1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hopeful like I haven’t been in a long time...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hou$tonScrew$tonTX, Dec 17, 2019.

1. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

Yesterday, I went to YouTube and typed clutch city and watched the roughly 48 minute documentary. Then, I watched the “double clutch” documentary.
    I felt all the happiness and emotion I felt when I was a 7 year old boy watching basketball and playing basketball for the first time.
    Back then, I never criticized my team, got angry at my team or even upset at my team. Sure, I would be an emotional roller coaster, but I always had this endless optimism and joy when we won. I didn’t have cable so I listened to the majority of playoff games on the radio with my dad and brother. Those days were some of the best memories of my childhood.
    Anyway, I decided to watch my first game of the year yesterday. Even though we were down 25 I remained positive and hopeful that we would somehow comeback and win. The amazing thing is we did it! I enjoyed the game so much more bc I was just purely positive. I think that’s what life is all about. Positivity and love and overcoming adversity. And even when it looks bad just do your absolute best, so even if you lose at least you tried.
    What I’m trying to say is the love for the game is back in my heart. I’m optimistic we will make this city clutch again. I’ll hand out “thrice is nice” t-shirts to my fellow clutch fans of course :)

justinh, dawesome, bilaal14 and 32 others like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

even tho I don’t think the team will win a title because they rely on Harden way too much to be historically great and won’t be able to overcome 5 vs 8 against the likes of the Lakers, Clippers, and Bucks while most likely not having HCA against any of them, I still remain hopeful and always enjoy watching the team play regardless

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I feel confident as well
    I know the Refs are coming for us.. . but we will fight

Rocket River

34to11, Patience, fattz and 3 others like this.
  4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Never lose that positive attitude. The payoff will be crazy good.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

There’s nothing wrong with relentless hope. We’ll probably go undefeated for the rest of the season and playoffs if @Batman Jones and I are right.

6. vick

vick Member

One win playing a bad team, means very little. This team would need a 28 year old Akeem to win the title this year. Tilman would not go over lux. tax to win this year. Time will show if Tilman wants to win

Jontro and Sajan like this.
  7. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Win or lose, world against us, with the Rockets all the way.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OP clearly hasn't gotten this month's @BasketMAD newsletter yet

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Amazing what one game can do.

The tone here was a little different after losing to the Pistons..

Sajan and Rocket River like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

There are serious strengths with the Rockets and a few serious weaknesses. Contrary to what some fans say, the effort is good and the chemistry is as well. It is going to come down to what moves the GM is capable of making, the level of support ownership gives to make moves and last, what moves the other top teams make.

11. CallMeTheDream

You can’t be serious...

12. CallMeTheDream

More hopeful than running it back with a healthy Paul after having GS on the ropes???

hakeem94 and Sajan like this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Watching that old stuff makes me like the current team LESS. So good for you.

da_juice, Jontro, kjayp and 3 others like this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The chemistry seems good but the effort is definitely not always good. The Rockets' effort and focus was light years different between first and second half.

kjayp, jboslett, J Sizzle and 2 others like this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We're not near the Lakers/Clippers/Bucks, but we're probably in that 2nd tier if everything clicks. The effort and coaching just isn't good enough, though.

topfive likes this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

I love OP's attitude, but think his optimism would wane a little if he'd watched every game this year like many of us have, instead of just the game with the awesome comeback. Even adding that first Miami game would temper his enthusiasm.

I felt that optimism regarding the 65-win team from a couple of years ago. This year's team seems like it's about two solid players away from being able to go toe-to-toe with the top teams. Maybe EG's return will change that, especially if the bum knee was the reason for his sh!tty play earlier. Still, it's sooooo hard to imagine being able to depend on guys like House, Rivers, Chandler, Clark, Clemons, etc. to bring quality play every game during the playoffs.

TL;DR: My inner 7-year-old is also optimistic, but my adult self can't help but think...

17. Nook

Nook Member

There are teams that are trying harder (the Bucks/Lakers/Mavericks) but I don't think their effort has been any worse than the other teams in the league. They sometimes have let downs defensively, but they also are not terribly talented on that side of the ball and play a style that causes scoring on both sides of court.

As for last night, they gave up too many open 3's, but their larger problem was that the best scorer in the last 30 years was 1-11 with 0 free throws with 2 minutes left in the half and Danuel House was not hitting shots either. Essentially they had to rely on Westbrook who is not efficient in general. Other than Harden and Westbrook the Rockets do not in general have players that can create. You can look at the first half and say the effort wasn't there, but the way I look at it, how hard they played in the second half tells me effort isn't the issue. A team without effort doesn't comeback from a 25 point deficit.

The problem with the Rockets is primarily on the personnel side.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

jesus stop with this victim bullcrap

fattz likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am not Jesus . .. . . .. .
    I mean we do look similar and have some things in common . . . .

Rocket River

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What people don’t remember about the championship years is how truly awful we looked at certain points. Like ghastly choking and low energy throughout the game bad.

Critics on this board would be hounding our championship teams and making all kinds of negative proclamations.

34to11, LFE171, whiskeyred and 5 others like this.