1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hoopshype] Rockets to offer Sergio Llull a $17-19 million contract over three years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Mar 26, 2015.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

When it seems Morey hasnt gone after the most average point guard that became available:

Damn you idiot GM! What the hell is this guy thinking?!?! We will never win with this knucklehead running the show!

When a source leaks that Morey wants to bring over what some to believe a pretty good PG:

Damn you idiot GM! What the hell is this guy thinking?!?! We will never win with this knucklehead running the show!

Some of you guys are great.

2. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Is this sarcastic, or are you really being moronic?

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You really ought to take it easy. No one's saying Llull is the saviour. But he'd be a good fit here at the 1, given that Harden is our primary playmaker but needs someone to run the show for 14 mpg.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don't think you got what I was saying.

It was just an observation of some people who have hated Morey for neglecting a position, then when it appears he has plans to address that need they then find a way to hate that too.

From what I have heard and seen of Llull I'd love to see him brought over to see what he can do against the big boys.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Some people think explosiveness and strength are the only components of athleticism. Lull doesn't have a lot of either, so people assume he's not athletic. However, he's more like Manu. He's got balance, endurance, coordination, speed, agility, etc. We've all seen Manu dunk on guys or come flying in for the weak side block. That's still athleticism.

6. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

I think some people can't comprehend what you're saying haha.

I understand though and completely agree. The double standard on CF is real.

7. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

I haven't participated in the "Llull hate", but I can just tell you I've been following the Euroleague for longer than he's played basketball and I was never particularly high on him. There's no telling how someone will adjust to the NBA obviously, but look at Spanoulis for example. I know exactly nobody who considers Llull anywhere near as good as him and we all know how that story went.

8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

You don't think V-Span failed because 1) he was extremely unhappy at being relegated to garbage minutes and 2) JVG couldn't draw up an offensive play to save his life? He definitely has found second life in Euroleague. Really hard to know what caused him to implode in Houston because he has real talent.

As for as Llull, his creativity and speed are unquestionable. What I can't seem to get a feel for is his ability to stay in front of the quicker PG's in the NBA, his ability to fight through screen-heavy NBA offenses, his ability to play off the ball with Harden and knock down open shots, his willingness to cede control of the ball to a far superior player in Harden... There are a lot of questions. But the potential is there. Is there a particular reason you aren't high on him?

9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

10. anchel

anchel Member

Think about Papanikaloau defensively; Llull is basically that same profile defensively but at the PG position. Not necessarily an stopper, but a very active and hard nosed defender with good size por position and solid athleticism even thinking in NBA.

Ofensively Llull is a better shooter.

He would be a solid addition for this team. Don't know if would be starter or would come off the bench, but definitely a winning rotation player who would improve his level over time. First NBA months are difficult for any rookie -or even "rookie" like Niko Mirotic-. But I guarantee you he is a legit NBA player.

P.S.: I've seen him play in Spain since he was 19.

1 person likes this.
  11. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

I do think that's why he failed. That was kinda the point, you never know how the transition will go. Don't you think that the exact same thing might happen with Llull? He'll definitely be relegated to a lesser role and he hasn't shown much willingness to accept that (with his massive nba release clause and all), plus, McHale isn't exactly known for his play-calling.

Multiple reasons.

He has led superteams to no success.
    He has a tendency to get caught up trying to play hero ball, despite having abundant talent around him.
    I'm not sure if he has improved this area of his game lately (I'll admit I haven't watched as much Real Madrid as I'd like this year), but last I saw, he had a lot of trouble dealing with big men hedging out hard on the picks he got. It often ended with him having to reset the play.
    I've never really seen him outplay or even slow down prolific scorers like Navarro or Spanoulis in big games. There might be some counter-examples for this in Navarro's case, since I don't follow their match-ups in La Liga.
    Also, although I hate to say this, the eye test. I know it's kinda useless and bias plays a big role, but he just never won me over.

I might be too harsh on the guy. I'm just not sure on throwing a bunch of money at another scoring guard that needs the ball in his hands.

12. cptnbreakdance

If you watch the last segment of the video, you can hear the announcers pronounce his name full name as, "Sehr-he-oh Yule" Like when your mom says, "You'll do what I say!" Anyone from the south I would assume get the gist of how that is pronounced. haha

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Damn you Spanish and your weird pronunciations! I say it "Lul" in my head, as in lulz.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

any idea what this riddle could mean?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-in-reply-to="581685799965450240"><p>“@<a href="https://twitter.com/fyrebear">fyrebear</a>: how strong are the Rockets chances of being able to being Sergio Llull over to the Rockets next year?” I think pretty good.</p>&mdash; Doc Rocket (@Thedocrocket) <a href="https://twitter.com/Thedocrocket/status/581687795174912000" data-datetime="2015-03-28T05:22:32+00:00">March 28, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The rolling rabbit gathers no moss?

16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It's Doc Rocket, so it must be a riddle, stating something the ovious way would make no sense.
    Let's see:
    Doc Rocket writes "I think pretty good", but we know this is a riddle.
    His statement consists of four words, now let's bold the first letters of each:

"I Think Pretty Good"
    I-T-P-B

But what does this mean? PB obviously means Patrick Beverley, and remember that Morey wants another point guard for our team. Now let's think about our brilliant CF insiders (sources...soon!!!:mad::mad::mad:), who always mentioned a guy with the letters IT...Isaiah Thomas!
    So "I Think Pretty Good" pretty obviously is Doc's attempt to hint at Morey trading Pat for Thomas this off-season.

BUT it get's even deeper and I've found clues hinting at second, incredible trade that will blow your minds.
    Let's take a look at the tweet itself: It was made at 6:22 AM, and we darn well know Doc this is part of the riddle.

Let's think about "6"...it turns out to be Terrence Jones' jersey number.
    Now let's look at players with #22...it's Andre Miller from the Kings.
    But now you guys think "hey, Terrence for Miller makes no sense, what are you doin murray?!"

The tweet was made on 28.03.2015...
    One player with #28 is...Tarik Black(!), who will be brought back by Murray in an effort to make up for letting go of Lowry and Dragic.

The next number is #3, which belongs to one of our youngings, the incredible Nick Johnson.
    Now let's go to the third number, 20. It belongs to our own, very special Donatas Motiejunas, who's becoming a big name in the league.

So, this brings us to the special number 15, which is the last part of this tweet.
    There are plenty of NBA players wearing this number, but one guy on the list is a name that's mentioned a lot in insider circles and rumours...yes, DeMarcus Cousins, the second Kings member of this cryptic Doc Rocket tweet.

Let's revise the numbers game:
    6:22 AM 28.03.2015= T Jones, Andre Miller, Tarik Black, Nick Johnson, Motiejunas, Cousins
    This is Doc's very secret way of telling us that his offseason, the Rockets will trade:

Terrence Jones+Donatas Motiejunas+Nick Johnson for DeMarcus Cousins+Andre Miller

And also end up with Tarik Black for a 2nd round pick.

Taking into account the Pat for Isaiah trade, we will end up with this starting five:
    Isaiah Thomas
    James Harden
    Trevor Ariza
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Dwight Howard
    Cheerleader: Tarik Black

[​IMG]

18. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Probably going to be more smoke and mirrors, rumors and non-news til the offseason - he might have said that to avoid distractions from the Euroleague playoffs. I think given how much was spent just for his rights, odds are decent he comes over next year. He's not going to get much better playing over there.