1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

hmm foyle?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TeXaSalsa, Jul 26, 2000.

1. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

havent posted in a while but read somewhere that golden st. wants fortson badly. they r overstocked at pf.. and is adonal foyle a free agent? and they want our trade exception... hmm any1 think the rox would do a 4.5 mill trade exception a future 2nd rounder and bryce drew for a signed sealed and delivered foyle?

hmm i think he's worth tkaing a risk on he's a big guy that might turn into somethin just wondering. what do u guys think?

------------------
    --TEX

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

i think there plan is for Foyle to be Centre

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't think Cowens will let Foyle get away. Man the warriors are gonna be good this year. Cowens is a very good coach.

------------------
    "Don't think twice, its allright"

4. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

The latest scoop on Foyle (which was before Fortson became a possibility) had him as a lock to re-sign, based largely on his good relationship with Cowens, the new head coach.

The pitch to Foyle has been that he would get backup minutes at both C and PF (he sees the latter as his true position). I don't know how getting Fortson will affect this -- possibly not at all, since Jamison at PF was (IMHO) a stopgap solution the W's will happily abandon if they can. The rotation I think GS foresees is as follows (players "in between" two positions back up at both spots):

C Dampier
    Foyle
    PF Fortson
    Marshall
    SF Jamison
    Mills
    SG Hughes
    Sura/V. Cummings
    PG Blaylock

Foyle's game is essentially that of a center in a PF's body. He is NOT tall enough to succeed as a starting center; if you don't believe me, look again at the Warriors' W-L record or defensive stats for last year. He may not be quick enough to thrive at PF either, but he hasn't had much chance to prove himself either way at that position.

His strengths include shot-blocking, general hustle, and ability to run the floor as a C. His low-post game won't make him an All-Star anytime soon, but it's gotten steadily better over the years, and his once-awful hands aren't as bad anymore.

His weaknesses are no perimeter game (I can't recall ever seeing him take a jump shot) and a serious deficiency in team basketball IQ. Foyle began learning the game very late in life, and it doesn't come to him instinctively. Although his timing on blocking shots can be excellent, he gets caught out of position on defense all the time. On offense, he can succeed only in specific roles on textbook-style plays; if he has to improvise or adjust, you're in trouble.

------------------

5. SmeggySmeg

Foyle is a keeper for Warriors cause he has so many purposes

• [a]Foyle could be used to wrap up leftovers,
      or put on the top of cooked meat on a plate to keep the heat in
      [c]or used in the making cheap space costumes

Overall he's a multi purpose player.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SmeggySmeg (edited July 26, 2000).]

6. Swopa

LOL . . . hey, is [c] a slam at the Warriors' mascot?!?! [​IMG]

------------------

7. SmeggySmeg

no slam on the warrioirs mascot, I was thinking more in the sense of dress up/costume parties, especially when you young and if you wanted something with in a space theme you used Foyle.

------------------

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

space costumes? [​IMG]

------------------
    "Don't think twice, its allright"

9. Swopa

See Smeg, you're confusing the locals.

I guess it's understandable. They think that adding a space theme to a costume involves pinstripes.

------------------