1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hoopshype] Rockets to offer Sergio Llull a $17-19 million contract over three years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Mar 26, 2015.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's a pretty big offer. Are they convinced he's good enough to be their starting PG? You don't give that kind of money to a backup or scrub.

Also, what does that mean for Brewer and Smith? We need those guys back next season.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Brewer is independent of this because of the Bird rights.

But Smith would almost certainly be gone.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Smith is gone but Jones will (hopefully) be back healthy.

4. bongman

bongman Member

I originally thought that if PB is gone for the rest of the season, we can use our Disabled Player exception. But I am afraid we can only offer him half of the disabled player's salary.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This past year it was 5.3 mil per if you are over the cap and under the apron. I assume it will probably stay somewhere close this next year.

My guess here is that the Rockets have the opportunity to have a small amount of cap space they can work with first possibly to resign someone or maybe sign Gentile or resign McDaniels first, and then once they are over the cap they have around that 5 mil number in year one to work with. That is depending on what happens with Beverley. If they let him walk early in free agency that frees up more cap space.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Rockets used the MLE to sign Ariza the first time, and that was a multi-year contract. You look at the MLE with raises yearly, and its definitely possible that the number could end up being in the 17 to 19 million range in 3 years.

6. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Llull isn't going to get a richer deal than what Mirotic received (~$16 mil guaranteed).

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I KNEW IT!!!! GET IT DONE MOREY!!!!

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He might come over but why in the world would the Rockets make an offer right now? Makes no sense. I don't believe it.

9. basketballholic

I'm betting Smith plays for us next year for either the minimum or $2.4 million.

10. hakeemthagreat

Insane money. If he's not gonna be elite then noway in hell we offer him this. This would be Jeremy Lin on steriods bad. No PR spin could ever help Morey recover from this

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

It'll be MLE money.

12. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Smith may be best buds with Dwight, but that's not going to convince him to take a huge paycut. We can give him, what, up to $3million? Unless....ok cap experts, help me out here, is there any situation where Josh Smith could just sign a 1 year contract for next season, and we get more rights over him to sign him over the cap (assuming we make it deep into the playoffs and that he's an integral part of that).

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think that's a big mistake letting Smith walk. He's been a big help for the Rockets this season. Especially with all the injuries to T-Jones and Dwight. It's a huge gamble expecting those two to remain healthy next season.

Unless he's privately told Les and Morey he'd be willing to take a massive paycut to remain with the team. But I can't blame the dude for wanting to maximize his earning potential.

BTW, if this is true about Llull, then I would assume Rockets management has no intention of resigning Bev, correct?

14. dobro1229

Morey explaining the Rockets salary cap situation and what they potentially have to offer is different from actually giving Llull an offer.

However its probably easy to get misconstrued especially with international media folks, and the language barriers. Morey has been over in Europe the past few weeks. No doubt he's greasing the wheels a bit so he has free flowing conversations going into this Summer.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Unless he's you know...good.

It's a lot for an unproven player, it's a bargain if they guy is a great rotation player.

16. dobro1229

You have no idea what you are even getting angry about.

Giving Papanikolaou the same contract sounded crazy at the time, and then you ACTUALLY LEARN ABOUT the contract, and find out its a crazy good trade asset this Summer whether he worked out or not.

If Llull gets this type of offer its more than likely going to have major team friendly trade abilities on the back-end if Llull doesn't pan out.

The Jeremy Lin contract isn't something you are going to see every day for the Rockets. Going into that Summer they actually risked hitting the salary floor so an 8 mil per contract was nothing in the grand scheme, and they actually NEEDED to spend money.

Totally different scenario now, and the Papanikolaou contract should warn people to calm down when you first hear the overall number and actually learn how NBA contracts work.

So calm the F down.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

You have to account for his buyout. It's probaly €4 million. HE has to pay that to Madrid. Out of his pocket.

That's the only reason the price is high along with it being enough to intice him to come. He's the captain of the team. The drop in the Euro helps.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I am betting on this as well. At this point in his career he's more likely looking for a good fit and what team is seriously gonna throw much money at him?

I am desperately hoping Morey can convince Brewer to take a one year deal and reward him when the cap goes up in 2016. Keeping this group and adding Llull would be awesome.

19. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

It came from Spanish sports website. The figure is pretty steep, but it makes sense when you consider the payout to his current contract as mentioned in the following article.

Google translated from here.

And here with some mention of Alessandro Gentile and Marko Todorovic:

20. REEKO_HTOWN

Guys ignore hakeemthegreat, he's a troll.