1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. DreamRoxCoogFan

Booked and bought tickets through the school. Willing to pay more to support UH.

2. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

we are the visitors for the game.

[​IMG]

3. MystikArkitect

Did you guys do the Bowl Package through the UH website? Thinking of flying in Wednesday evening and flying out Saturday evening or Sunday morning.

4. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

nope got my own package flying in Wednesday and flying out Saturday morning but i bought tickets through UH to support them

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

So how important is this bowl game for the team? Herman has made it clear that his goal is to win the conference championship. And they have done that. Is this just icing on the cake or a statement game?

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Great win for the Coogs. Big one for UH. Biggest one I can remember. Naturally, I missed the game thanks to my cousin's out-of-town wedding. :rolleyes:

I thought Renu was going cheap when Levine was hired, but when the students voted to fund the stadium construction, maybe the admin realized just how seriously kids were taking athletics. They have made some of the biggest, most important investments in athletics in school history since then, not least of which is their willingness to shell out for Tom Herman, who is clearly the best, most promising young coach in Div 1.

Herman had a vision for Houston before he was even hired. Now, watching it play out, with what's sure to be UH's best recruiting class in decades coming in, he's got to feel like the smartest man alive. He's certainly done nothing to dispel the genius tag yet. Hired just about the best staff in the country, and just a year later, they're all getting paid like it.

The CSC videos are just... come on. Inexcusable. Glad they're fired. Almost a shame, too, because the ticket-takers and ushers were a major improvement over 5 Star, whom I assume we'll bring back. Always go with the thugs you know...

As for the bowl...

I think the team will be loose and hungry for the game. Farrow will probably be back. Wilson will probably be back at corner. I'm not concerned about Herman getting badly outcoached. It's a winnable game against a team that maybe doesn't much want to be there. Herman has said that winning the conference was always the goal, but you win the conference so that you can play in this game. UH has been tested by a number of ranked teams lately. FSU will probably be the best team they've faced all season, but not by much. I'm predicting that the Coogs continue their success with turnovers and win it by a touchdown.

7. le081488

le081488 Member

UH sections in Georgia Dome: 101-105, 136-140, 200-208, 248-251, 301-304, 348-352

Would prefer to buy tickets through the UH site though to support the school.

8. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

gotta love this gem.

"good luck stopping dalvin cook"

I know Cook is a great player and will get his, but their fans are stupid. our run d is top 12 nationally and aside from boston college this will be the best run d they will face all season.

9. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Does anyone else want to stay at Aloft? I accidentally booked this hotel and just found out it's Florida State's official team hotel and i can't cancel lol someone stay there so we have some back up power

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

LOL. That's their official team hotel? Weird. Those places are like renovated studio apartments. Very niche, not family friendly, etc.

You should go and troll the s**t out of them.

11. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Yea, peach bowl website listed the official hotels for both teams, that's just one of several..

on a second thought, i will be spending new years there and it wouldn't be bad to find me a hot florida state chick, i mean i would have to consult one of them girls after they lose to us

12. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Dalvin Cook is a whole different animal. UH hasn't played against a high level running back like him so far this year. He's a top 3-5 rb in the nation and it'll be hard for UH to stop him.

13. AFS

AFS Member

I'm less confident. This is going to be the most talented o-line our d has faced by a very large margin. It's pretty difficult to stop a run game when you don't win any of the matchups at the line.

14. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Aside from UH games, you don't watch much college fb. I can tell

15. AFS

AFS Member

16. MystikArkitect

Just got my tickets through the school. Are these what the actual seats are going to be?

Section 1, Row 6, Seats 28 & 29. Guessing this means Section 101?

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not trying to be negative, but I hope this doesn't end up like the Klingler UH team of the early 90's that was stomping a mudhole in teams, putting up arcade offensive stats, and then came the Miami Hurricanes. That's when they found out they were in another league. Miami dismantled the run & shoot with speed. They destroyed UH on offense and defense in that game.

If UH can win the game, man, what a boost to the program to beat a name like FSU. Even if they play them tough and lose, it'd be a victory of sorts. But I hope they don't get blown out like that Cougar team of the early 90's. That team went on to lose to every top-ranked team they played that year. That was about a 10 year drought after that season.

One thing's for sure... this will be one hell of a barometer for this team and where they rank among the top teams in college football.

18. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

LOL stub hub selling tickets less than 20 bucks

19. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

What's interesting is that the FSU fans are saying the lack of interest is because Houston doesn't have a fan base. If your school is only a few hours from the stadium, its an early start on NYE, and the tickets are only $20, your fanbase should fill that stadium up. It'd be pretty easier for them to go to the game and then head back to Florida before NYE festivities. This is more about how crappy FSU fans are than UH's if the bowl doesn't sell out.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

UH doesn't have a large enough fanbase to drive up ticket prices in term of scarcity, but if FSU's fanbase feels apathetic towards UH it is also going to drive down prices and is entirely their problem.