1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hire Calvin Murphy as Assistant Coach next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tigermission1, Dec 2, 2003.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I know that this has been thrown around before, I have not seen it but I am sure it was mentioned before.

When I am watching the Rockets on TV ever since 1996 I have been very impressed over time with Calvin's understanding of the game and how he seems to notice all the little things the Rockets do right and wrong. I often find myself in complete agreement with the man. He would probably be of greatest help to our guards. I mean the team and the franchise already respect him and admire him, so getting the players to pay more attention to him and really take his advice to heart would be much more likely.

He is an always optimistic guy and seems to do everything with a sense of fun in it, which I believe is what younger teams like the Rockets tend to appreciate.

Hey, if for nothing else, the man can teach the Rockets players how to shoot the damn freethrows!!:(

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

I think Calvin likes the stress free job he has now. If anything he should be their free throw shooting coach during practice or in the off season.

3. edc

edc Contributing Member

Les would never do that. He'd rather hire another Yankee than anyone affiliated with the organization...

4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

No but I would like him to teach our guards how important nailing the midrange jumper is and how much it opens up the whole court if you can score from all around the perimeter. Our guards nailing the midrange jumper consistently especially when we're clanging our threes would be great. Dallas has a large number of good midrange shooters, and it opens up so much of the court and absolutely kills zones being able to stop and pop, instead of having a defender knowing your either going to drive all the way into the basket or are going to shoot behind a pick around the 3 point line.

5. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

They just need a week at the Calvin Murphy basketball school

6. notafaker

notafaker Member

hell no
    i need calvin announcing da games on tv

7. Valio!

Valio! Member

I've been kinda wondering about this myself while watching rocket games. When announcing, Calvin seems partly goofy and partly insightful. I like both elements when he is a commentator. I just wonder how that will translate into coaching. I do believe that he would be able to offer something to our guards. They brought in Ewing to coach The 5... why not bring in Calvin to smooth out stevie and cat (and if possible Moochie)? I dont think any of our guards have improved enough to be where they should. Both steve and cat have the talent to go far. Why not bring in Calvin to put them where they need to be? Though I would miss calvin as a commentator, I'd rather see the rockets win.