1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hopefully Springer is back in a couple of weeks, what lineup would be the best???

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cangrejero51, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

1. Springer RF
    2. Tucker DH
    3. Correa SS
    4. Altuve 2b
    5. Lowrie 3b
    6. Rasmus LF
    7. Cargo CF
    8. Valbuena
    9. Castro/Conger C

Yes, i know, a lot of lefties in a row but lets examine.

Springer leading off, as Toronto is doing with Tulo, and winning, you get a guy with great OBP and power combo, giving him many 5 at bats in a game. Tukcer hitting second, as a lefty, give a better opportunity for Springer to steal second (not an open throw from the catcher with lefty) and takes more pitches than Altuve or Cargo will. Correa third, well, best hitter on the club. Altuve, with RISP, a guy that hits .300 is going to drive many runs, and we don't have to worry about him swinging at first pitch anymore. Lowrie, maybe best professional hitter in the club (taking pitches, and having good at bats) and switch hitter, good spot for him. RAsmus is quietly haaving a good year, with an OPS of .774. I last 15 games he is hitting.271 with .357 OBP and .458 slugging. Cargo, as he is not hitting much this year, but still can turn it around, is a position where he will be able to look to drive the ball and rbi's. Also, lefties after him, easier to steal. Valbuena hitting 8th, is a good lineup. In the last 7 games played, Valbuena is hitting .316 with .409 OBP and slugging .526. In that 30 games he has a .240 average and a .345 OBP, slugging has gone down, .345, but in the 8th spot, good numbers. Then Castro, who is there for defense.

Yes, many would say, what about Gattis? Well, Tucker in the last 30 games is hitting .280 with .319 OBP and 523 slugging. Gattis in the same span is hitting .221 with .254 OBP and slugging .407. And numbers in last 15 are even worse, .161/.203 and .339.

ONe player, Springer makes a big difference in a lineup, and i just hope Hinch goes with numbers and not names.

2. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Now, about the rotation and relievers:

Starters:

1. K
    2. Kazmir
    3. Feldman
    4. Fiers
    5. McHugh

First 2 we don't have to talk about them, lets talk about the other 3. Feldman is pitching very good since coming off the injury. Last 7 games pitched, he has a 3.16 ERA and a 1.24 whip, very good numbers for a 3 starter.
    Fiers Last 7 games has a 3.80 ERA with 1.13 whip, and thats with the relieve appearance that he was not prepared to pitch as he was going to start the next game but took one for the team. His numbers are very good. Last 15 his ERA is 3.38 with a whip of 1.27. Very good numbers, especially for a number 4. Now, McHugh, 13 wins (and yes, wins are important as it shows he knows how to win games) in last 7 games he has a 3.53 ERA, but a high whip of 1.43. Last 15 games a 4.29 ERA with a whip of 1.39. Out of the 5, he has the worse numbers, so once McCullers is back, if he goes to the rotation, i think McHugh goes to the bullpen, as Feldman is pitching very good.

Now, relievers:
    This is not going to happen, but, next year i want VV as my closer, he has the stuff. He would be our Osuna (Toronto). Imagine if he was able to do it this year and we have this bullpen:

9 inning VV
    8 inning Gregorson vs tough righties, Perez vs tough lefties
    7 inning Neshek
    6 inning Fields

With Sipps and Harris in any situation for match ups (As Harris is very good vs lefties and Sipps vs righties)
    and McHugh as long reliever

Just one change, VV as closer makes this bullpen as good as the Royals, of course, big IF, can VV do it? I trust he can.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Why does Altuve hitting clean up mean that he wont swing at the first pitch anymore? Position in the lineup wont change that he's a hacker.

I'd go with:

Springer
    Altuve
    Correa
    Lowrie
    CarGo
    Rasmus
    Tucker/Gattis DH
    Valbuena
    Castro/Conger

1 person likes this.
  4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Springer gives us so many options and any lineup will look better with him at the top. I am sure Hinch will mix and match for awhile until he finds a solid recipe. I believe he mentions Alutve hacking because him hacking in the 4th hole isn't as bad as him hacking in the 2 hole as it doesn't give Springer a chance to steal a bag.

I am not sure where you put Altuve or Gomez just yet once Springer returns but I hope both finish the season strong as they will most likely be in any of the 1-4 spots the rest of the way. I think Gomez goes streaking at MMP and we get our mojo back on offense a little. Need some Club Astros at home.

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

What i am saying is we don't have to worry about him swinging at first pitches. Why? Because hitting 4th we want him to drive runs, not take pitches nor walks, just drive guys. Also, good protection against Correa as he is one of the few .300 hitters in our team.

6. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

This lineup never has more than two lefties back to back, this quote makes no sense.

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I know, what happen is I change the lineup, i had RAsmus 7, Valbuena 8 and Castro 9, then move Rasmus 6 and Cargo 7, but we can't edit here.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Meh...

I really dislike "Super K" Carter and "Ole Pop Up" Valbuena.

I would throw a first base glove at Rasmus since Tucker apparently lacks the depth perception and Gattis is made of glass.

Altuve
    Gomez
    Springer
    Correa
    Lowrie
    Tucker
    Gattis
    Rasmus
    Castro/Conger

9. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

What I'd do on the show:

Altuve
    Gomez
    Correa
    Springer
    Rasmus
    Valbuena (dude crushes on on the show)
    Gattis/Tucker
    Lowrie
    Castro/Conger

10. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Altuve at cleanup behind Correa sounds good to me.

11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

There is already a Springer injury thread this goes in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.