1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HISD Interim Superintendent Removal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Oct 16, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

HISD board of trustees removed a black female interim superintendent only to immediately reinstate her due to charges of racism.

They voted a male Hispanic in before the reversal. Im not sure what the overall underlying issues were but i do think the divide is between Hispanics and Blacks

Just fyi 62% of hisd students are Hispanic 23% black. I don't think that should have any bearing on who the superintendent is.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...ace-interim-superintendent-after-13306658.php

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think it is about the ways and means of doing something
    Some thought the process to permanence was taking too long
    so they thought if they put in someone no one wanted that it would force the other side's hand
    in hurrying up the process

I don't recall too too much about Abelardo Saavedra tenure but
    I don't think HISD from 2004 to 2009 was considered the Golden Age of HISD EDUCATION

Evidently some don't like the interim Super Intendent.
    and don't want her to have the perm position
    why they don't like her or don't want her has not been revealed
    It could be that they simply want a hispanic person . . . but I cannot say I have seen that anywhere

Rocket River

pgabriel likes this.
  3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I can’t believe the illiberals are not in here celebrating this learning moment.

To be honest, HISD is so far beyond salvageable that these decisions are really pointless.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I watched it live, it was pretty hilarious watching the temper tantrum over removing Lathan, worse was that they made it very clear that their support was based on her skin color.....but I guess these days that shouldn't be too surprising but it should have been pretty embarrassing for HISD and hammers home that maybe they should get taken over by the state.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't think we have the whole story. I will say this,some blacks feel they have lost control of traditionally black campuses and feel they are losing some history.

I don't know if that's the issue here, regardless on the subject i usually tell black people we don't own hisd

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps not, I was just saying that's the impression they were giving off when I watched it live. There was a lot of "HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT A BLACK WOMAN LIKE THAT" type comments when they suggested that they have her go back to her former job and have another person take over the job that isn't seeking the job permanently while they do the search. Looking at it from a completely impartial place, it made perfect sense to do that. If you have an interim superintendent vying for the job while currently doing the job, not that many people will even attempt to get the job since they'll assume she already has it in the bag. You get better candidates if you don't have a current interim superintendent trying to stay on permanently......but the notion of a black woman being removed from a job months after her contract ran out was far too disrespectful for the board members that clearly only view her by her skin color.

The whole thing was pretty hilarious to watch.