1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hornets put Kemba Walker on trade block

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 19, 2018.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

One would have to assume Charlotte would want
    (1) shorter contracts
    (2) potential lotto pick
    (3) young players

Try and get 2 out of 3 of those.

They do NOT want actual assets back to help them win.

This draft is hella deep with top-end talent. Like the top 5 picks could conceivably be #1 guys in many of the last 15 drafts. Right now, Hornets are like in the 8th spot. They probably want even better odds at landing a top 3 pick... which means their team getting worse.

Unfortunately for them, hard to see any of the other potential lotto teams moving their pick. I mean maybe the 76ers, Knicks.

Like would the Sixers do Fultz, Amir Johnson, their 2018 draft pick for Walker, Jeremy Lamb? Its "giving up" on Fultz already, and pushing ahead their window even more, but he's kind of the PG they need. Of course, I'd expect the 76ers to make the playoffs then, so its not that great a pick for Hornets.

No way in hell Hawks move their pick this year. Magic... maybe... because they've sucked for so long and Payton just isn't all that... but it's a projected top 3 pick right now, so hard to see.
    Probably a tough trade market for them.

The Cavs, Nets pick is interesting... except the Cavs don't "really" need what Kemba brings...

oelman44 likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. JayZ750

I agree they might be a tad overrated... especially Bledsoe...

BUT, how do you think things would change if you swapped either player at the beginning of the year for Kyrie? To me, Celtics are still where they are, and the Suns/Bucks/Hornets are still basically where they are.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Pretty much, i'd say Boston wins 3/4 games less with one of them in Kyrie's place...maybe, not that i'm a fan of Irving, in fact i actually don't like him as a player overall, but just with his offense he probably gave them a couple of wins or a bit more. Other than that yeah, Boston is probably the team which wins more with team ball as today, with the Spurs let's say.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is kind of sad news actually. I like Walker, I hope he lands in a good place if he does get traded

Patience likes this.
  6. Juxtaposed Jolt

The Spurs would probably be willing to take Batum or MKG (or even Dwight) off Charlotte's hands, especially if Kawhi remains out.

Walker / Parker
    Green / Mills / Ginobili
    Anderson / (Batum or MKG)
    LMA / Gay
    Gasol / (Dwight)

If anyone can improve the play of Batum / MKG or restore Dwight to where he's not a shell of his former self, it's Pop and the Spurs.

Don't know what the Spurs would have to give up, though. Their draft picks are always at the end of the first round.

7. JayZ750

Here's a list of contracts currently in the NBA.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html

The Hornets are looking to move, somewhat in order:
    1. Batum... $22+ million for 2-3 more years. Probably 3 cause have to assume Batum exercise last year at $27 million (YIKES!)
    2. M. Williams... $14 million next year, player option of $15 million the following
    3. Gilchrest...$13 million, plus $13 million player option
    4. Dwight... $23 million next year, so he becomes an expiring this summer... which might make him have some value...
    5. Zeller... $13- $15 million over the next three years

So its really, ideally for the Hornets,

Walker + Batum = $34.4 million of salary. That's a LOT of salary to make it work.

In an ideal world, if I was a Hornets fan, I would want them to invent some kind of Walker injury, sit him, have the team get crappy, then retry a trade in the offseason.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Something like this for the knicks might work: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8fztpog

(Kemba, MKG for Courtney Lee, Doug McDermott, Hernangomez, Ntilikna)

I've been playing around with trade machine at work and it's just astounding to me how many teams don't have assets and/or cap space. This will probably be either a super dull deadline unless we see one or two major multi team trades or straight garbage swaps (think Gilbert Arenas for Rashard Lewis style) because that seems to be the only way to make these work. Every team has these stupid albatross contracts they want to get rid of (Joakim Noah, MKG, Asik, the entire Orlando Magic roster) that's severely hampering player movement.

9. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I think Denver should be all over this. They need a legit PG to cement a playoff position. They can send over Mudiay, Juancho and salary filler/pick and receive Walker and Batum/MKG

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

This totally makes sense. It wouldn't be enough to actually be competitive in the stacked West, but a combo of Kemba and Jokic would be fun to watch

11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Corey Joseph hasn't played in Indiana for a good 3 years

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Pen15clubber and BigMaloe like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

BigMaloe and justtxyank like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

interesting...Mavs already have DSJr, but he hasn’t been that impressive to me

perhaps they’d trade for Kemba and then hope to entice Boogie during the summer and build around Kemba, Barnes, and Boogie...that squad isn’t doing anything special tho

edit: read it wrong...seems like they’re asking Dallas to be a 3rd team

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

Dallas (along with Brooklyn) is a prime "third team" since they have cap space and expirings, and they want to trade Noel. I wouldn't be surprised if any big trade (Rockets and Anderson, Cavs and Thompson, Clips and DeAndre, this) involves them. They could walk away with a nice haul.

Reeko likes this.
  17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

No idea if they could make it happen, but how good are the Pelicans if they can land a big-three of Kemba-AD-Boogie?

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh...not much imo, they're already some sort of mess as a team, throwing in a ball dominant player like Kemba when they have already Holiday (maxed) and Rondo is probably a risk more than a nice bet.

malakas likes this.
  19. showa13

showa13 Member

If Charlotte is serious about trading Kemba, any playoff team without good guard play should be in on him. He's a bargain for 2 years. If I was Nola, I'd trade anyone not named Anthony Davis or Demarcus Cousins

da_juice and Patience like this.
  20. da_juice

da_juice Member

Not sure they have the assets though. But if they could find a way to get Kemba and one of their wing players (Batum comes to mind) they'd be solid