1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HoopChalk] James Harden: Defensive Shapeshifter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CarolNYC, Mar 18, 2013.

1. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

Pretty nifty analysis of James Harden's offensive artistry from HoopChalk.

2. nbafever

nbafever Member

From the title, I thought they would be talking about his defense. LOL

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Harden is a Warg who turns into a charging musk oxen when needed.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gq8n447nkoo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

He becomes air bender on defense.. He opens air pathways for opposing shooting guards to get career highs. It's a talent. Only superstars can do that

1 person likes this.
  5. c1utchmatic

c1utchmatic Member

Haha yeah me too, I was imagining something about his defense being along the lines of Jekyll and Hyde

6. nbafever

nbafever Member

Well-written piece, unconventional language, and nice use of the drawings to show the shape of the defense. Made me see defense in a different light. Reminds me of Royce White's comment on how he sees play evolve on court as shapes that are constantly shifting.

boy, if we ever see White on court for us, our offense will really be trouble for our opponents. Imagine him and Harden and Lin together.

7. gah

gah Member

I had a fever dream last night. Harden morphed into Kevin Martin, he was perfectly happy with trading baskets and allowing his man to score easily in consecutive possessions.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I don't think that would be pretty. Seems like all three guys need the all in their hands to be most effective. It's already a task with Harden and Lin, what the hell are we going to do by adding Royce to that mix?

9. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

Agree. From what I saw from Royce White's D-League games, he doesn't have much of a jump shot, so he needs the ball in his hand to play point forward. We already have a guy who doesn't shoot the spot up well (although Lin has improved a whole lot since that dreaded November performances). Multiple offensive ball-handlers on the same team have negative synergy with each other. Adding one more to the equation is just asking for trouble when they need the ball to be effective. Harden is the only person who can thrive off the ball, but he's also the best ball-handler on the team. However, I don't mind having him play the prime Lamar Odom type of role off the bench if he ever pans out.

10. seyton

seyton Member

#bewell

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If there are 3 basketballs in play this lineup is unstoppable.

12. Jedster

Jedster Member

C'mon...imagine what that would do to Asik if they all decided to pass.
    Have some mercy!

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Nice thread content. Really weird how little attention it's getting compared to some other threads.

14. Arthurprescott2

Weird to look at defenses as "shapes," but the article is definitely spot-on. This team can only score cause Harden affects opposing defenses in such a manner. Teams fear Harden about as much as they fear a player such as Kobe.

15. just a word

just a word Member

everyone is too pissed off at the GSW loss

16. conquistador#11

shape shifter? i'd rather him be a shadow person!

if you're north of the rockies please reply...
    west of the rockies hit ENter repeatedly

17. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

You definitely have to admire what's happening in those videos... but, to my eyes, what's happening is that the defenders are demonstrating a lack of discipline. They're terrified of Harden's ability to drive, and they don't believe he'll be adequately defended by his man, so they're collapsing to try to affect him.

In other words, I don't see Harden masterfully manipulating the shape of the defense. I see defenses freaking out about an incredibly good dribble penetrator. Where am I going wrong?

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Well, the author is showing successful offense, which often involves defensive failures. If the videos all showed ideal defense, they would probably accompany a different article. I suppose you could have vids of ideal defense in which Harden still scores anyway, but the author is interested in this "shapeshifter" idea.