1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hmmm... I guess Steve really moves to 2 doesn't he?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Newgirl, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

Steve said he wanted to be more of in a "scoring mode". I guess that he's realized that with Yao around, the team couldn't afford to have their point guard and shooting guard each taking 20 shots a game, so it's either him or Cat doing that and he wanted to be the one doing that. I think Cat will be moved to the bench or another team this summer.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/1853696

Guard comparison

Before the comparisons with Allen Iverson began, Steve Francis emulated the Sixers' guard. He mimicked Iverson's crossover dribble and became an explosive scorer, fitting somewhere between point guard and shooting guard.

But Iverson was moved to shooting guard, while the Rockets needed Francis to man the point, the position he preferred.

Now, however, Francis said he would like to copy one more move.

"I wouldn't mind," Francis said of a move to shooting guard. "Would it help my team? I don't know. I would love to be more of in a scoring role. But I've got to do what I've got to do. They want me to move the ball around, and that's what I do, and score occasionally.

"He's (Iverson) moving the ball around. And if his guys are hitting, it can be a long night. But it always goes back to him, especially at the end. That's why he can score so much. And he has confidence in all his shots, the leaning ones, the ones that I wouldn't take. But he's a good player regardless."

2. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind that move either. But before that happening, we need a true point guard, someone like T.J. Ford. But that isn't happening anytime soon. So we'll just see.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

IF STEVE MOVES TO THE TWO . . . WHO CAN WE *LEGITIMATELY* GET TO BE PG? [without getting raked over the coals]

MOOCHIE AT THE 1 SPOT IS NO WHERE NEAR THE FRICKIN ANSWER!

Avory Johnson but he like 100 yrs old
    Kenny 'slut from MTV Real World's husband' Anderson

What other Good to Above average PGs out there?
    they need to be free agents. . .
    or not gonna cost us too much in personell
    [we drafting in the second round this year ]

Rocket River

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Gilber Arenas, Andre Miller to name 2.

DD

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think Golden State is not that insane
    and
    well doesn't Miller want MAX MONEY?
    can we afford him
    Honestly . . . for the money miller asking for
    it seems BRAND maybe available and I'd deal with
    Steve stayin at the 2 or even Moochie at the 1
    to get my hands on brand

Rocket River

6. alaskansnowman

Isn't Arenas more of a scoring pg himself?

Also, even if Steve moves to the 2, he still has to make his teammates better. Moving to the 2 is not going to take away from that ultimate responsibility that all franchise players have. Regardless of position, Steve is going to have to get "it", and once he does, it doesn't matter if he is playing the 1 or the 2.

7. Sane

Sane Member

Arenas is as much of a PG as Steve is. Arenas always says how he wishes he could be a 2 and not worry about distributing the ball again.

Eric Snow
    Jeff McInnis
    Brent Barry
    Gary Payton
    Derek Anderson at the 2, but handling the ball

I'd take a great look at those guys.

8. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lamar Odom

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

With what, the mid level exception? Even a deal involving Mobley wouldn't get it done because both of them will get more than cat in their deals.

This article is less about Steve wanting to move to the two spot and more about him being asked the question repeatedly, particularly because he was in Philly and comparisons have been drawn between him and Iverson.

My personal feeling is that moving him to the two would be an absolute defensive disaster. However, I do aknowledge the need for him to be a little more active without the ball. In that instance, having a two guard or small forward that can handle the ball is, IMO, a better solution than moving Francis to a permanent spot at the two.

I know everyone has gone round and round on this issue, but Steve isn't Iverson. He doesn't have that kind of scoring mentality or the defensive tenacity. Putting him at two also means an automatic mismatch defensively almost every night on the floor, especially in the west with Finley, Kobe, Allen, Szerbiak, etc.

On both ends of the floor, it makes more sense to keep Steve at the one and just bring in someone who can share the ballhandling duties. If you notice, Posey is handling the ball more and so is Cat. That is a better option than weakening the Rockets defensively just to get Steve to the two.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not to Steve: you are still gonna have to move the ball around. And in the end, it's gonna go to Yao.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

edit: Note

12. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Robert Pack Kenny Anderson Jason Kidd :) Michael Redd Brent Barry :) Jason Terry ;) Mike Wilks Emanual Davis :) JR Bremer Shammond Williams Jon Barry Richard Hamilton :) Gilbert Arenas...
    Earl Boykins!!!!!! Erick Strickland Lamar Odom Andre Miller Brian Shaw Eddie House Travis Best Sam Cassell Darrell Armstrong
    Jacque Vaughn Kenny Satterfield Randy Brown Antonio Daniels
    Jeff McInnis Brent Price Jim Jackson Damon Jones Speedy Claxton
    Steve Kerr Kevin Ollie RAFER ALSTON Mark Jackson

There are plenty of players we can get. But we probably can't afford many. Even though these aren't like stars, MOST of them are probably better than Moochie.

But what would happen to Cuttino? Would he be like our Aaron McKie? 6th man.....

But of course. If we could get Elton Brand, I would be satisfied with anyone.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Jeff is right. Steve would be a defensive liability at the 2. What we need is to keep Francis at the PG spot and get a "combo guard" like an Alvin Williams or Brent Berry that is tall enough to play 2 guards on defense but can pass the ball and play PG on offense freeing up Francis. Or you can look for a point forward type of player but those types of players are much harder to come by. That really is the only solution.

14. Powerslave

Powerslave Member

If the Spurs get Jason Kidd this offseason, couldn't we make a play for Tony Parker? He is a true point guard and I think he would fit right in here.