1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Home Alarm Systems: Have they saved u?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by krosfyah, Jun 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I paid a monthly fee to ADT for several years. For that lovely fee, I was forced to arm/disarm the alarm every day. The only feedback I ever got is tripping a false alarm...sometimes. A couple times I never even got a response.

I've heard reports that these alarm companies are too slow to respond in the event of a true crime to make a difference. That seems logical since they usually aren't even located in your state much less in your city. Moreover, that the sign in front of your house is more effective than the actual alarm itself.

Question:
    Has anybody ever been DIRECTLY assisted with a household alarm system during a break-in or emergency?

It seems like a lot of money and nobody I know has ever seen a direct benefit. It just plays on peoples fear to make us blisfully keep paying for no real benefit.

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I have a fake sign in my yard.

I really don't see how the response time could be quick enough unless you were being held hostage or something.

I was going to bring up a home security topic myself. I'm wondering what steps forumers take to secure their home? What types of locks, etc.

I'd love to rig up about 4 security cameras someday.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

These things are a scam, sold to poor people. It's a bad business.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

The arming system can protect your family in ways you might not think.

Example: Our next door neighbor arms the house before they go to bed. Well, come to find out, one of their little ones got up at 2 am in the morning (sleep walking i guess) and opened the back door and wandered out in the back yard (which has a pool and was dark). 5 seconds after they opened the back door, the siren went off and they found their lil boy wondering around on the back porch.

5. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Nothing protects your house better than:
    A. a good watchdog. Notice I said a watchdog and not a guard dog. Our Labrador is the best watchdog I've ever seen, but the only thing he'd do to an attacker was jump on him and lick his face. :rolleyes:
    B. Guns. A good 12 gauge is the idea home defense weapon, since the round will not penetrate walls and such and possibly threatening your family while trying to kill the intruder.
    C. Motion detector rigged floodlights. My house is ringed with them. To get anywhere near my house, barn or garage, you will turn the lights on.
    D. Being far out in the woods. It is aprox. a quarter-mile drive down the road that leads from our house to the road through the middle of a dense wood. If you want to get to our house, you've got a lot of walking to do so.

6. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

We've had one for years and I like it. Both my parents and I have been burglarized, but not since we installed the alarms.

A balloon set ours off 2 days ago and the police were here within 15 minutes (Austin).

7. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

We just had one installed and we love the peace of mind it provides. Since I work shift work I worry about my family when I work nights. This helps. We also had two smoke detectors added to the system so that my family is protected in case of fires.

The entire system has already paid for itself. We got a rebate on our home owner's insurance that covered the cost of installation, and the yearly savings on that insurance will be more that the monthly cost of the service. Just didn't make sense not getting it done.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The only problem I have is the monitoring fees. I know for a fact that monitoring cost the retailer about 5-7 dollars a month wholesale and they inturn sell the service to you for 20-27 a month. All they do is call the police if the alarm goes off after they wait about 15 minutes. It's not even automated. Someone actually picks up a phone and calls the police station.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm probably going to put up at least 2 security cameras in the house in my new house. One or two may be hooked up to a time-lapse VCR. Why? I dunno, but it sounds cool. :D

10. SamFisher

Before the assault weapons ban expires, I am going to lead a team of ninjas on an invasion of your house. Or maybe I just did.

11. SamFisher

Maybe some hot young blonde aspiring actresses will move in and start having sex in front of them. That's what happens on Showtime usually.

12. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I pay only $12.95 a month. Plus, automated dialing to police or fire departments is not allowed in most cities.

13. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I agree with bama -- a good watchdog and a few motion-detecting flood lights are about enough for me. If a burglar is willing to deal with a barking dog and a floodlight, they *really* wanna break in. Not much I could do about it anyway.

Although what Behad said about insurance costs does intrigue me...

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Damn, maybe I need more than 3. :confused:

... knowing my luck, I'll end up seeing my neighbor's dogs knockin' boots

15. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

What about door locks? What's best to have installed?

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

This reminds me, I just saw a new tv ad today. This women is walking to her car in some dark alley or parking lot or something and she't doing a voice over about needing to protect yourself. I'm thinking this is about self defense but then she gets to her car untouched and tosses her purse in the seat and it opens up so you can see a gun in there and then the name of a local gun shop comes on the screen.

17. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

double-cylinder deadbolts

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

that's exactly how my lab is. he'll bark up a storm if anyone is near the house. we always tell him to shut up when it goes on more than it should. well, one night he didn't want to quit. i was getting quite restless about it. it turns out that he actually had a purpose. some b**** ass kids broke into my car trying to steal my stereo. and they couldn't even do that. they only damaged the cover to the A/C. ****ing dickheads can't even do their own job right.

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

As I suspected. There is only one story about their kid wandering outside. Other than that, not a single "success story." The only reason proferred is peace of mind.

If somebody has an actual story of how it helped you, please tell us. I'd really like to know before I completely wash the idea from my mind.

That being said, I will check my insurance company about discounts. I might get one if it saves me $$$. I don't actually have to use it...just have it installed to see the benefits. Then I get to use their stickers and signs for real "protection." :)

20. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I use Brinks. I originally planned to go with ADT but their salesman tried to screw me on the $$, so I told him to **** off.

My whole house is wired with motion detectors, glass breaks, and motion-detecting flood lights. Since I've owned the house (3 1/2 years), it's gone off while I wasn't at home a total of two times. Both times during the day while I was at work. My folks live less than a mile from my house. They are on my call list. Both times the alarm went off, they and I were contacted, and by the time my folks made it to my place (5 minutes) the Constables were waiting for them.

Home alarm systems are a good thing. At the very least, they will make a burglar think twice. Only two houses on my block do not have alarm systems, and they are the only two houses that have been broken into since I've lived on the block.