1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Horror Cinema] Jennifer Lawrence & Javier Bardem in Darren Aronofsky's 'Mother!'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

will check out for teh noodz.

good flick to watch with the lady or alone with headphones?

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sounds like the perfect date movie... for ending a relationship.

Jontro likes this.
  3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I think a lot of the backlash is because of people's expectation going in. They don't show you much in the trailers but kind of hint its a horror film, it's not its really just a high end art house film.

Story is a feature length allegory and it's kind of pretentious but impressive at the same time. I enjoyed it for what it is but could see why a lot of a people would be turned off. I heard a lot of people walking out my screening say they hated it.

Personally, I think it's a solid B+. It's not perfect but if your a movie buff, you'll find a lot to love.

Nook and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Good film, very confusing if you don't pick up on the theme early on, but makes sense once you find out the theme. I'd say about 80% into the film they're throwing the theme in your face. Definitely have to be engaged into the film to get it. A few extreme scenes in the film, can get a bit uncomfortable. Definitely not a film for everyone

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

so many people in this thread are turned on by brutal rape... o_O

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Complete breakdown.

7. B-Bob

thx! can skip now. Seems like a very cool idea.

Didn't seem to have a rape, which is fine with me, but everyone seems to be freaking out about that in the movie

8. Nook

Nook Member

Saw it..... DA has some HUGE balls because this movie was never going to be received well by the mainstream public and is purposely uncomfortable to the point that a lot of critics will dislike. Having said that, this was an extremely impressive piece of art and an exceptionally well made complete movie. I expect this movie to age very well.

Overall, for what it is, I give it an "A"..... for someone that thought Inception was cool but a little too edgy, it is an "F-". This isn't the type of movie to take the family to see or to go on a date with unless you know your girlfriend really well. This isn't a popcorn movie.

To those saying Requiem for a Dream is better.... well this move is far deeper and more complicated.

[​IMG]

J Sizzle, RudyTBag and GRENDEL like this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with you 100 Man. This movie shot my brain to the back of my mind. I was cringing and squirming the whole time. It's just a fantastic piece of cinema, but not for everyone.

Nook likes this.
  10. B-Bob

Interesting post, thx. I for one haven't seen the new one so can't compare movies. I did say Requiem for a Dream is, for me, a lot better than some of his recent movies. I kind of swore him off after Trees in Space but then streamed Noah or whatever.

Glad he is finding funding and talented actors to push boundaries and try risky things, in any case.

Nook and RudyTBag like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think you have broken it down well......I am looking forward to watching it.

#51 daywalker02, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Nook likes this.
  12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

In a sense, what I'm hearing is that people who hate it do so because the film achieved it's impact. They hate it for the right reasons. At the same time, the people who liked/loved it do so for those same reasons that the other people hated about it but they see deeper in that the film did what it set out to do in a manner we may not be accustomed to in film. Thus, making it a dark masterpiece in storytelling.

Or, I could be completely wrong and am full of it. I'm just trying to dissect the feedback from people who have seen the film. lol

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I haven't seen it but had read the funny summary on reddit, and so kind of get what "it" is about.

So my question is, whether it is a subtle or not so subtle allegory, should that really impact whether its a good movie or not?
    Meaning, I'm hearing reviews that are positive as a piece of high art film-making once you realize its an allegory.

I'm not opposed to allegory as art... it just seems to me the art should also stand on its own.
    Like if it was fine art painting... if it was a sucky painting just one its own, I wouldn't think it amazing once I realized it was an allegory.

Aside from using the word allegory as many times as possible, does this make sense?

14. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think your question begs another. Does art have to make you feel good in order for it to be "good" art?

15. Buck Turgidson

Ha. That reminds me of Malick's Tree of Life (another director I like). Not sure which film is the more pretentious piece of crap.

16. Nigel Thornberry

I still have no clue what this movie is about..

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tree of Life I did understand nothing except that Life is like a Tree.

Had it something to do with Mother Nature or Earth?

Now I can't say I truly like this, but I am glad I watched it. It was intense and a war like experience.

Can't say I hate it either because I knew that the life of a public figure is a hard one for the home staying trophy wife to share with others. It was just too intense for me.

There was humor. There was laughter.

Now someone explain what that yellow sulphur thing was that she took for medicine.

And how is this a Horror movie? It had some disgusting scenes but nothing was really horror.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/yw3vyy/if-youre-an-introvert-mother-is-your-worst-nightmare

I am an introvert.

#57 daywalker02, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are many similarities to Rosemary's Baby, which is where the horror lies for me. There were also many scenes that gave me the creeps. Basically every single time she went downstairs to wash the clothes. The house in itself was pretty damn creepy. Empty fields with strangers approaching, etc.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. RRFan1994

RRFan1994 Member

1/5 Stars. Almost walked out but realized I had spent 45 dollars on tickets and food lol