1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston 2015 Offense - General Critique Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This Loss is not all on Mallet

Our running game SUCKS *SS
    Our Offensive line is not great.

I cannot say the Coaches were on their game either.
    I thought the Offense was patterned after the Patriots
    I guess our receivers just not that good at getting open

Maybe more backs out the back field. . .some screens or something
    We put up points yesterday but I felt we left alot on the field.

Rocket River

2. conquistador#11

it's been atrocious. an F-
    with health, it will be light years better and close to what b.o.b envisions. but will heath arrive? we shall see.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We have little talent.

The lovechild of Belichick and Knute Rockne couldn't coach this offense into the Top 10.

Duane Brown, Brooks, DeAndre and Foster are good.

The rest is pretty much garbage.

4. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

We should've been paying more attention to the offensive line during the draft. Instead we draft defense with almost every ****ing pick. We never replaced Chris Myers, we never replaced Owen Daniels and we can replace Arian Foster. Our first pick better be a offensive player next year.

We can't continue to ignore this side of the ball. We have too many wide receivers and not enough big men in the middle.

5. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Correction: We CANT REPLACE ARIAN FOSTER.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I thought this offense would use quick tempo short throws to set up the run.

Boy was I wrong.

This is where I thought Mallet would excel, but he is holding it too long and putting the ball in the dirt.

Very disappointing.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not much to go off of. Brown has been dinged up or not playing for most of the season now, so when Deandre Hopkins is your best player on that side of the ball.... you're in a world of trouble.

8. oelman44

oelman44 Member

We can at least try to replace Foster, but it will take a lot better than a 6th round pick and two undrafted players.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Buncha Bill Belichick wannabes :rolleyes:

Unprepared/"failure to communicate" the opening drive/play(s) in consecutive weeks? :rolleyes:

Everyone will blame Rick Smith, he does suck, you won't find many(any?) defending him but this is O'Brien's roster. He's building the roster as he wants it.

Who was it who cheaped out on signing Pierre Thomas (or acquiring any other RB for that matter)?

Offensive line was dog****. You had one hole/opening at LT but then decided to re-arrange the entire offensive line? That sure helped! Where is Xavier Su'a-Filo? At least you got Oday Aboushi!

#9 J.R., Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Yes, maybe Belichick will not be able to coach this team to win a SB, but it doesn't mean Bob is doing a fine job here.

The coaching in the last 2 games is just brutal to watch.

KC obviously out coached the Texans by a mile in terms of playing calling and scheme.

But yesterday, against a not so strong Panthers team on offense, with a series of 3 and out by both teams, Bob actually went for it around mid field and choose not to punt the ball.

He went for it at Car 41 yards with 4th and 5 to go. And then Mallett actually completed a pass to Grimes for 23 yards.

I don't question the coaching decisions often but the whole decision and play calling is actually one of the dumbest I have ever seen.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Typo "Mallett actually completed a pass to Grimes for 3 yards".

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

I feel like what I saw yesterday was the opposite of what I was expecting. I got blindsided with suck.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Why is Kendall Lamm playing RT on what would have been the game tying drive?

That can't be Plan A, B or C.

14. Mr. Clutch

Well Brown and XSF were out. We then lost Adams in the game. Newton had to come out for part of the game too

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I've been very underwhelmed by the play-calling last year and again so far this year. I thought BOB was an X's and O's guy, which is what I spent most of the Kubiak era wishing for.

So far, the play-calling has been very unimaginative and predictable. I'm not saying we should run flea-flickers on every play or run trick plays at all. But those Patriot teams are known for finding a weakness in the opposing defense and just milking the hell out of it for 60 minutes.

I haven't seen ANY of that in the BOB era.

All that being said, maybe this is a different offense once Foster comes back. Man, let's hope so...

16. Mr. Clutch

I guess its hard to exploit weaknesses when we are weaker at every spot

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Plan B: Adams at LG
    Plan C: Adams at RT
    Plan D: Lamm at RT

LT: Journeyman swing tackle acquired via trad at the end of TC
    LG: everyday RT because that was the best option
    C: veteran OL but first year at C
    RG: above average to average RG
    RT: training camp T who failed at LG who got hurt and was replaced by an undrafted rookie

I don't think you can blame OBie and Smith for the injuries driving this cluster ufck, but the OL depth is square on both their shoulders.

And the OL only looks good at rush blocking when Foster is in the game. Foster gets by in spite on the OL. One can only imagine how well Foster would do behind a good OL.

#17 No Worries, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

One of the most telling things I heard yesterday was when it was pointed out that the Texans had seven 1st round picks playing for the defense. The offense just doesn't possess that level of talent and it really showed on Sunday. After watching this team since training camp, I have concluded that BoB and George Godsey are treading water right now because their offensive talent - particularly on the line - is subpar (to put it nicely) and that limits just how much they can do. Even when Foster comes back, I do not expect him to look like he did under Kubiak's ZBS because BoB appears to have changed the blocking schemes to better fit his offensive philosophy. Make no mistake: this is shaping up to be a tough transitional year for the Texans.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yesterday's game plan seemed to be pass-heavy from the get-go, which surprised me a lot. BOB must not have a lot of faith in the run game.

I would guess they'll be *better* when Foster is back to normal - but, right now, this looks like a team with zero offensive identity.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, that's brutal.

But maybe you adjust the gameplan to account for that? Like some quick-hitting pass plays or some bubble screens or some draw plays? Sort of like how the Chiefs did to us when they had a street FA trying to block JJ Watt? They adjusted their gameplan to account for it.

I am not a professional NFL game analyst by any means, but it seems like you should draw up some plays that minimize your weaknesses. And counter the other team's strengths.