like Kyle Allen has some autographed cards on ebay already from the All American Bowl going for about $80. Assuming legal cause they been making cards since like 2010 from what I can tell. He signs KA or KA10 mostly, but there are few fully signed cards which u may want to get because that I think will be the rarer breed into the future when he becomes the NFL MVP.

[​IMG]

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I imagine the cash is going to the Bowl foundation itself, heck they might have gotten the signature from whatever release form he signed to play.

13. 713

713 Member

is Kyle Allen staying?

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Yep he's staying. If he has a monster 2017 im sure he'll opt for the draft. D'eriq king will take over after that

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. PhiSlammaJamma

That seems quite impressive given our situacion.

17. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Sam Cosmi committed to UH 2 weeks ago, decommitted yesterday and followed Tom Herman to UT

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Lol at Lane Kiffin's pep video. That was bad.

19. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anybody know anything about Joe Anderson. Has he signed yet?

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I can't imagine he is going to transfer again and sit out another year. Major staying probable cemented that. He has a great shot to make this his team and put up some monster stats.