1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hot diggity! When's the last time a Rocket led the league in scoring?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jevjnd, Dec 15, 2014.

1. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

[​IMG]

It's great to see Harden comfortably leading the league in scoring. I wouldn't mind in the least if he didn't keep it up, but I can't remember the last time a Rocket was leading the league in scoring. Suds up!

1 person likes this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm not sure if it has ever happened. T-Mac didn't do it in Houston. Olajuwon was always in the top 10 but he never won the scoring title. I remember Moses Malone put up ridiculous numbers in his MVP years but I don't recall if he won a scoring title and I don't want to look it up right now. But off the top of my head Moses is the only guy who might have done it?

1 person likes this.
  3. jevjnd

He never did it. I just looked it up and he came closest in his final season with the Rockets where he finished runner up to George Gervin's 32.1 or so points per game. There you go. It's never been done by a Rocket. If it's not this season, that's fine, but it is nice to see.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Hopefully KD is out of contention for scoring title and MVP because he missed too many games. Harden has the potential to win three awards this season:

MVP.
    Scoring Title.
    All-NBA 1st Team.

And this is a longshot because of his past reputation, but if he keeps his steals per game total up he might find himself on one of the three All-NBA defensive teams.

1 person likes this.
  5. jevjnd

I'm really hoping that he is, too. That would really be something to see.... If we could make a run to a championship, which doesn't look impossible, this would be a dream season and every member of this team would go down in Rockets Lore. Let's all hope....

6. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Finals MVP TOO!

1 person likes this.
  7. mingthething

mingthething Member

Finals MVP. Pleeeease.

8. alcatrazpsycho

If I had to guess trivia-type scenario, I'd say Elvin Hayes' rookie year w/ '68-'69 San Diego Rockets...

Now I'm gonna look it up:
    Whoo! Not sure if it's the 'last time' a Rocket led, but he certainly did that season.

1 person likes this.
  9. RedRedemption

It would be so much more reassuring if we were able to beat the Clipps and OKC consistently.

They are our only obstacles and I'm afraid what will happen if we face them in the playoffs.
    That being said, we are a better team this year, if healthy.

Bench depth is the best it has EVER been since we got Harden.
    Only WTF in the bench is Tarik Black and Joey Dorsey. :(

#9 RedRedemption, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You are correct.

11. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

who cares about leading the league in scoring? let's lead the league in wins.

12. RedRedemption

[​IMG]

13. jevjnd

I have to agree with this, and add the Warriors to that list. Harden is the best backcourt player by far in that matchup, and has played that way when we've played them, but we still lost both times. Both times we weren't at full strength, but that matchup also worries me. Many of our players are young, which concerns me a bit come playoff time, but I do have to say that I feel that we play a more playoff-oriented style than any of those teams. Our defense has really taken it up a notch or three this season.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I don't think a nod for an All Defensive team would be obsurd al all.

15. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

hot diggity indeed

1 person likes this.
  17. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I think the Thunder are going to keep KD from winning it, they're limiting him to 30MPG for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't be surprised to see Westbrook enter the picture because of that though. He's been killing it (he's a 25.8 right now).

18. Raven

Raven Member

When the Rockets get healthy, Harden's minutes will be reduced, so I don't expect him to hold the lead. In any case, I don't care if he gets the scoring title or not. I just want to see the Rockets make it out of the 2nd round.

19. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

let's make it out of the 1st round first. :eek:

20. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'll take "Finals MVP James Harden" over all the other awards combined.