1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Chronicle: Wheel of Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GRAYsquirrel, Nov 21, 2003.

1. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

I know this isn't exactly Rox game action or roster moves, but it is about the Franchise.

Pretty amusing article from the Chronicle today (in the Rockets summary section):

Wheel of Francis

Steve Francis wasn't about to lie. It wasn't the money, the wheel or the prizes that intrigued him during his appearance on Wheel of Fortune. The highlight was meeting Vanna White.

Francis was invited to be part of NBA week on Wheel of Fortune, and taped the episode in September. The show will air tonight, with Francis playing against Paul Pierce and Walt Frazier.

"It was cool," Francis said. "I just got a chance to meet Vanna White. It was good. Somebody you always idolized growing up. I idolized her touching those squares. You always wanted to meet Vanna White. I don't care who it is. I was happy I was able to meet her."

Francis would not divulge how successful he was while playing, but said he "represented Houston the right way."

But Moochie Norris was skeptical of Francis' success.

"Oh, Lord," Norris said. "I'm just saying whoever his teammate is, 'You're on your own. You're on your own.' It ain't going to happen.

"I grew up watching Vanna White too, but she was turning the squares and looking good. But that's about it. That's maybe why he wanted to go on there, but he ain't going to do that well on the wheel."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The show aired at 6:30pm tonight.

Couple of things that struck me:

1) Francis grew up idolizing Vanna White?!? Seriously......what the hell is that all about? Maybe idolizing wasn't the right word......salivating is perhaps more appropriate? Fantasizing?

2) Moochie totally called him out!!! "I'm just saying whoever his teammate is, 'You're on your own. You're on your own."

I know he was just joking, but I couldn't help but notice the (unintentional???) undertones......SF is not a team player!?!?! I'm not here to bash him, but I had to laugh out loud when I read that.

3) Francis said he "represented Houston the right way."

Well......he lost!!! Knocked out in the first round!! How that represented Houston the right way beats the hell out of me. And...Moochie the prophet?!?

Anyways, just thought that was an interesting anecdote. Not intended to bash SF at all. Just that it was kinda funny and ironic.
    :D

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Are you nuts? I grew up idolizing Vanna White. But my English isn't too good, so maybe "idolizing" isn't the right word.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Who ended up winning? I forgot all about it.:mad:

4. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

I think Walt Frazier and his teammate won. Not sure about that though, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Huh? Dr, is this the one you are talking about?

:confused:

[​IMG]

6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

pierce and his teammate won. :)

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

She looks hot in that picture. Never heard of her before, though.

8. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

This is Vanna White. But I fear DrOD is gonna lock up this thread soon

:cool:

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I spent some of my teen years idolizing vanna white for a few minutes at a time...then would lose interest.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

When Moochie said "you're on your own" it wasn't talking about Francis being a team player, I mean you have to want for those undertones to be there because it was blatently obvious that the joke was saying Steve isn't smart enough to do well on Wheel of Fortune.