1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[History]Hitler Bodyguard Dead at Age 96

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Sep 6, 2013.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Not sure RIP is the proper sentiment here. No way he didn't know about the Holocaust. Notable merely for the chapter in history it closes.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

and he never told us jokes about Hitler??? Good riddance.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I have nothing not negative to say.

4. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Auf Wiedersehen

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

He should have been killed a long time ago. Should have never made it out of the bunker alive imo.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But if he had died, this line would have died with him.

"The boss is being burned. Come on out."

7. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

“I lived with him for five years. We were the closest people who worked with him … we were always there. Hitler was never without us day and night.”
    And yet he didn't know about the holocaust...give me a ****ing break...

8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Damn, Inglorious Basterds was such an awesome film.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't feel anything about him either way. He was a functionary with no real influence on Hitler's decisions; and whatever you think about specific leaders I don't believe any expects them to not have bodyguards. It's clear his denial indicates a loyalty to Hitler and possibly his ideas: or just blind patriotism. He's obviously lying about not knowing anything about the Holocaust; but the same could probably have been said for any industrial, transport or governmental professional, or a large portion of the German people.

10. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

He is going to join Hitler doing this...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eZQw6KuNKqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Good riddance.

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

So ze Germans never put him on trial after he returned from the Soviet Union?
    I know he didn't work in the concentration camps but come on, it's still Hitler's bodyguard. Some charge of accessory or something could have been placed on him. The guy just served his nine years in the Soviet and returned to Berlin to live his life huh. Nice.

13. B-Bob

There was such a mess and a mass of Germans (and Deutschvolk, people of German ancestry living in nearby countries for generations before the war) sent back into the various occupied areas of Germany, with (initially) four different governments, that yeah, it was kind of live and let (barely) live in a lot of cases. EDIT: and in this case, he probably came back to east berlin, DDR land, Soviet puppetry, so why would they put a guy on trial who had been released by the USSR, if you see what I mean?

I was just reading (in the new book Savage Continent) that 1/3 of all Germans captured by the Red Army ended up dead. That's one million soldiers and civilians, killed or starved in captivity. So it seems natural that if someone survived that, they could just come back to their (completely ruined and divided) country and try to live a life. (A captured German had about a 100x better chance of surviving with the Americans than the Russians. Just incredible.)

I don't feel one ounce of sympathy for this turd -- that's not my point -- but the post-WWII era is pretty fascinating.

#13 B-Bob, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  14. supdudes

supdudes Member

Rest in Peace.

Glad he survived the POW, and went on to live a fulfilling life.

15. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

always love reading stuff about WWII.

anyone ever see the movie downfall? der untergang (in German) is a movie about Hitler's last days when the red army was closing in on Berlin,much like what is depicted above. good movie, though everyone rips off the angry Hitler video parodies from it.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oooooookay.......

I was going to say, 9 years in a Russian gulag was definitely no picnic. By some accounts, they were as bad as the German concentration camps. I'm surprised he survived, frankly. Especially if they knew who he was.

When the Americans and Russians were racing towards Berlin, the German people (and what was left of the soldiers) were praying that America would get there first. They knew what they were in for if the Russians got there first. Suffice to say all the refugees were traveling West, not East....

17. xcamm1

xcamm1 Member

I found this article to be fascinating. Just to be able to see a glimpse of the human side of Hitler to me is very interesting.

18. B-Bob

Yeah, Eisenhower wanted nothing of a race to Berlin and he stopped at the Elbe river.

And you know, there were refugees going all kinds of directions. You're right about most of the *German* refugees, but then there were all these prisoners liberated from the work camps and concentration camps, and sometimes home was to the *east*, come what may...

The i-witness accounts, of both the streams of refugees and the Red Army, paint it like something out of The Road Warrior.

19. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Indeed. People tend to label Hitler a monster, demon, devil, etc. But we must always remember: he was a man. A human being, much like many others. Too much power, too many misguided ideals, too much racism, etc. made him a genocidal tyrant. But still and all: he was only a man.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

2/10 troll job.