1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Horry broke his butt against Knicks in '94 (NYPost)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jun 23, 2005.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.nypost.com/sports/48922.htm

HORRY RECALLS PAINFUL ROAD TO '94 CROWN

By MARC BERMAN

June 23, 2005 -- SAN ANTONIO — The Spurs' Robert Horry has the most championships of any active player — five. But the first one was among the sweetest. It came 11 years ago, when the Rockets beat the Knicks in seven violent games.

It was June 22, 1994 — the last time The Finals featured a Game 7 until tonight, when the Pistons and Spurs battle for the championship trophy at SBC Center.

"The only thing was different is you're playing the Knicks," Horry said yesterday. "Everyone in the world knows who the Knicks are, and it was just a grind-it-out thing and you enjoyed it. It was rough and tough. I especially enjoyed when it was over because I had a fractured butt, a sprained wrist, stitches."

A fractured butt? It was an age when the Pat Riley Knicks played as if they meant it.

"I got taken out of the air by [Anthony] Mason," Horry said. "It was just a foul back then. Now it would it would be a flagrant foul 2, and you'd be thrown out of the game. That's when basketball was played hard."

Horry, then in his second season, and Sam Cassell are the only active players still left from that game in which John Starks shot 2-of-18. Horry scored eight points, shot 4-of-8 with five boards in 35 minutes.

"I can't remember anything but the joy it was over because I was beat up in that series," said Horry, the hero of Game 5 Sunday, hitting a last-second overtime 3-pointer, cementing his legend as "Big Shot Bob."

Spur teammate Brent Barry remembers being at Oregon State in 1994.

"I think I was studying for finals or attempting to," Barry said.

Horry savors all five titles — two with Houston, three with the Lakers.

"Some of the most joyous occasions of your life," he said. "I've never been in a situation in the Finals where I lost, and I don't want to experience it."

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This just means that if you take 94 Rockets, they would have swept both of these teams in the Finals now.

What would Ginobli do against Vernon Maxwell? Go play soccer.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let me clarify my statement, if the Rockets had to play both teams in back to back 7 games series, the Rockets would have swept them.
    Otis Thorpe would have shut down both Rasheed and Tim Duncan. Otis had to D-up Charles Barkley and Karl Malone, both Hall of Famers.
    Dream would be way to quick for Detroit or San Antonio.
    Plus Carl Herrera and Bullard off the bench? My God.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Elie would have most probably taken Ginobli. The end result would have been the same. Elie was physical and fiesty as a defender. On the other end, Parker would eat Kenny Smith's lunch. But in the end, neither of these two teams would have been able to stop Hakeem. Hakeem could play Duncan and Wallace on single coverage taking a lot out of their offense. If Duncan is having so much trouble scoring on the Wallaces, I cant see how he would be able to stay alive against a Hakeem/Thorpe frontcourt.

#4 Zboy, Jun 23, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the difference would be Hakeem. there is no one in this series who even approaches being the kind of player that Hakeem was. the post defense for the pistons is good...but it would not have stopped Hakeem. he just had too many ways to beat you.

6. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

And even if he did get passed Mad Max on a drive The Dream would have swatted that little finger roll shot he uses into the cheap seats....lol

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It was a different league with different rules back then. Euros were considered softer and weaker, and American players could shoot midrange jumpers.

8. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Hit the floor hard and not have a fouled call on the defence. None of that pansy flopping c**p back then.