1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think it was a mistake not going after Chris Sale

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 24, 2017.

1. what

what Member

Can you imagine Chris Sale/Dallas Keuchel duo? I know the astros didn't want to give up what was needed, but this would have been sweet.

#1 what, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    joeson332 likes this.
  2. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Keuchel and Sale are both lefties. But yes that would be sweet. I'd rather have Tucker and a slightly lesser pitcher though.

3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Last time I checked Sale was not right handed.

4. what

what Member

I thought sale was right handed. Oh, ****.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm not sure Keuchel is the best starting pitcher on the Astros this season. It will depend a lot on health, but McCullers is giving him a run for his money this season so far. Health has been only thing holding back McCullers from being an ace. Pitching deeper into games would help, but he has the lowest xFIP, and ERA (FIP second lowest) in the AL among starters since the beginning of 2016.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I would take Dallas over lance. Keuchel is an innings eater. Even if he doesn't have his best stuff he can still go 6 or 7 inning. Lance is very shaky when he is off.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

McCullers relies heavily on his curve. His curve is a hella pitch, but it is hell on the arm. Cy Young or TJS, neither would surprise me.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

There was an article on this very topic the other day in SI: https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/05/23/curveball-clayton-kershaw-lance-mccullers

Long story short: Scott Boras had LMJ evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon because of the curveball usage. The orthopod basically cleared his curveball delivery as a significant possible source of injury.

This obviously doesn't preclude TJS down the line but it doesn't look like he has particularly high-risk curveball mechanics.

BigMaloe and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Seen stuff like this several times. Not a doctor, but what I've read over last few years indicates the following:
    1. Arm injuries are number 1 indicator of future arm problems followed by velocity.
    2. Mechanics is number 3 indicator (though this may be due to survivor bias [i.e. guys with really bad mechanics have a hard time making the majors due to control issues, looking funny, etc.]).
    3. Guys that throw a lot of curveballs may be more likely to have bad mechanics, though the curveball itself is not the problem.
    4. Telling a guy with bad mechanics to throw more fastballs doesn't fix the problem.

#10 Joe Joe, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    kaleidosky likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Since this thread was posted:

Sale - 2 games, 12.1 innings, 10 runs, 8 ER :)

12. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Sale a righty

Clutchfans at its finest

STR8Thugg and Pen15clubber like this.
  13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Unpopular and incorrect in my opinion. Dallas is crazy dominant. Also his arms seems to be able to put up with more because hes a soft-contact groundball inducer that doesnt throw hard

14. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

In other news what became a hockey fan two weeks ago and a week later was posting about how his predators are going to the finals

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think the Astros made the right choice. Faltered down the stretch just like a certain lefty we got in 2015.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

People wanted Sonny Gray. He couldn’t get out of the 4th inning against the Indians. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t make. Verlander was the RIGHT personality for this team. An older vet to mix in with the younger players.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Sometimes ( basketball reasons) things that seemed really bad work out for you in the long run.

Regardless of whether it was sound discipline or dumb luck, Verlander seems like the best pitcher we possibly could have added, including Sale.

MadMax likes this.
  18. what

what Member

Verlander is an alltime great pitcher and he is playing like it. Sale is good but yeah, give me verlander all day and twice on sunday. The astros got really really lucky to get him.

19. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Does Memphis not have a baseball team

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

To my friends I am definitely eating crow on this one. Verlander at 11:59 righted all wrongs. Meanwhile Bregman is looking like a potential fourth all star in our lineup next year.

And it's not like Chris Sale is bad; the big difference is that he had to face the Astros with their RBI leader Marwin hitting 8th. While Verlander had to face the BoSox who had the fewest homers in the league this year.