1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Holic wins, Rockets sign Anthony Bennet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 12, 2019.

1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Actually like this a lot!

Rockets Rule likes this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The shot at 3:07 is smooth

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

But does he have the desire to set the pick?

[​IMG]

Seriously, if he becomes a rotation guy and injury insurance, I'll be thrilled. Definitely worth the miniscule risk.

Rockets Rule, slothy420 and D-rock like this.
  4. vick

vick Member

Morey says, if i can't get Iggy, let me sign a player from the G league dumpster.

5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Quick take from watching the highlights...
    - Dude is in best shape of his life
    - Amazing 3pt shooter. He's got a quick release and shoots off the dribble as well as catch/shoot. Very fluid release.
    - Good ball-handling skills for a big
    - Nice court vision, one pass underneath to cutting big was special because of the timing
    - Reads passing lanes well and anticipates pass

My questions from highlights...
    - How does he rebound for his size?
    - How is he at position defense and can he move his feet to stay with guards?

Overall, this may not turn out, but he looks like he could be similar to House offensively. Glad we're adding guys like this instead on MCW types. AB looks like he's been working on his game and at 26 what's not to like about this signing?

6. mockster

mockster Member

He’s our new faried. Bringing players back from the dead.

D-rock likes this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dr. Moreystein strikes again!

dkim1984 and mockster like this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Anthony Bennett signed before Carmelo Anthony.

Actual picture of how Melo looks to NBA GMs right now:

[​IMG]

Remlap likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

I mean if House can get mins last year why can't Benett this year? He's not a rookie, he's already 26 yrs old and his GLeague averages were comparable to House's:

House GLeague 2017: 17.5 pts 6.3 rebs 34% 3 pt 60% TS
    Benett GLeaguec 2018: 12.2 ppg 4.5 rebs 45% 3 pt 72% TS (!!!!!)

House has more raw stats but Benett was ridiculously more efficient. He can def get 5-10 mpg if his head is screwed on right. If it works out I can see him being our new Ryan Scrubberson but at 3-5M a year instead of 18.

travfrancis likes this.
  10. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stretch mark 4

chievous minniefield and D-rock like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

He isn't a hustle guy he has a low motor and is perpetually risk of getting out of shape so he won't get a lot of rebs but his shot has become pretty deadly so he can have value as a spacer. You can see him as a black Ryan Anderson more than anything else.

He is also either extremely mentally tough or extremely simple minded. Here he is talking about his journey to the GLeague, I'm not sure if he is dead inside or just doing his best Kawhi impersonation:

[

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Might just be embarrassed AF.

13. Remlap

Remlap Member

Hopefully D'Antoni's system can make his star shine bright again . . .

rockets1995 and Rockets Rule like this.
  14. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

15. Rocket_Man_2.0

Good pick up...he was the #1 pick for a reason! Big Bennett ready for a comeback!!

Rockets Rule likes this.
  16. Rocket_Man_2.0

If Rockets are going to beat teams like Clippers, Lakers, Warriors...they have to think outside box!!

rockets1995 and Rockets Rule like this.
  17. T.MAC

T.MAC Member

Now in just a few days we have added a former MVP, a former defensive player of the year and a former first pick. Well done DM

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We go all in! Where are Michael Olowokandi, Greg Oden and Bargnani these days?

20. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

From what I see in the highlight videos (which obviously will make him look better) Bennett has a really good-looking and smooth jumpshot. Compared to his earlier days in the NBA, he definitely has a quicker release on it and is way, waaaay more confident from the three, though his shot mechanics have always been pretty nice.

He's definitely also lost some weight, and he's always been good for highlight dunks so maybe being thinner will help his mobility as well, though I still don't know about his defensive instincts and positioning--he seems to lean towards the ball-watchy side on that end, which isn't great.

I don't think he's a really high energy player, he never has been and that generally isn't a teachable skill. Some players like Montrezl just have that natural hustle and motor which Bennett seems to lack. Not that he's lazy, but he's just not one of those guys.

He never should have been drafted number 1...but that doesn't mean that he wasn't a consensus lottery pick either. He's a good pickup and, as lots of folks already said, very low-risk since he's on a non-guaranteed contract anyhow. I also don't think he's a low reward guy either--in my opinion the best case scenario is that he ends up a solid backup four and a good rotation piece, which is exactly what we need.

TLDR: I think he's a good shooter with good offensive tools with average to bad defense and a questionable motor.

WAIT THAT'S WHAT MELO IS

Hakeemtheking likes this.