1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HOUSTON CHEESEBURGERS

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MASEJ83, Oct 13, 2003.

1. MASEJ83

MASEJ83 Member

Houston cheeseburgers are really good!!!

Glen Rice flew back into town Sunday, not nearly the hot commodity he'd been when he was shipped out three years ago.

Then, he was a starter on a championship team. Even if he was coming off two of the worst seasons of his career, he still was considered the NBA's best shooter and he'd just helped the Lakers to the first of three consecutive titles.

He returned Sunday, three even less productive seasons later, the probable sixth man on a team that annually finishes out of the playoffs.

"It's an opportunity," said the three-time All-Star after practicing with his new team at L.A. Southwest College, where he used to train with the Lakers. "A young team, very talented, athletic. I think this team's got a lot of potential."

Traded two weeks ago from the Houston Rockets to the Utah Jazz in a salary dump, Rice, 36, negotiated a contract buyout with the Jazz that made him a free agent. He worked out for the Clippers on Oct. 5, then kept them in suspense until Friday, when he signed a one-year, $1.5-million contract.

Back home in Miami, he'd talked with other teams, among them the New Orleans Hornets. But he said he'd worked out only for the Clippers.

"You've got to go with your gut feeling," he said of his return to Los Angeles, where he probably is remembered as much for his wife's criticism of Laker Coach Phil Jackson during the 2000 NBA Finals as for his feathery shooting touch. "And when I came out here and worked out, I just got a real good feeling."

Conversations with Coach Mike Dunleavy sealed the deal.

"I got a great feeling from him about what he's trying to do here and decided, 'Let's give it a try,' " he said. "I think it's a good fit for me."

Speaking of good fits, Rice said his clothes are hanging a lot looser since he got serious about toning his body over the summer. He said he has lost 27 pounds since last season, thanks to a more sensible diet and a workout regimen coordinated by his personal trainer, Dodd Romero.

In 62 games with the Rockets last season, in which Rice said a weakness for cheeseburgers played a major role in his weight ballooning to more than 250 pounds, the 6-foot-8 swingman averaged nine points, the second consecutive season in which he failed to reach double figures.

"It's been an injury-plagued couple of years for me," Rice said of his struggles with foot, shoulder and knee injuries since the four-team trade that sent him from the Lakers to the New York Knicks in September 2000, the Lakers acquiring Horace Grant, among others.

"I got down a couple times because I wasn't able to work out the way I wanted to. The injuries kept slowing me down. You get lost in the shuffle a little bit."

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Lets hope those Utah CHEESBURGERS contain zero fat and calories!

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think you mean L.A. CHEESBURGERS.

4. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I think y'all both mean CHEESEBURGERS.

5. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

DOH!

:eek:

6. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

Houston doesn't need tasty food, isn't it like the fattest city in the nation? I remember when I went hunting in east Texas they had public service announcements trying to get Houston's weight down so they wouldn't be the fattest city for like the 3rd year in the row or something. :D

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Mmmmmmm, dead cow flesh and cheese......