1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Historic North Korea/South Korea Meeting - Trump Peace Prize?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Apr 30, 2018.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Don't be silly. Did any of the usual policies so loved by the US bilateral "defense" experts from the 1960's through the Bushes and Obama do much to keep Kim from wanting nukes?

As for Trump, the moderate corporate friendly policies of the Dems especially from old DLC favorite Bill Clinton to the present are why the working class sees little difference between the parties and either voted for the Orange Buffoon or stayed home-- with some voter suppression action from the Repubs of course.

I can see doing all sort of actions to frustrate or stall Trump, although not as effective as usual since as a sociopath, he does not experience normal anxiety. I just don't think we should reinforce the war/ big military budget spending fetish as one way of doing it.

Hey spend another few trillions on defense to "send a message" or whatever and then claim we cannot have national health care, free 4 year college (at a measly 50 billion per year) or whatever. I really don't think it helps to prevent Trump types.

2. Nook

Nook Member

You aren’t ever getting high quality national healthcare and you are never getting free college for everyone. You can keep pushing for it, but it isn’t happening. We don’t even need free college. People should pay for college, it should just be affordable. College isn’t for everyone and there should be a sacrifice involved.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

No Worries likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

trump being "interviewed" by hannity the night after the summit ended...

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

Every time someone says "trump has hit a new low"...

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So do you think it's better to leave the uninformed ignorant of the world as it actually is, glynch? Ike had the interstate highway system built primarily for military reasons. Americans use it everyday for their own reasons. Should we pretend that Eisenhower built it strictly for American cars and trucks? More to the point, should we "hate" Eisenhower for doing it, or anyone who served in his administration who was involved?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

8. glynch

Why be so small thinking and self defeating wrt to healthcare or perhaps very content with your own insurance and not very concerned with others lack. Ok, not everyone will go to college. If you examine the more detailed real plan, it includes things like paid apprenticeships etc for those who are not going to 4 yr colleges.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The sacrifice that should be involved isn't your parents bank account but academic merit .

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. glynch

Of course, knowledge of the world in the abstract is good. Duhh It should be noted that the Bush II NSA brought us Iraq II and no progress on N. Korea. The more informed Bush I started unnecessary wars on Iraq and Panama. I am not sure whether starting unnecessary wars and arms races whether with much study or without is that much better.

I am not really sure why you pivoted to Eisenhower and the Interstate Highways, but let me join you in being in favor of the Interstate whether it was started by a Dem or Repub.

11. NewRoxFan

Loosely translated.... "f#$k no..."

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. biff17

biff17 Member

I have idea why you responded to my post with this.

i have no issue with NK having nukes or do I support the ever increasing military spending.

You are just spouting of talking points that have nothing to do with what I posted.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Gotta break some eggs to make omelet, Sheeple!

Derp derp smrt

14. NewRoxFan

Does either bolton or trump this makes this less horrible?

15. dmoneybangbang

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

We'll see, but I tend to agree (NK doesn't have access to the oil resources that Iran does, so I hold out some small hope). I made the same argument with regards to Iran on a different board...and Iran didn't already have nukes. When you aren't going to achieve that objective (have them get rid of their nukes), then the more pragmatic approach is to work on making sure you have a successful relationship going forward. Enacting a bunch of punitive measures to try to achieve something that isn't going to happen can work against that.

This is also why I was a little taken aback by the very strong rhetoric at the beginning of this process about how preventing NK from getting nukes 'by any means necessary' was essential. As you indicate...that meant war. And no one was going to go to war....so why make that rhetoric? But apparently that was successful, and the rhetoric is vastly toned down now.

I do know that talking about whether or not Kim knew about what was going on with Warmbier is vastly less threatening than talking about imminent nuclear war.

17. Buck Turgidson

That's a totally ****ed up Trumpian statement, right there.

This is the world we live in, and these are the hands we're given...

Nook likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

trump is now blaming the cohen hearings for his walking away from the deal... this is the type of lie that should be criminal...

Harrisment and No Worries like this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

The dotard was taken to the cleaner !

while the murderous dictator from NK made no concession,
    the dotard made this concession B I G L Y, cancelling joint military exercise w South Korea
    , as well as giving Kim a pass on the torture / murder of American of Otto Warmbier in NK prison​

20. NewRoxFan