1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Honest assessment of Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, May 11, 2019.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Gut wrenching loss, should not have happened for the way the Warriors played in the 1st half and lack of putting their stamp on the game. There was a clear feeling to me that the Rockets were just waiting for an opportunity to seize this game, we kept trailing and exchanging baskets but at no point did we force our will on the game. It really felt there for the taking the wya it was going, but we failed as a team. Now while that may be true, you have to look at your best player in this case.

In my honest opinion Harden failed us. Maybe not like in previous years, but when it mattered most, he just didn't do enough and even put himself out of it. Now, I understand fans want to keep riding with Harden and don't think a guy who went nuts for us in the regular season and did a solid enough job to even get us in this position - also enough in this game - should get the blame, but you have to be honest here and admit that it doesn't look good when your MVP doesn't come through especially when it's partly effort related.

His lack of fire and effort are the biggest knocks on him to me and he deserves all the criticism in that regard. At least play your heart out and pounce on them when Curry and or Green are in foul trouble, KD out etc. He hustled for 1 or 2 plays maybe and got some steals sure, had some nice baskets in the 4th sure, but the lack of defense and aggression was clearly showing. We had this game and Harden didn't want it bad enough. He's just not that guy and we all knew this, feared it and now it's proven again. It's no game 6 of the Spurs, and it's also arguably on Morey and MDA's philosophy but the things Harden can control are where he failed.

For instance, look at his body language in key moments of this game:
    - 2 minutes left, passes the ball nonchalantly to Gordon, like here you go get us a basket and didn't even look to get involved in the play.
    - 1 minute left, passes the bal sloppily to CP3 leading to a TO after a made basket.
    - a couple of plays late in the game where he didn't even bother to close out on Iggy and when Nene and Tuck forced Curry into that missed shot, he was just relaxing behind Looney who grabbed it and put it in with 2-3 seconds left.

Those plays are inexcusable from your MVP and it's maybe unfair since he played a very solid game, but that is why you get paid the big bucks and people look at you to lead us to a victory. Don't give me that he had 4 steals, 35 points and what not, because I can counter with 5 missed FTs, 6 turnovers and 11-25 shooting overall. He was ball watching on rebounds, not boxing out, lost Klay and Iggy on several occasions and shot again some awful late in the shot clock contested threes with Iggy all over him - like KD in game 4.

All in all, whether fair or not, your best player and MVP candidates should be held to the highest standard and Harden failed. He just comes up short time and time again and it's mostly because he just doesn't have that extra juice and even the determination to get it done that Curry clearly showed at the end of the game. It is what it is and think about it: if this version of Harden, the 36 PPG guy who went nuts during the regular season, cannot get it done, then will he ever?

ilias and bmelo like this.
  2. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

He needs to see a psychologist to help him overcome whatever that’s making him the mental midget he is.