1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Homeland

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Sep 15, 2011.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

After a slow start and a misfire (first female president ala Hillary), Homeland delivers yet again with a prescient commentary on state of the intelligence community, fake news, and the power of social media engineering. It's almost too chilling not to be true. Welcome to post-truth. Dar Adal may as well be Steve Bannon.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think the head of the fake news agency is more like Bannon.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rupert Friend (Peter Quinn) going for an Emmy for Supporting Actor in a Drama. Don't they love to give those awards to roles playing the disabled.

ferrari77 likes this.
  4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Yes the comparison fits much better, but he is suppose to be an Alex Jones type. Still, I only meant that Dar Adal like Bannon was the true puppet master pulling the strings of power, not madam president-elect.

5. bobrek

Just don't go full r****d

heypartner likes this.
  6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

stopped watching after like episode 2 when they decided the enemy is the FBI and Mossad, and that Iran doesn't want nukes

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Is this show still good? I lost interest the season Saul moved away. I think early season 4.

Thinking about picking it back up.

8. bobrek

Saul is still in the show. I like it. It's not as good for me as the 2 Brody seasons, but it still keeps me entertained.

9. heypartner

So, how many times has Carrie said "NO...don't open that" then "BOOM!" seems like more than once.

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

This has been my favorite season of Homeland

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Quinn is the most badass disabled character though.

heypartner likes this.
  12. heypartner

Yeah, Rupert Friend is just knocking it out of the park. Although some of the early episodes this season had scenes with him that were difficult to watch, I'm finding it to be a big payoff in character development ... something that shows like Walking Dead have forgotten how to do.

spoiler about last episode -- my opinion only

Looks like Dar Adal is pivoting to become a good guy again (name of next episode could be a spoiler of that)....maybe realizing he unleashed a monster in O'Keefe. Pure speculation, but the closing realization of Dar that the President-Elect is the primary interest of Quinn's fake, social media account that O'Keefe is creating might be a set up for placing blame on an assassination attempt.

Might be hard to wrap that up in the last episode though, but then again, that mercenary squad is already on the move.

The plot hole to that is they legitimately tried to kill him at the lake house. He had to go under water to avoid being shot.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I am not sure if I liked this season or hated it. There is too much speculative parallels to current political affairs. The show treats the POTUS as if its a dictatorship. I imagine the next season will be its last.

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think Dar Adal hinted at it best ... theres something not right about the President. Maybe theres a Russian connection ... maybe this pushes Mathison back into the CIA.

All in all season was ok ... but clunky in terms of plot.

15. PeppermintCandy

I can't find the link but I read an article in which the showrunners admitted that they changed course midway due to Trump winning the election. The fake news storyline became a larger part of the story.

Also, their goal was to somehow bring Mathison back into a governmental position, as you mention, for the final two seasons of the show.

#1015 PeppermintCandy, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I thought the season was ok... but the crammed way too much into the last 2 episodes (Which were both good).

A lot of the earlier episodes were unnecessarily slow and basically just excessive filler. They devoted more episodes setting up the political ideology/beliefs of the driver who was framed (and ultimately a red herring/patsy) than they did to the actual culprits of the conspiracy.

I'd rather these shows get 8-10 high quality episodes... vs. 12 episodes that has the inevitable 2-3 that are just useless/filler.

Buck Turgidson and GRENDEL like this.
  17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

After much tip-toeing, Homeland finally gets to its thesis on the imperial presidency; power corrupts and absolute power... well, leads to absolute paranoia. Elizabeth Keane was the perfect candidate to change the deep state; unchecked powers of the intelligence apparatus. Now, she is the president with unchecked powers. What looked like a misfire at the start of the season, the Homeland version of Hillary, has now turned into a brilliant commentary on the nature of power. Elizabeth is now closer to Donald than ever, paranoid and leading a witch hunt for both political and personal revenge.

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

I that it was a great season but weak finale

19. Buck Turgidson

Well, they set up the next season....

20. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

This.
    I know he has been nominated before but he put in a heckuva performance this season. Worthy of an Emmy win imo.