1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hornets waive Robinson and Davis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jgreen91, Mar 2, 2005.

1. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS -- The New Orleans Hornets waived center Dale Davis and forward Glenn Robinson on Tuesday, just days after trading for the veteran players.

"Dale and Glenn have been quality players in this league for many years, but we knew when we made these trades that neither of them were a part of our plans for the future," Hornets General Manager Allan Bristow said. "By waiving them now, we can allow them to pursue an opportunity with another team this season."

Davis came to the Hornets along with Speedy Claxton shortly before last week's trading deadline in a deal that sent point guard Baron Davis to Golden State. But the Hornets never expected Dale Davis, whose contract expires after paying him $10.1 million this season, to report to New Orleans.

The Indiana Pacers and Detroit Pistons are among teams that have expressed interest in acquiring the 35-year-old center, who has averaged 8.5 points and 8.2 rebounds during his 15-year career.

"There are some things that have to happen for the deal to be completed," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said before Indiana's game against Seattle on Tuesday night. "I don't have the latest word on it, but we're hopeful that we can get him here."

Davis played his first nine seasons in Indiana from 1991-2000. He was traded in 2000 to the Portland Trail Blazers for All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal.

"If this can get done, having (Davis) back in a Pacer uniform would be exciting for our fans because he was certainly a terrific player over a long period of time," Carlisle said.

Robinson was sent to the Hornets by the Philadelphia 76ers in exchange for Jamal Mashburn and Rodney Rogers on Feb. 24. But the 10-year veteran, who averaged 20.8 points in 679 games, had not appeared in a game for the 76ers this season after being placed on the injured list Nov. 1 with left ankle tendinitis.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The Hornets are gonna have a ton of money but will they entice anyone to play for a moribund franchise? New Orleans may be party central, but any player who wants to improve his game and win will do little of either in The Big Easy.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Both are over their prime.

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Davis is done. Robinson can still score in bunches. Whether that's a good thing or not depends on the makeup of your team. He's got an attitude and contributes nothing else.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

But all they need is a little luck and it could turn around quickly. Take Cleveland and Denver. Well, Clevland was a little more than just a bit lucky with Lebron, but Carmelo's head isn't always screwed on right, but Denver still managed to build a team in one year. A team that still needs work but far from the worst in the league.

New Orleans could sneak into drafting someone like a Bogut, sign a free agent like Stromile (please come to Houston), pick up another free agent guard or swingman (maybe Ray Allen, though I don't see him making that move), plus I think they still have a second first round pick.

Just saying its hit or miss. Some of these GMs do a good job pairing down and then building up quickly. Others sign Derek Fisher and Adonyl Foyle to billion dollar contracts and are stuck in medicority or worse forever.

6. yobod

yobod Member

i remember back in the day glen robinson was voted #1 nice guy and approachable for autographs. while patrick ewing was voted the least nice guy.

i think we could waive barrett (considering we have moochie, ward, sura, and james already), place bowen on the IL and give the big dog a chance. hes been a proven veteran and solid contributer everywhere hes been. the only problem in philly was they never gave him a shot.

it seems as though the board wants sura to start over james. i think robinson and james would pack a nice scoring punch for our secondary unit.

what do you guys think?

7. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Wow, if either would take the minimum, we should sign them up.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Robinson is done due to injuries. Davis I don't know about.

9. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

Robinson plays no D whatsoever and getting over the hill really fast. He doesn't bring anything to the table that we really need. I'd take Davis over Robinson right now...

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Like when Patrick first got here 1.5 years ago and turned down a kid....flat....and rudely....when he and his mom approached him in Galveston for an autograph?

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I was half asleep, but but I think Rich Kamla (I want his job...better yet, I want my own damn show on NBAtv) said Dale Davis is going to the Pacers. no link...it's NBA TV

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Too much youth in those bodies to fit in here.

13. pacertom

pacertom Member

Indianapolis and Detroit newpapers are saying that too, quoting Davis' agent

http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/225890-5236-179.html