1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HoopsHype] Mcgrady let Adelman off the Hook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmoney1101, Jan 1, 2010.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/johnson/2010/01/01/t-mac-still-a-valuable-asset/

January 1, 2010 @ 2:10 pm by Eddie Johnson

Tracy McGrady might not know it, but he just let Rick Adelman off the hook by taking off his uniform and going into exile. Adelman now will be stress free knowing he does not have to worry about looking down the bench and locking eyes with a disgruntled player.

I feel sorry for McGrady because I have seen it all too often and, quite frankly, I experienced it myself playing for Larry Brown in Indiana and in Houston with Rudy Tomjanovich. The very thought that a coach does not believe you can help him win breaks your heart and your spirit. McGrady has played basketball in the NBA since he was 18 and has always been considered a major part of his teams. Now he is healthy and without a team.

When this occurs, the agent and close family members should play a vital role in countering the emotions of an unhappy player. If that is the case with McGrady, then they let him down. He should be still in a Rocket Uniform and waiting for the right opportunity for Adelman to use him more frequently. The Rockets are sure to hit a road bump or suffer a key injury and that would have allowed McGrady to showcase his talents for a team that wants him for the right reasons and not just as a one-year rental for salary cap purposes.

I understand why Adelman is refusing to disrupt his rotation for the highest paid player in the NBA and here are those reasons.

1. Quite simple, they are winning. Why create tension and controversy in the locker room for a player who has missed a lot of games?

2. Adelman has always liked ball movement and McGrady is a catch-and-explore player. The Rockets’ strength is their unselfish nature and tough defense. Why rock the boat for one player?

3. McGrady is a health risk, so why change the rotation for a player that might not last the season?

These reasons alone will not allow McGrady to play consistently. Adelman is old school and definitely will not be influenced to do so.

The only option is a trade and now the challenge for the Rockets and McGrady is to locate a team willing to trade for T-Mac the basketball player and not T-Mac the expiring contract.

Unfortunately, the only teams that will take a look want major cap space next year. So if I was Tracy McGrady, I would move back to Chicago and continue to work with Tim Grover and be ready when the trade happens (if it happens). He will eventually become a free agent and will probably suffer the worst contract drop of any athlete in the history of sports.

A $23 million contract could for all intensive purposes drop to a mid-level contract or below. This will test the love of the game for McGrady and only then will teams run for his services next season. This year, the Knicks or Nets are the logical choices and I believe he will end up with either one before the All-Star break.

I hope McGrady realizes his place as the top scorer is probably over, but he could still be a valuable asset if he checks the ego at the door. I hope he does because he deserves a chance to help someone win a championship next year if he is healthy and ready to play a role.

January 1, 2010 @ 2:10 pm by Eddie Johnson

2. tmoney1101

Somewhat interesting, former Rocket's take on the Mcgrady situation.

We've already been talking about this stuff for days now, though. :rolleyes:

3. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

EDDIE, Eddie, Eddie......

No one got let off the hook here except Grady. He's not having to do a darn thing but sit back and collect his checks. I wish someone would pay me to go to Chicago and work with a personal trainer.

4. mrdan

mrdan Contributing Member

Great insight. This is probably one of the best no-nonsense articles I have read on the situation.

5. tmoney1101

Stacy "Easy Money" Mclady. ;)

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Will never forget EJ's 3

7. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

I actually think McGrady just let himself off the hook. If he wasn't going to get more than 8 minutes, he's
    better off at some other team in which he'll actually get the minutes he deservers/wants.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Star players that lose their skills have a hard time adapting to a new way of playing.

And father time catches up to everyone.

DD

9. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

Great take on the MAC situation..Also great cred coming from a former Rocket!

10. tmoney1101

I agree, the only person who was pushing Adelman for more playing time for Mcgrady, was Mcgrady.

11. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Nice read, thanks for posting

For old times sake, this never gets old to me

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fAcEg6G6L5s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fAcEg6G6L5s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Poor Adelman.
    Phil Jackson copmared him to Hitler in their 2000 Kings-Lakers series.
    He probably handled the Tmac situation badly. But the man walks around with a broken heart thanks to Dtown and some guy named Jordan and the Bulls.

13. tmoney1101

Wins a lot of battles...but never could win the war?

14. tmoney1101

Not everyone can age as gracefully as you DD. :grin:

1101 :rolleyes:

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I doubt anyone can lock eyes with McGrady.....

16. tmoney1101

HA....maybe Stuart Scott. :grin:

[​IMG]

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree that McGrady let Adelman off the hook and went down without a fight. It just reflects his diva personality. He wasn't mentally tough enough to take his frustrations out on the court and prove beyond any doubt he deserved more time. McGrady's way is to pout, poke out his bottom lip and go home.

I, for one, would have gained a lot of respect for McGrady had he continued with the minutes given and let his play do all the talking. If he had performed well, the pressure on Adelman would have become intense.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yeah i didn't expect after just 6 games he would start crying to the media for more playing time already........this was a great opportunity for him personally and all he had to do was keep his mouth shut and make the most of his 7-8 min per game......and he didn't even have the mettle to do smth as simple as that :rolleyes:

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Hmmmmm, so Eddie thought Rudy didn't give him enough PT.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Well as long as we know it's for intensive purposes, I suppose...