1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hire Yao To Be Our Free Throw Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketman1979, Jan 29, 2008.

1. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

2. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

It is simple. Practice. That's how a very unathletic 7'6" got to be good a free throws.

Indeed almost any NBA player could be good at FTs they simply don't have the drive to get better.

3. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Practice is only one component. You have to practice the right thing. That is why Chuck is actually getting worse since he is ingraining the wrong habits.

You either have to be smart enough to figure it out yourself or get feedback from others who know what they are talking about and know how to teach.

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

You can't really teach people to be hardworking when your free throws don't show up on sportscenter and get you shoe contracts.

5. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Agreed. It takes professionalism and drive. Chuck doesn't seem to understand that his NBA career is at stake since he can't / won't improve his offense.

6. wolfsheep

wolfsheep Contributing Member

We should bundle Hayes with Novak. They learn from each other. Wouldn't that be wonderful? :D

7. The Brian

The Brian Member

actually yao is amazingly athletic at 7'6". :confused:

just look at that tall college player, kenny george.

8. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

For a 7'6" he's athletic. Compared to a typical NBA player, he is an clumsy stiff. But through hard work and dedication, he's made himself into a premiere player.

9. FFz

FFz Member

maybe rockets are just bad at depth perception from 15 feet?

Maybe its the arena? Or some crazy hater that takes pictures wiht superflash every time a rocket shoots a ft?

10. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

It depends on which NBA player you're talking about. Even against a guy like Dwight Howard Yao can post up with his back to the basket and then beat him on a spin and drive for a layup/dunk. At 7'6" that is simply freakish.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sign him to the veteran minimum contract for 6yrs and hire him as the FT coach for 14mil a year. ;)

12. Man

Man Contributing Member

Definitely!

Haha, I love Chuck's free throws!

13. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Yes, but he is often off balance and falls down more than any other NBA player. Without all his hard work, he'd be a big stiff. Yao is great because of his work ethic. It is a shame that our other star doesn't have the same approach to the game ....

14. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

I ever met him once. He was sitting on a chair and I did not feel he is that tall. But he stood up, then I realized how big he is. Really a monster to me :D

I hope he could teach me how to shoot FTs (though I just want a handshake with him :p )

15. absent2007

absent2007 Member

sometime, when I saw Yao being stripped by a small player, i called him stiff, but for a 7'6 stiff, he do work so hard to become a star stiff, he might be the most skilled 7'6 stiff...

Today, in NBA TV, the host said one thing so true about Yao "the man is warrior, you think a flu might stop yao playing? the man will play with pain, seriously, he only miss games for what --broken bones"...

16. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

on the rare occasion that Yao misses a free throw its because he does it on purpose.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ohHoK4-LeuY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ohHoK4-LeuY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:D

17. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

He tries way too hard to get calls from the refs. A 7'6" guy is never going to get a call from a flop consistently so he should probably abandon that strategy.

18. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Maybe some of the time. Most of the time, however, I think it is because of his poor balance.

19. kwng

kwng Member

It's good idea but Yao may not be able to focus on his game practise. Nobody want to see Yao practise less and lost his concentration on games. If we are really interested in Yao skill in achieving 85% FT, we may as well hire Yao chinese coach that train him in FT when he was playing in China.

20. amadeus

amadeus Member

Come on,give him time to rest.Novak will do it better. :D