1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Home Cooking

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by room4rentsf, Dec 11, 2006.

Tags:
  1. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I have been noticing a trend of refs favoring the home teams more often this season and im wondering of others are noticing it too. I am wondering if this is something the NBA is promoting to the refs to help teams with attendance & ticket sales? There are few teams not protecting their home court and I am quite suprised at the home records this year.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I believe this in the wrong forum. You should related a bit to the Rockets so it's not totally off-subject.

3. Nero

Nero Member

Well, while watching that last Minny game, that is the exact phrase which kept going through my head: 'Home Cooking'.

Rightly or wrongly, teams enjoy home cooking. However, I can't honestly say that it is any more noticeable this year than in any other previous years.. but you could be right. I guess one way to check would be to examine foul calls, measure the number of 'referee-ruled turnovers' (ie the infamous 'palming' calls, the ticky-tack traveling calls, etc.. maybe just a sum total of posession changes which have come as the result of a ref's whistle).

I wonder if finding such information is even possible?

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

How about the "stepping out of bounds" call... right in front of JVG in the Wiz game?

There was a lot in that game that you could call "questionable homer" calls.

There were some in the T-Wolves game as well, but not as many as the Wiz game.

5. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

The reason I brought this up was I feel we are officiated much better at Toyota Center (tying this topic to the Rox) than on the road and it seems much obvious than in previous years.

I live in the Bay Area where we get to watch the GSW and the Bulls (Comcast in my area picks up local Chicago channels) and I have noticed a big difference at home.

The Warriors have always been shafted when it came to calls especially late in games but lately the calls have been in favor of the Warriors and they have a suprising 9-5 home record.

Chicago is also 7-2 at home.

Lakers 12-3 at home (thanks to some ridiculous calls in their favor) but the Lakers always get great calls road / home.

just thought it was interesting that I noticed it more and wondered if anyone else did.

J

6. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

i totally noticed it in Washington... speaking of Refs, whats up with the diverse rules officiated by different officials. one game, nit picky in-the-paint fouls, next game, blood doesn't even equal a foul...
    stu jackson is doing a helluva job :rolleyes:

7. kikimama

kikimama Member

You also need to realize players will play more aggressive with home court since their fans are right behind them... and unless you have any kind of stats, this subject is very subjective...

8. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Home cooking or not I believed NBA refs are the most honest, competent, sincere, fair, thoughtfullness,good looking with impeccable moral terpitude!

Signed by:

Every big men who defend Yao in the paint!