1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Home Theater Completed!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chenjy9, Jan 29, 2019.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I finally completed my 5.1.2 home theater setup! It was tough routing wires in an open floor design of a very old house.

Attached Files:

DreamShook, ryan_98, tinman and 5 others like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

What's up with the frog humping the chick humping the tree over there on the right?

That's a pimp-looking setup. Cheers!

3. chenjy9

Supporting Member

It is a HTPC with custom artwork and modding. It's Gaia hugging / merged with a tree with her hair wrapping around the case as vines.

Attached Files:

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wow, envious of your set up. Do you mind telling what your speakers and other components? I wish I had a dedicated room for a HT but unfortunately my hose is too small and like yours, the main room is "open design" so things like light control and speaker placement is difficult.

I have a set of Vandersteen 2c speakers and a B&K amp and preamp sitting in closets, should eventually sell them. Using an old Mirage AVS500 5.1 setup and a Denon receiver.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Nice set up, do you have a home alarm system?

Sajan and Kruze10 like this.
  6. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Thanks! The setup includes:

TV: TCL 65R615
    LCR: Elac Debut 2.0 6.2-Series
    Side: Polk Audio FX300i (set to bipole)
    Top: Dayton Audio SAT-BK
    Sub: Dayton Audio SUB-1200 (will upgrade)
    Receiver: Denon AVR-910w

7. NewRoxFan

Nice... those Elacs get great reviews on the AVS forum. I keep thinking I want to upgrade my TV and get goosebumps seeing the new LG OLED sets (the blacks and colors so dynamic). If I get a larger set (current is a 46" Samsung) I'd need to wall mount and then I could swing larger speakers (center channel) like yours. Are the lefts and rights on some special Elac stand or base?

8. chenjy9

Supporting Member

If you are going to get Elac speakers wait until they are 50% off again if you can. I personally am too scared of burn-in to get an OLED TV. I would rather get something else and potentially use saved money for a better subwoofer.

The Elac speakers came with those stands and spikes for carpet if you need it.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  9. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Same question.

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Which question? Sorry.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how is the tcl? thought about buying that exact model

12. NewRoxFan

I think they were jokingly asking if you have an alarm system.

And just in case people are targeting my Vandersteens... yes, I have two (monitored system and a Ring video setup). Plus two dogs (OK, one is a Cavapoo and the other a Dachshund/Chihuahua mix, but they bark like crazy). :D

13. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Are the "top" channels discrete from the rear channels? Or playing the same signal?

Great job wiring the top along the ceiling, it's hard to make it look that neat.

14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

The TCL is amazing for the price! A few things though...
    • TCL doesn't have the best quality control, so if you do buy it go to Youtube and run a white screen test to see if there are vertical bands.
    • It uses a 60Hz native panel, which you may or may not notice while watching sports with super quick ball movement like football or hockey.
    • Make sure to buy from Best Buy unless you really, really want the voice remote. That way, it is a lot easier to return if there are any issues.
    Side note, per my informal eyeballing of reviews from various resellers between the 2 models, Best Buy version seems to have less issues with vertical banding on white screens.

Thanks, running the wires and raceways were a huge pain! The top satellites are setup for Atmos and DTS: X so typically they are playing their own signal. In a normal 5.1 soundtrack, they should either be playing the same signal as sides or doing nothing. The way the speakers are configured on my receiver, a 7.1 soundtrack shouldn't even be used.

tinman likes this.
  15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Personally, I have ADS Security and a pitbull boxer mix. If that doesn't dissuade would-be-robbers, I am also a firm supporter of the 2nd Amendment and Texas's Castle Doctrine. :D

16. Asian Sensation

It looks Netflix and chill ready. Make sure to get them good pov’s and don’t forget to post on phub.

tinman, Sajan and Harrisment like this.
  17. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Managed to snag a SVS SB-2000 sub with the piano gloss finish for $500 today. As a result, I moved my SVS PB-1000 downstairs to replace the underpowered Dayton SUB-1200.