1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Chronicle] Rockets give Van Gundy non-coaching option

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, May 17, 2007.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4814931.html

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets offered Jeff Van Gundy a job on Thursday. It was not necessarily to be their coach.

While still holding out the possibility that he might return as coach, the Rockets made it a bit easier for Van Gundy to leave the bench, offering him a different position within the organization.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey would not specify what position he offered after many talks Thursday with Van Gundy. Van Gundy has not accepted or turned down that position.

"I've been actively on the phone with Jeff," Morey said. "Constantly. Things are in a tentative spot. We have no conclusions. Things can go in different ways. We're in discussions. There are no conclusions."

Morey and Rockets owner Leslie Alexander have spoken extensively with former Kings, Warriors and Trail Blazers coach Rick Adelman about the head coaching position but said Van Gundy could be back in that capacity. Morey would not comment about Adelman or whether there are other potential candidates, but a person with knowledge of the Rockets' decision-making said Tuesday that no other interviews were scheduled or planned.

Van Gundy said Wednesday that the decision was solely the Rockets', indicating that despite some ambivalence immediately after the team's first-round playoff loss to the Utah Jazz, he had decided he would like to return. Morey on Tuesday had described the decision as mutual.

If the Rockets were not clear then about Van Gundy's preference, Morey said they are now.

"We have a clear understanding of what we — Jeff and I — want," Morey said. "Some of my active calls have been to clarify things."

Though Morey had indicated conditions under which Van Gundy would want to return and the Rockets would want him back, he said Thursday that "recent discussions have changed the understanding."

Morey would not comment beyond that about the content of the discussions.

After discussing his status with the Rockets as part of Wednesday's announcement that he would work as a playoff analyst for ESPN and ABC, Van Gundy had deferred comment to Morey or Rockets owner Leslie Alexander.

Van Gundy is 430-318 (.575) in 11 seasons as an NBA coach, the best career winning percentage of any of the Rockets' 10 coaches. His 182-146 (.555) record as Rockets coach is second only to the 503-397 (.559) mark of Rudy Tomjanovich.

"Nothing is settled," Morey said. "We're hoping to move this along toward a settlement with all parties. The sooner we come to a resolution, the better for the Rockets, obviously, but we're not going to rush.

"We have a high regard for Jeff, and I think he has a high regard for us. We're both trying to respect the process."

2. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

[Chron] Rockets give Van Gundy non-coaching option

I like how Morey seems to be handling the situation. He clearly wants JVG back coaching, but Alexander and JVG may not want in. Richard Justice and John Lopez thought this would end ugly, but it looks like everyone, including us fans, will get what we want: more offense in a coach like Rick Adelman, a better pg and pf, and JVG still in the organization.

3. dcfma

dcfma Contributing Member

The Rockets and Van Gundy saga becomes stranger and stranger. :confused:

4. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Guess the Rockets want JVG out, but since now JVG says he wants to be back, they don't want to fire him, so this is the solution.

5. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Sales office...

[Edit] 50 season tickets guaranteed.

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Make him the defensive coordinater to help Adelman. that would be sweet. would he's ego allow it?..personally it's a smoke creen to make it both parties are on the same page. there handeling pretty well considering everything.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good.

Van Gundy knows basketball. It never hurts to have a guy who knows that much basketball in the organization, even if it's not as coach.

8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Oh yeah, it seems Adelman is good as hired. no other candidates have been spoken to?.

9. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Will he's ego allow it?. but i agree, having him helping Adelman would be a coupe.

10. WNBA

WNBA Member

it is love.
    it tells you how good and how bad JVG is.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get where people think he has such a huge ego. The guy is one of the most self deprecating people on this planet.

And more likely, Adelman, like any other big name coach would not want another big name coach looking over his shoulder to any serious degree. Especially the guy who was TMac and Yao's head coach.

I would be thrilled if JVG is either a broadcaster (hey, Dierker did it), or is just an internal scout helping prep the team for upcoming games. Morey needs a basketball guy next to him as CD moves into retired life.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

What is the 3rd option? Is it like a Assistant GM with a fancy title like President along with higher pay who would effectively point out what players are needed in free agency,trades,and via the draft to help out Mr.Moneyball ?

#12 saleem, May 17, 2007
    Last edited: May 17, 2007
  13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Looks like Rockets management have been reading my posts!! :p :p

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This joke of a charade becomes even less funny. And now it moves into the Twilight Zone.

Welcome Coach Adelman. I don't know how well you will do here but we are all cheering for you and wish you the best. The pressure next season is going to weigh very heavy.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah. Morey has become quite the spinmaster, and so soon. Just think, we are now in for many years of this. What happened to good ole fashioned firing? No, no, no, we have to enter the blah, blah zone where nothing makes sense and everything is about cents. Yeah, that is what this team needs, a cloud of depression to hover over the management side of the team. Clearly, stupidity already resides there, we don't need to add depression. JVG in the front office!!!???

#15 solid, May 17, 2007
    Last edited: May 17, 2007
  16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I could honestly see him in a position within the club that has a great deal of effect infulence on the day to day operations of the organisation. by all reports all the players and the staff liked and respected he's opinion's.so i could see him being thrust into a role where he's still gotta alot of pull..

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Nike,my feeling of an internal scout to help prep the guys sounds like an assistant coach. I don't think JVG would like a role like that but I admit I could be wrong.
    All these threads about a non-coaching role should be merged into one.

18. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

So Rockets want a menage a trois? :D

I wouldn't mind if JVG was to stick around as some sort of defensive consultant or if he has the pride left to become an assistant coach under Adelman.

Anyways somebody is has to put and end to this pretty so or it will become a distraction and might lead to some bad chemistry within the Rockets organization.

Please JVG learn to take a hint and step down gracefully.

19. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Well, People Should'nt expect success straight away. It's gonna take sometime for Adelman to implement he's own style. not to mention for the players to get used to him to.

20. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

That would be sweet.