1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Chronicle] McGrady's 30 help Rockets blast off

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by r-fan-since-81, Nov 6, 2004.

1. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

McGrady's 30 help Rockets blast off
    Retooled team edges Grizzlies for season's first win
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

RESOURCES

• Rockets fall to Pistons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NBA:
    Memphis 81,
    Houston 89
    FINAL

MULTI-MEDIA
    AUDIO:
    Tracy McGrady:
    • On loss to Pistons
    Jeff Van Gundy:
    • On opening loss
    Maurice Taylor:
    • On season opener
    INTERACTIVE:
    Richard Justice says Rockets will win playoff series.
    Requires the free RealPlayer or Flash.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMING UP
    Saturday:
    vs. Sacramento, 7:30 p.m.
    TV/Radio:
    ESPN / Ch. 51, KILT (610 AM)

ROCKETS BY THE NUMBERS
    • Schedule • Movements
    • Roster • Depth chart
    • Chronicle story archive
    • Live NBA scores at a glance
    • NBA Playoffs 2004

THE PICKS
    • Writers & readers: Predictions for '04-'05

SPORTS POLL
    Which team will win the NBA Championship?

San Antonio:
    23%
    Houston:
    43%
    Lakers:
    3%
    Detroit:
    12%
    Sacramento:
    2%
    Miami:
    3%
    Minnesota:
    8%
    Other:
    4%

Total Votes: 3726

MEMPHIS, TENN. - The game won, Tracy McGrady stood in the middle of the court and held the ball in his right hand, his arm outstretched to keep it from Shane Battier's reach as the last seconds ticked away.

Hours earlier, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy put the game in the same place, in McGrady's hands, and it felt as right and natural as it did in those final seconds.

For the first time since he became the heart of the Rockets' rebuilding project, McGrady was himself. The defense came back to life and the Rockets not only beat the Grizzlies 89-81 for their first win of the season, they seemed to find themselves, or at least the team they had planned to be all along.

As with so much else Friday, and likely in many games to come, the turnaround began with those two elements: defense and McGrady.

"From the first play, he (Van Gundy) said, 'Tracy you handle the ball,' " said McGrady, who had 30 points and nine assists. "I was like, 'Oh, OK.'

"My eyes lit up. I seized the opportunity to go out and make plays for my team. If they are (keying) on me, I'm capable of making the right play for the team. That's what I was doing tonight. When they didn't double-team, I just picked my spots and knocked down shots. I told myself and I told coach I was definitely going to impose my will in this game no matter what it took, and that's what I did. I was in the attack mode."

McGrady keyed the Rockets' best stretch of the season's first three games when they rushed to a 19-5 lead. He drove the offense down the gut of the Grizzlies' defense, collecting five assists and draining a 3-pointer in the first six minutes, when the Rockets made eight of their first nine shots.

"I was just a little hesitant in the first two games," McGrady said. "I go in spurts and keep going. ... I didn't want to go home 0-3 going into our home opener (tonight against the Kings)."

The adjustment created open perimeter shots from start to finish as the Rockets made nine of 17 3-pointers.

"Tracy's passing was great," Van Gundy said. "He handled the ball a lot, playing 42 minutes. I was just trying to make us more efficient, get our best decision-maker the ball a little bit more. We're trying to find our way."

McGrady breathed life into the Rockets' offense, but they for the first time played defense with the urgency and cohesiveness Van Gundy demands. Maurice Taylor and Juwan Howard combined to hold Pau Gasol to seven points through three quarters.

"What set the tone was Mo's defense," Van Gundy said. "I know he fouled out in 20 minutes. But he competed hard against Gasol and did a great job with a minimum of help. The defense set the whole tone."

The Grizzlies made just 35 percent of their shots, with 18 turnovers.

Though playing "hard" defense brought the Rockets the foul trouble that has become epidemic in the NBA, limiting Yao Ming to 22 minutes, Dikembe Mutombo had seven rebounds and six blocked shots in 26 minutes off the bench.

With the Rockets holding a two-point lead just before halftime, he swatted consecutive Stromile Swift shots to send the Grizzlies screaming for a goaltending call and the Rockets to the locker room leading by three after a technical foul.

"We played so much better against a championship team in Detroit, then came out and played terrible defense in Toronto," Mutombo said. "I don't think anyone was happy with that performance."

The Rockets' halftime lead, like their lead to start the game, did not last. But it did not have to. They finally played defense as they must, and McGrady guided them past the rough spots.

"I think we showed we can overcome a lot of obstacles with Tracy," Taylor said. "Some of the calls weren't going our way. We have problems scoring when they made their run. But we could get him the ball and let him go to work. I think that showed what type of team we have, because we have a guy that can get us a bucket whenever we need it."

2. brasss

brasss Member

I guess its Tmacs team now....not yaos.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Careful, this might go to T-MAC's head and JVG's ears.

4. mycatuity

mycatuity Member

nobody on the team (pg\sf\pf) can feed yao at the right place at the right time and coach made the right adjustment in the 3rd game to play t-mac and we won. simple as that.

5. lil-vic

lil-vic Member

i don't get that either, i thought it was just steve and cuttino that couldn't get the ball to yao when he has great position but i guess its the rockets in general. there must have been about 5-6 times yao got good post position but the rockets opted to go else where. why is that?

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yao gets good position, but can't seem to hold it too long. We usually miss this moment and then after it has passed go elsewhere or all too often force it in anyway for the turnover.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yao got the ball in good position a number of times last night. The guy getting it to him was TMac. Watching TMac collapse the defense on penetrations and make no-look passes to the big man was beautiful to watch. The problem is that Yao was blocked on one or two occasions and had the ball stripped at least another one or two times when he had it in the paint area for a turnaround jumper or dunk.

TMac can get the ball to Yao and tried several times last night to do so. A few times Yao got easy buckets because of it, a few other times nothing good came of it.

What glynch says is right to an extent. Yao can get position but has problems holding it. Watch in any game. Once he has his man pinned, he starts to go into spins and moving around to the point he's a moving target that stands still (huh?). Now watch someone like Shaq. When Shaq occupies space, he's there until he wants to move.

Now combine the two points I made above - Yao got his easiest buckets when he didn't have to really establish position and when TMac collapsed or attracted the defense leaving Yao for an easy 2. And TMac is the ultimate threat at this because he can score if you don't collapse on him, he pass if you do collapse on him, and he has the height and athleticism to pass over you.

8. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I guess we should expect more of the same.

For those that said JVG was stubborn and not inclined to change,
    you were wrong.

Did anyone notice how completely different last nights offense was? not once did T-Mac post up. rarely did T-Mac play off the ball. Whereas the previous two games he played off the ball and posted up the majority of the time. That didn't work. So coach tells Mcgrady to initate the offense. Now all systems go and this teams offense is ready to takeoff. I believe it was the poster JayZ who was right on when he said he would like to see JVG stop micromanaging the offense so much and loosen the reigns a bit and simplify things out there for the guys, and in particular Mcgrady. Thats just what he did. So far it looks like its going to be a success because Mcgrady is as verasitle and smart as the creator can make a basketball player and and its seems the guy has just a lil bit of talent.. a wee bit.. a tiny lil bit.. eh?

9. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

as for yao holding his position. i do think he needs to do a better job of sealing off his man. he can't do it forever though. i think JVG addressed in a recent interview that there is about a 1 second window to get the ball into the post. we, the team, need to do a better job of executing those passes.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You must have been watching a different game then us because the Rockets were getting the ball to Yao. Foul trouble and misplays on Yao's behalf hurt them. Heck, Yao was in position for several dunks in the game.

12. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

While Tmac hasn't mastered the entrance pass yet, he is already infinitely better at involving the big man in the pick and roll. Set up Yao like 5 times, and Taylor once, not to mention countless open 3's from penetration.

13. terse

terse Member

I think Yao gets the ball stripped from him because his elbow injury prevents him from holding the ball tightly. The injury might also make it harder for him to jerk the ball upwards, out of a defender's reach.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yao was getting the ball stripped from him towards the end of the season last year, too when smaller guards came around him when he wasn't looking to swipe the ball.

As for the injury making things worse, towards the end of the game when Yao was being handed his elbow brace, he waved it off as if he didn't want to use it. I don't think it's as bad as we make it out to be.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not to mention the first half of the post is nothing having to really do with the article. If you cut and paste, at least take some of the crap out of it.

16. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yao getting stripped is more because he plays small. He brings the ball down to a level that others can come real quick and swipe at the ball. Even when he gets the ball under the basket for a dunk he brings the ball down giving players a chance to knock it down or keep him from dunking it.

He really has to learn how to keep the ball above his waist up high that way no little guard can come by and swipe the ball. That is one of his biggest weaknesses..he tends to just play smaller than he really is.